trouble, help

Rust problems and repairs, leaky sunroof... Battery, starter, lights, fuses, airco, heating unit, stereo... | Tuning: custom spoilers & bodykits, fiberglass parts...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
tim-andre

trouble, help

Post by tim-andre » 08 Jun 2011 10:51 pm

hello
i have some problems with my volvo 360 (87, b200k), the engine wont stop when i turn off the ignition, also the lights wont be turned off. the engine stops when i turn on the parking lights. everything else than the lights and the engine turns off when i turn the ignition off.
i have tried to find a solution to this, but have failed.
i have checked all the relay's, but every one of them seems to work (found 2 inn the engine compartment and 6 inn the dashboard)
i checked the ignition, took all of the 4 kables out, but the lights still shine as bright as before
i also disconnected the ignition module, but the lights still shine
and checked if the earth wiring to the engine was faulty

i have no idea what the problem might be, any ideas?
War isnt about who is right, but who is left

Ride_on

Re: trouble, help

Post by Ride_on » 11 Jun 2011 01:30 am

Weird, could be an earth fault. Check the negative battery strap is bolted to the body beside the battery properly and try moving the big bunch of cable that goes to the fuse box under dash to the right of the steering column. The big multi way connector bullet connector can get bad contacts there, sometimes replacing the fuse box can help.
1980 345 DL_______1987 360 GLE (project car restored to GLT spec and B230FT'd)
1984 360 GLT______1987 360 GLT
1983 360 GLS______1989 360 GLE
1985 340 GL_______1986 340 1.4
1985 360 GLS______1995 940 SE 2.3 Turbo Estate (daily)
1987 340 GL 1.7

Edokun91

Post by Edokun91 » 11 Jun 2011 02:00 pm

yeah it's sounding like you got some bad connections somewhere in the circuit, dodgy earth like the man says. I'd get yourself a multimeter and check continuity through all your wires, hunt that fucker down. goodluck :360:
EDIT: the circuits closing before it travels through your switch so i'd look from the switch back. I'm no electrical expert so correct me if I'm wrong people.

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 12 Jun 2011 07:24 pm

im guessing it is a earth fault myself, and i have talked to some friends of mine about it, the say it might be an earth fault from the driving lights? so i have to check the circuit for faults. im glad i have a multimeter lying around somewhere here, and a partial understanding of electronics :lol:
and i have checked the battery strap, everything looks ok, and i have taken the kable off, removed corrotion and bolted it back on
ive tried to remove the cables going to the fuse box, but they wont get off, maybe some corrotion there? so maybe get those of and sand the conectors of a bit will help
so ill do like jeremy clarkson, and yell for a hammer

Thanks for the comments by the way, i will try to make this problem out :lol:

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 18 Oct 2011 10:17 pm

found the fault, it was in the fuse box, some of the plastic between two of the fuses was gone, put some electrical tape between them and the problem was gone :D