Bloody Rust!

Rust problems and repairs, leaky sunroof... Battery, starter, lights, fuses, airco, heating unit, stereo... | Tuning: custom spoilers & bodykits, fiberglass parts...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
Jaspersilus

Bloody Rust!

Post by Jaspersilus » 11 Jun 2011 04:24 pm

Hi Chaps,
have been down at the barn cleaning my 360 glt and fitting my new Foggy sourced boot struts ( they re excellent ),
then I took out the spare tyre ( which is original ) and noticed a line of rust along the rear of the wheel well covered partly covered by some rubbery paint coloured sealant, I then pressed down on the wheel well and the line opened up to show fresh air! On the back wall of the wheel well about inline with the boot lock as you reach underneath I found more rust and the apparent source of water leaking in!
Is this normal and more importantly how much will this cost to have welded or am I better off buying the gear and doing it my self?

Pics below!
Cheers Jason

http://photobucket.com/jaspersilusurl

Jaspersilus

Re: Bloody Rust!

Post by Jaspersilus » 12 Jun 2011 01:12 pm

Hi Chaps,
another question, the bottom parts of the front wings where the plastic spoiler attaches are rotten on my car, Ive had a look on hadrian body panels and theres a part called a scuttle, this looks like the same part, is it the same part or something totally different?
cheers Jason

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 12 Jun 2011 01:40 pm

Jaspersilus wrote:Hi Chaps,
another question, the bottom parts of the front wings where the plastic spoiler attaches are rotten on my car, Ive had a look on hadrian body panels and theres a part called a scuttle, this looks like the same part, is it the same part or something totally different?
cheers Jason
Isnt the scuttle the panel between the engine bay and interior?
Ive heard of a "back" scuttle too, but I think thats unrelated.

macplaxton

Post by macplaxton » 12 Jun 2011 03:17 pm

No the scuttle panel is the panel below the windscreen, behind the bonnet. I think those repair sections are for the corners on either side below the windscreen.
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

Jaspersilus

Post by Jaspersilus » 12 Jun 2011 03:34 pm

Cheers VND and Mac
they are no good then, can anyone give me an idea about the boot well rust, there are pics in the link!

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 12 Jun 2011 08:48 pm

Jaspersilus wrote:Cheers VND and Mac
they are no good then, can anyone give me an idea about the boot well rust, there are pics in the link!

Nice and straight, one angle. Chop it and fill with fresh metal. (get a man to do it). Doesnt nook too complicated to me. (he says, having never welded anything). Easier than a rear JP or inner wing though.

Jaspersilus

Post by Jaspersilus » 12 Jun 2011 08:59 pm

Cheers VND,
the main gash, ( ha I said gash ), doesnt as you say look too problematic, but as you look at photo 2 you can see the rusty looking run marks that show where the waters got in, also under there is more rust!
Is this part called the rear valance?
Also the rust there isnt too bad so if I could stop the water getting there I could halt the rusty bloody progress!
cheers Jason

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 12 Jun 2011 09:08 pm

Jaspersilus wrote:Cheers VND,
the main gash, ( ha I said gash ), doesnt as you say look too problematic, but as you look at photo 2 you can see the rusty looking run marks that show where the waters got in, also under there is more rust!
Is this part called the rear valance?
Also the rust there isnt too bad so if I could stop the water getting there I could halt the rusty bloody progress!
cheers Jason
Give it all a rub fron the inside with sandpaper man. It might just be surface rust around the gaping gash (I said gaping gash).
Give it a rub down and see whats got aids and whats savable.
Fingers crossed it wont be too bad. Check the boot seal too! No point fixing it if its gonna fill up again.

Jaspersilus

Post by Jaspersilus » 12 Jun 2011 10:05 pm

So Im guessing the waters getting down the side of the boot lock and collecting at the welded seam at the the bottom which has caused it to rust through!
Shouldnt there be water channels in there to allow the water to escape?

If I may quote Socrates " I am the wisest man alive, for I know one thing, and that is that I know nothing."

Cheers Jason

filthyjohn
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by filthyjohn » 20 Jun 2011 11:09 am

Mine was like that too:

I repaired it but had trouble getting the valance to look good from the back so I ended up removing the whole wheel well.
'87 Nissan Sunny
'95 945 LPT
'90 340 3dr
'87 360 GLT
'87 765 TIC
'75 Manta A
'70 Rover P5 V8
'67 MGB GT
'62 amazon 2dr

Jaspersilus

Post by Jaspersilus » 20 Jun 2011 10:07 pm