Painting advice

Rust problems and repairs, leaky sunroof... Battery, starter, lights, fuses, airco, heating unit, stereo... | Tuning: custom spoilers & bodykits, fiberglass parts...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
Speedy88

Painting advice

Post by Speedy88 » 12 Jan 2011 06:25 pm

After my amateur weldings last year I kinda ran out of paint in the final stages. And then it got icy, and then it snowed and then it was christmas...

The result being that I've already got surface rust. Which is ok, we all need to learn sometime. This time I want to make sure I do it properly. Taking the welds all down flat (some have 0.5mm left sticking out), sanding off the paint. Then apply some underseal to the sills and paint over again in good weather.

So I need advice, can I rely on simply warm weather and heat guns to stop it rusting again? How many coats should I go for? And finally how warm should the metal be?
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

filthyjohn
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: Painting advice

Post by filthyjohn » 13 Jan 2011 01:26 am

Steel loves to rust, ever bought a mild steel wok and cleaned the waxy coating off for the first use? If you leave it damp it'll be orange in a minute. Just purge all the rust off, it shouldn't be deep yet. Mig welds are porous so it's a bitch to stop this happening. my usual is zinc primer before welding, and lots of coats of stonechip paint afterwards. Then Bilt-Hamber Dynax cavity wax on top.
'87 Nissan Sunny
'95 945 LPT
'90 340 3dr
'87 360 GLT
'87 765 TIC
'75 Manta A
'70 Rover P5 V8
'67 MGB GT
'62 amazon 2dr