Relay testing

Rust problems and repairs, leaky sunroof... Battery, starter, lights, fuses, airco, heating unit, stereo... | Tuning: custom spoilers & bodykits, fiberglass parts...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
RussianFartParty

Relay testing

Post by RussianFartParty » 24 Mar 2018 09:34 pm

Hi folks... MOT on Monday.
And highbeams are being a pain in the Arse.

So, the stalk switches on the high beams but position 2 on the headlight switch just has dipped.

I have tried what I can and cannot figure out what has let go.
Obviously I have new bulbs and checked fuses.

I get dipped beam on position 1 and 2 of the headlight switch but no highbeams.
Where should I be checking?

I have investigated the headlight relay on the fuse box, it actuates when I pull the stalk towards me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

benji1985

Re: Relay testing

Post by benji1985 » 25 Mar 2018 05:24 pm

High beam is activated via the stalk.
The high beam on the stalk triggers the relay in the fuse box (i believe the big silver one)
You need to test the power coming from that relay to the headlight. Use a voltmeter to assess which wire is dipped and which is full beam.

From there we can trace the issue etc

Ben

RussianFartParty

Post by RussianFartParty » 25 Mar 2018 08:21 pm

Cheers Ben!

I can hear the fuse box relay click on when the stalk is pulled, but it doesn't stay on.
what role does the dim dip relay play in this? Does that toggle per monent high beam and flash high beam?

Cheers

benji1985

Post by benji1985 » 27 Mar 2018 09:52 pm

RussianFartParty wrote:Cheers Ben!

I can hear the fuse box relay click on when the stalk is pulled, but it doesn't stay on.
what role does the dim dip relay play in this? Does that toggle per monent high beam and flash high beam?

Cheers
Got to ask the silly question, are you lights switched on the position 2 on the twist knob?
I believe that the relay receives a switch power from position 2 on the lights, This tells the relay that the main beam can remain on when the stalk is pulled.
The relay is a simple switch, pull stalk to switch relay on and pull again to switch off.

If you look on this site you find a wire diagram which may be of some use to you.

Ben