Sound Proofing

Rust problems and repairs, leaky sunroof... Battery, starter, lights, fuses, airco, heating unit, stereo... | Tuning: custom spoilers & bodykits, fiberglass parts...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
valman

Sound Proofing

Post by valman » 04 Dec 2010 01:39 pm

hello!!
this thread is about soundproofing your v300. has anyone here done it? because im getting a new addition to the fleet next week ( hopefully ),which is a very special find :D , and i plan on doing a full sound proofing jobby on it as i cant alter the stance untill summer :(
what sound deadening material would you recommend?
how much of said sound deadening is needed?
anything else worth knowing?

cheers all!! :340:
ImageImage

Ride_on

Re: Sound Proofing

Post by Ride_on » 04 Dec 2010 06:05 pm

The 300s are pretty well sound-proofed at the factory. If you find yours is noisy then it probably come off or the engine is producing more noise than normal (they do get a bit louder with miles).

There is already alot of sound proofing materials (so much people remove it to make the car faster), I can't think what you could do to improve it without making it noticeably smaller inside. Most of the floor and side have bitumen pads 3mm thick, and the front bulkhead has 11mm of foam and stiff rubber. The floors also have thick sponge and soft rubber mats under the carpet. Some older 360s have bonnet foam but it tend to crumble off, not sure if it made much difference, my 87 one was fine.

The bulk head material tends to peel off, and rust/age can cause the bitumen pads to peel up or crack off. There are some small areas you might fill in but mostly I would just try and bring it up to factory spec. Other than that, burnt valves and worn big ends can make the engine noisier.

At the moment I am trying to find a good replacement for the front bulkhead material (have found a supplier for 3mm pads), some suggest domestic underlay, but I'm not sure its right for a car, there maybe problems with holding water or fire retardancy.
1980 345 DL_______1987 360 GLE (project car restored to GLT spec and B230FT'd)
1984 360 GLT______1987 360 GLT
1983 360 GLS______1989 360 GLE
1985 340 GL_______1986 340 1.4
1985 360 GLS______1995 940 SE 2.3 Turbo Estate (daily)
1987 340 GL 1.7

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 04 Dec 2010 08:07 pm

In my case the original factory bitumen was badly cracked and I could lift the bitumen plates out just by hand and pretty much vacuum the rest of it.. :D So the bitumen wasn't doing any silencing there as it wasn't attatched to metal anymore.

I used Vibroplast M1 to replace the original bitumen. It's a butyl-style mat with aluminium foil on one side so it's much more elastic and easier to install than the bitumen mats which will freeze when cold etc... and can crack easily. I installed those mats to my car when it was around 0 celcius degrees and I didn't need a heat gun so it's very elastic.

Silent Coat replaced the Vibroplast M1 and it's the same stuff but an improved version.

http://www.deadening.co.uk/car-silent-c ... ening.html

http://www.elisanet.fi/mtn/images/autot ... G_3259.JPG
http://www.elisanet.fi/mtn/images/autot ... npuoli.JPG

I'm going to add at least one more layer of that stuff some time in the future. I also need to put some on the roof, doors and boot also.

Another good same type stuff is Dynamat but that is way more expensive. http://www.deadening.co.uk/auto-dynamat.html

I also replaced the original foam type mats on the floor with this http://www.deadening.co.uk/silent-coat- ... tor-8.html it doesn't absorb any moisture so it's lot better here in winter conditions. I used the original heavy-rubber mats and removed the original foam type material and put that new material on the rubber mats.
Volvo R-Sport - Equipment for the car enthusiast.

“Buy land, they're not making it anymore” - Mark Twain

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway

valman

Post by valman » 05 Dec 2010 10:56 pm

cheers for the replies guys,
i see what you say about them already being insulated almost everywhere but when i had a decent install in my first 340 it wasn't fantastic, the bass wasnt clear, nor crisp. there was always one rattle spoiling it, are things like the roof already insulated with bitumen? as i want to get rid of every single rattle that will appear once a filthy tune drops :twisted: i aim to get rid of that "tin can" rattly feeling when the doors shut etc, would it help to put soft padding around the edge of every loose bit of trim? to stop it hitting bits of metal etc
thank you!
ImageImage