Fuel pipes and Volvo 340 Heater distribution control

Rust problems and repairs, leaky sunroof... Battery, starter, lights, fuses, airco, heating unit, stereo... | Tuning: custom spoilers & bodykits, fiberglass parts...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
baron_matt

Fuel pipes and Volvo 340 Heater distribution control

Post by baron_matt » 03 Dec 2012 11:21 am

Hi

Whilst removing the original AM LW Volvo radio from my 340 I finally managed to locate the issue with the heater control cable the cable controlling where you send the hot air. It appears that this cable has snapped close to the lever.

Even following the instructions in the Haynes I could not see how the heater control panel comes off to get to the top of the cable. It being a cold day and plastic being brittle I didn't want to force the issue either. I'm going to need a new cable and possibly a new control panel (just in case this one breaks)

Whilst I had the tools out I wanted to locate the cause of the fuel leak which leaves a puddle under the car whenever I fill the tank and the stink of fuel when the car is parked. I popped the round hatch in the boot and the sender unit was clearly visible. The smaller of the two fuel lines to the tank had completely disintegrated and had become detached from the sender.
Is this a vent pipe or a fuel return? The larger of the two pipes didn't seem that great either.

So my next question is how much fuel hose and I going to need and do I need to drop the tank to fit it? I see its that cotton covered rubbish, and I can see it in the engine compartment too. Does it use that front to back or is there a metal pipe along the length of the car?

Cheers

macplaxton

Re: Fuel pipes and Volvo 340 Heater distribution control

Post by macplaxton » 03 Dec 2012 12:47 pm

Fuel pipes common issue.

Search around the forum, the answer is there somewhere. Also under the side trim panel on MY82> will be a plastic expansion tank and more pipe spaghetti. There's two diameters of pipe so you'll need a certain length of each and a load of clips. You should not need to drop the tank. The front/rear fuel line I think is hard nylon pipe.
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

mac

Post by mac » 03 Dec 2012 07:13 pm

Matt, MP is quite right the fuel hoses are marginal at best, but at least the front to rear section is hard nylon. It runs through the n/s chassis rail with about 4" of rubber at each end.
If you look at the routing of the pipe you will see that by un-clipping it from the side of the g/box bay you can release enough length to draw the hard pipe up to the sender unit hatch and change the rubber section.
In the engine bay the hard nylon pipe is accessible where it exits the chassis rail. The smaller section pipe is a fuel return.

As for you heater panel, remove the radio and you will see a metal corrugated panel covering the base of the heater control panel secured by two screws through tabs on either side of the radio aperture. Remove this panel which will allow access to the fixing screws holding in the h. control unit. These fixings again are in the side of the radio aperture. Remove these screws and the heater control can be dropped down exposing the control cables. The air distribution cable is on the left with the outer clipped to the casing of the unit - it's possible that the clip has become detached rendering the control ineffective. It is unlikely that the cable (solid core Bowden) has actually broken.

Mac.
88 5door Redline 1.7 52k - 19 XC60 Momentum Pro D4 AWD 17k
1950 pair of legs that don't work very well.

baron_matt

Post by baron_matt » 04 Dec 2012 04:43 pm

mac wrote:Matt, MP is quite right the fuel hoses are marginal at best, but at least the front to rear section is hard nylon. It runs through the n/s chassis rail with about 4" of rubber at each end.
If you look at the routing of the pipe you will see that by un-clipping it from the side of the g/box bay you can release enough length to draw the hard pipe up to the sender unit hatch and change the rubber section.
In the engine bay the hard nylon pipe is accessible where it exits the chassis rail. The smaller section pipe is a fuel return.

As for you heater panel, remove the radio and you will see a metal corrugated panel covering the base of the heater control panel secured by two screws through tabs on either side of the radio aperture. Remove this panel which will allow access to the fixing screws holding in the h. control unit. These fixings again are in the side of the radio aperture. Remove these screws and the heater control can be dropped down exposing the control cables. The air distribution cable is on the left with the outer clipped to the casing of the unit - it's possible that the clip has become detached rendering the control ineffective. It is unlikely that the cable (solid core Bowden) has actually broken.

