Seat Heaters?

Rust problems and repairs, leaky sunroof... Battery, starter, lights, fuses, airco, heating unit, stereo... | Tuning: custom spoilers & bodykits, fiberglass parts...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
Justin

Seat Heaters?

Post by Justin » 01 Dec 2010 01:13 pm

Does the rear window demister switch need to be on in order for the front seat heaters to work? For some reason only the passenger side seat heater works on my car and its only a small section near the back and not the whole seat. How would I go about checking the drivers seat heater in order to repair it? Does it have it's own fuse or could it be that there's a loose connection?
1988 340 1.4 DL

(I suffer with O.C.D. which makes me obsessed with fine detail)

(Diagrams or photos are far more helpful to me when it comes to cars)

L14MNP

Re: Seat Heaters?

Post by L14MNP » 01 Dec 2010 01:24 pm

I doubt the HRW has to be on. The heating element has probably had it tbh mate. I don't have them in my GLS but they will be fused. If the passenger side works then the fuse is fine as it will control both. The side which has been used the most has failed due to wear and tear and old age IMO.

To replace them you will need to deskin the seats (I guess that's remove covers if not leather lol). The heater mats are glued to the seat foam.

As for testing, you could check for voltage and resistance at the plugs (under each seat) where they join the main body loom but I'd say as one is fucked and the other 90% gone then it's a waste of time.
STREETO WITHDRAWL
INTO BURNOUTSsince1982

Justin

Post by Justin » 01 Dec 2010 01:38 pm

Thanks, Im not gonna even bother trying to repair it as it sounds like a right ball ache to do!
1988 340 1.4 DL

(I suffer with O.C.D. which makes me obsessed with fine detail)

(Diagrams or photos are far more helpful to me when it comes to cars)

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 01 Dec 2010 02:34 pm

My passenger one didn't work and all it was was the plug had come off the switch. Check the plugs are connected under the seats too. If mine pack in i'll be getting some aftermarket ones. They are so good in this weather
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'87 760 TDI (D24TIC) - sold
'04 V40 D sport (F9Q, decat, Remapped, launch control)
'89 740 SE (b230ft, 12psi, V-cam, headwork, 'remapped', banded steels)
'86 340 DL 1.4