Is there solution for window leak?

Rust problems and repairs, leaky sunroof... Battery, starter, lights, fuses, airco, heating unit, stereo... | Tuning: custom spoilers & bodykits, fiberglass parts...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
jtbo

Is there solution for window leak?

Post by jtbo » 29 Jan 2011 10:28 pm

WIth my 3dr there is some leaking from door windows, reason is that plastic 'shileds' have been knackered, water enters to door between window and door, which then has rusted bottoms of doors quite well.

Of course you can't get new plastics anymore, well haven't asked, but I guess it is safe to assume that route is no more available, so what next?

I did try to use old windshiled wiper blades, but that did not worked too well.

That is perhaps partly design fault too, as there are quite large gaps at both ends, rather out of ideas for this one, I used to have black electric tape there which does work, but it does not stay on too well.
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

macplaxton

Re: Is there solution for window leak?

Post by macplaxton » 29 Jan 2011 11:41 pm

Water will enter regardless of the weatherstrips.

The name of the game is to keep the drain holes in the bottom of the doors clear and regular rustproofing.
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 29 Jan 2011 11:54 pm

macplaxton wrote:Water will enter regardless of the weatherstrips.

The name of the game is to keep the drain holes in the bottom of the doors clear and regular rustproofing.
But so much of water goes there, more seem to get into door than is running on the door :lol:
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

macplaxton

Post by macplaxton » 30 Jan 2011 01:21 am

Well the weatherstrips will help to a certain degree.

It's like sunroofs, they leak, the main thing is to keep the drain pipes clear.
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

CBA

Post by CBA » 30 Jan 2011 04:58 am

There is a way to satisfactorily renew the weather strips. Find similar or improved ones. Into scrapxard with piece of old strip. Or search catalogues rock auto etc yen you find some tell me. Only got a phone researching and cross referencing would give me RSI. :x

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 01 Feb 2011 01:23 pm

I haven't got any measurements yet but I'm fairly sure there's a 200-series type window weather strip available which would suit for 300-series also if you would remove the lower window molding, so there's only a sheet metal edge there where you could fit the 200-series type strip.

200-series type: http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-200/Exterio ... -259-4090/

I was about to try how the 200-series weather strip would've fit but I got good original ones from Aukki so I haven't done that yet.

http://www.korjakumi.fi/tuoteryhmat/ That place also has huge amount of different weather strip and I'm fairly sure there's one from off shelf which could be adapted for 300-series also with little work.
Volvo R-Sport - Equipment for the car enthusiast.

“Buy land, they're not making it anymore” - Mark Twain

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway

CBA

Post by CBA » 03 Feb 2011 02:22 am

too pricey.
economical but not frugal.
I'm taking measurements, got my lg cookie and it kicks ass, I'll find super cheap weatherstrip or get a length made at appropriate trade shop.. frippin rip off for 8 feet of rubber.

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 03 Feb 2011 09:07 am

CBA wrote:too pricey.
economical but not frugal.
I'm taking measurements, got my lg cookie and it kicks ass, I'll find super cheap weatherstrip or get a length made at appropriate trade shop.. frippin rip off for 8 feet of rubber.
Yeah the IPD link was just an example because it had a good pic. I wouldn't buy weather strip for that price either because you can get the same strip from industrial shops like the mentioned "Korja Kumi", for ~4 euros a metre or something. :)
Volvo R-Sport - Equipment for the car enthusiast.

“Buy land, they're not making it anymore” - Mark Twain

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway

CBA

Post by CBA » 15 Feb 2011 09:19 pm

ok fair enuff.
I'ma try and find something, damn cookie has crumbled! (phone has broken), theres some really well stocked auto shops round here

- I've only lost 1 and a quarter of the strips, the pass door is rotting at the bottom due to it - not too bad but i'd rather put on a new door or chopped off part of door than patch it..

CBA

Post by CBA » 15 Feb 2011 09:29 pm

also the rustproofing is imperative on old steel, locked away so long - yearning to rust.. :( it will Poof! like black powder if it gets o2 and h20... really need to get on it THB