Main beam flickers and cuts out

Rust problems and repairs, leaky sunroof... Battery, starter, lights, fuses, airco, heating unit, stereo... | Tuning: custom spoilers & bodykits, fiberglass parts...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
360beast

Main beam flickers and cuts out

Post by 360beast » 04 Dec 2016 02:33 pm

A few times when driving with main beams on I have noticed it flickers and a couple times it has cut our for a few seconds altogether including sidelights. If I turn main beam off the headlights come back on and are fine.

Where should I start with this one?

benji1985

Re: Main beam flickers and cuts out

Post by benji1985 » 04 Dec 2016 06:05 pm

360beast wrote:A few times when driving with main beams on I have noticed it flickers and a couple times it has cut our for a few seconds altogether including sidelights. If I turn main beam off the headlights come back on and are fine.

Where should I start with this one?
I would check the earth for the main beam stalk, failing that the fuse box wires

Ben

360beast

Post by 360beast » 04 Dec 2016 06:56 pm

I have a feeling it might be the relay for the dip/main beam. As the day after buying the car the headlights died and I just wiggled the relay and they worked again. It probably has got warm and the connectors opened up and as it gets hot with main beam on they open up and loose the connection entirely. I have a spare fusebox and relay so I'might fine if that is the problem.

benji1985

Post by benji1985 » 04 Dec 2016 07:09 pm

360beast wrote:I have a feeling it might be the relay for the dip/main beam. As the day after buying the car the headlights died and I just wiggled the relay and they worked again. It probably has got warm and the connectors opened up and as it gets hot with main beam on they open up and loose the connection entirely. I have a spare fusebox and relay so I'might fine if that is the problem.
Check the pins and the wires, could be a lose connector

Ben