Phantom power on sidelights?

Rust problems and repairs, leaky sunroof... Battery, starter, lights, fuses, airco, heating unit, stereo... | Tuning: custom spoilers & bodykits, fiberglass parts...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
broady81

Phantom power on sidelights?

Post by broady81 » 21 Mar 2011 01:00 am

Hey guys,

Wondering if you could help me with something. In order to improve the output on my headlights, I've relayed them: dipped and main beam. The sidelights have been left untouched.

Basically, my problem is this: dipped and main beam work perfectly. The problem I get occurs when I switch to side lights. I hear a buzzing noise coming from the relay that controls the dipped headlight. I have check the voltage on the control lines (what was the input for the dipped headlight) and they're getting 5V according to my multimeter. 5V isn't enough to switch the relay, hence the buzzing.

My question to you: Why would there be voltage be running to the relay in the first place? Surely the control line should be completely off if it's sidelights only? Secondly, is it even a problem? Can a relay handle 5Vs without it switching, potentially continously?

Any help is appreciated. Sorry if this is a relatively simple solution. I have had a look around online to no avail.

Thanks

Matt
“the winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose” - Dale Earnhardt

bogbasic

Re: Phantom power on sidelights?

Post by bogbasic » 23 Mar 2011 08:57 pm

Could something be earthing through the lead to the headlight? Perhaps it would be worth cleaning up all of the earth points.... keep meaning to do that on mine... if I turn off the sidelights with my foot on the brake, the main beam comes on momentarily.... presumably the brake lights are earthing through the headlights. Sorry to be so vague but (auto)electrics are a mare.
1988 340 1.4 GL, 218k, 5 door (Grey Bess). Gone to CBA.
1991 340 1.7 GL, 64k, 5 door, petrol blue (Deep Blue).
1988 360 2.0 GLE, 140k, 5 door, ocean blue metallic (Blue Bess).
1989 340 1.7 GL, 108k, 3 door (Red Ness).
More info here!

Hell Driver

Post by Hell Driver » 23 Mar 2011 10:12 pm

When I had a problem with the headlights (dipped beam only not working) I found out that the sidelights (small bulb) is illuminated at the same time as the big bulb (dipped/full beam) but the big bulb is only dimly illuminated . Apparently This is normal. My problem with the dipped beam was a poor connection on one of the fuse box plugs. I'm not sure if this helps with your question but may be worth remembering?

Edit
On reading your post again, this must be the reason for the buzzing, just noticed you meant your new relay buzzes. 5 volts must be whats being put through the dipped beam bulb to make the side lights setting a bit brighter (also maybe a failsafe feature in case a small sidelight bulb fails). As for damage to relay, not sure about that but it may burn out the contacts faster?
360 GLE Saloon (D 86)
360 GLS (A 84)
343 DL (W 80) :-)
340 GL 1.7 (G 89)
360 GLS (Y 83)
440 Turbo (J 92)
Transit Tipper 125 T350 (02)Alive Again!
Transit Tipper Smiley face Q reg
Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 (54)
R.I.P. 77 343 DL vario :-(

CBA

Post by CBA » 19 May 2011 07:29 am

have you not shorted something on the dashboard? When I took the clocks out and replaced them I ended up with some of the contacts bent and shorting together - It's too easy to do this so check it out.

broady81

Post by broady81 » 19 May 2011 01:23 pm

Thanks for the tip CBA.

I actually fixed it by taking the Dip-Dim relay out. Problem solved. All that was needed.
“the winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose” - Dale Earnhardt