Mileage counter - Reset?

Rust problems and repairs, leaky sunroof... Battery, starter, lights, fuses, airco, heating unit, stereo... | Tuning: custom spoilers & bodykits, fiberglass parts...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
Attack2001

Mileage counter - Reset?

Post by Attack2001 » 12 Jan 2012 07:52 pm

Hi all, right i know this may sound a bit dodgy :roll: lol, but i put in a new set of gauges, but the mileage is now 101k and my original is only 60k, so, am i able to simple do the old drill trick, stick it in reverse and wind the mileage back, or do i have to wind it all the way off the end of the clock and back round to 60? Or is there a way i can take the gauges apart and move the dials round to the correct mileage? Thanks :) Thomas.........

Speedy88

Re: Mileage counter - Reset?

Post by Speedy88 » 12 Jan 2012 08:00 pm

Yeah I think if you take the speedo out the numbers all come separate and you can put in whatever you like :wink:
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 12 Jan 2012 08:29 pm

Speedy88 wrote:Yeah I think if you take the speedo out the numbers all come separate and you can put in whatever you like :wink:
Ooh ok, i'll take apart the old ones and see what i can do, sweet cheers :D Thomas..........

mat_91

Post by mat_91 » 12 Jan 2012 09:10 pm

i have done this you have to take it apart very simple which is pretty shocking only problem is its a bit risky as you have to force it apart if i remember rightly and 300s have never had good mileometers anyway i cant remember but cant you just change the hole mileometer
mine is broken internaily as we speak so i need to take it apart just not had time i may do it tomorrow

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 12 Jan 2012 10:07 pm

Well, i just attempted my old set that came out of the car. Got the speedo out, after having to take the needle off which is one problem i've already noticed as its just a round spindle, theres no flat edge to locate the needle. as far as i can see theres no way of taking apart the mileometer without breaking it, i had a go at spinning this little wheel thats on the end with the drill but it just kept hitting the dials etc and marking them :cry: so i wont be able to do that :? But, however these are an older set of gauges. i believe there smiths dials as opposed to VDO? or something like that, out of the two it was a set of earlier ones, are the later ones any different??

mat_91

Post by mat_91 » 12 Jan 2012 10:25 pm

arrrrrrr im so sorry i havent done it for about a year now not owned a 340 for best part of that you have just reminded me that if you look at the back of the mileometer you can see the wound up coil shove alot of blue tack in there so the spring cant unwind and then use a fork to pull the needle off the pin it shouldnt go anywere

im so sorry i forgot that