Mac.
Hi Mac

I had the corrugated panel out and undid the screws but the heater panel didn't want to move in any direction, I didn't want to force it as if I break it I haven't got a spare.
From what I could see the solid bowden cable has indeed snapped as the broken section was hanging down and clearly visible, plus if you move the bottom heater flap manually nothing could be seen to move at the control or resistance felt. Obviously one of the previous lady owners was ham fisted.

If anyone has a spare control panel and cables please let me know.

Re the fuel pipe I've managed to get hold of a metre of the narrow pipe so I'll be changing that plus getting some larger dia. pipe to get the rest of it replaced as well. If that is a fuel return pipe that was busted does that mean I've been dumping fuel on the road all the time?

mac

Post by mac » 04 Dec 2012 05:05 pm

Oooooooo yes!

baron_matt

Post by baron_matt » 04 Dec 2012 08:16 pm

mac wrote:Oooooooo yes!
lol what? Yes you have a panel, agree one of the previous lady owners didn't know her own strength, or that I've been dumping liquid gold like a Jumbo about to make an emergency landing? :lol:

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 04 Dec 2012 08:48 pm

Certainly the latter....
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

mac

Post by mac » 04 Dec 2012 09:07 pm

There is a heater control panel on the bay at this very moment.

Mac.

baron_matt

Post by baron_matt » 05 Dec 2012 01:25 am

mac wrote:There is a heater control panel on the bay at this very moment.

Mac.
I've spotted it but it looks different to mine. I guess the principle is the same, I can't see any cables in the picture of it so I've asked the question.

Cheers

morgan105

Post by morgan105 » 06 Dec 2012 11:34 am

You can replace the inner cable quite simply and a lot cheaper and easier to find, go to a model shop and get 1mm solid wire that they use for model building. You have to make the loop shape to fit the top lever and bend it at the flap end. Easy enough to do with some pointed pliers and cutters and very cheap to buy. I did this on the wifes car as got sick of cold feet in the winter and works perfectly, just remember to lubricate the casing first before you insert the new cable and make the loop first to check it fits. You don't even have to remove the outer caseing from behind the dash if you don't want to so no re-routing behind the dash is necessary.
When installing make sure you know which way the cable operates the lever at the heater box so you know where to bend it and get it the right length so all positions work correctly.

To help aid removal of the panel remove the 2nd cable that operates the switch in the engine bay as this tends to hold the panel tight if it is not removed.

baron_matt

Post by baron_matt » 06 Dec 2012 11:56 pm

morgan105 wrote:You can replace the inner cable quite simply and a lot cheaper and easier to find, go to a model shop and get 1mm solid wire that they use for model building. You have to make the loop shape to fit the top lever and bend it at the flap end. Easy enough to do with some pointed pliers and cutters and very cheap to buy. I did this on the wifes car as got sick of cold feet in the winter and works perfectly, just remember to lubricate the casing first before you insert the new cable and make the loop first to check it fits. You don't even have to remove the outer caseing from behind the dash if you don't want to so no re-routing behind the dash is necessary.
When installing make sure you know which way the cable operates the lever at the heater box so you know where to bend it and get it the right length so all positions work correctly.

To help aid removal of the panel remove the 2nd cable that operates the switch in the engine bay as this tends to hold the panel tight if it is not removed.
That's a great tip, I'll try that. How is the cable secured? Is it just a loop at each end?

morgan105

Post by morgan105 » 07 Dec 2012 10:35 am

The cable from control to heater flap has a loop at the control end which presses on, and a 90 degree bend at the heater flap lever and gets held in with a small clip in the lever. You will see how it works when you look at it.
The cable in the engine bay on the valve is held in place with a metal strip clip on the outer caseing, remove this first with a small screwdriver to prise it up and then you have to grab the cable and guide the end of the cable through the hole it is located in on the valve lever as the end of the cable has a little bend in it. This will allow the second cable to slide through the firewall a bit, don't let it go through the firewall completely, and will allow the control panel to move away from the dash enough to replace the broken cable.