360 GLE B200E AC rewiring after destruction (super fun quiz inside)

Rust problems and repairs, leaky sunroof... Battery, starter, lights, fuses, airco, heating unit, stereo... | Tuning: custom spoilers & bodykits, fiberglass parts...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
José_Manuel

360 GLE B200E AC rewiring after destruction (super fun quiz inside)

Post by José_Manuel » 17 Jul 2019 08:33 am

Hello guys,

I've been long time restoring my '89 360 and now it's time for the air conditioner, which is in terrible shape.

After an AC failure, some guys from a workshop in my hometown did an extermedy awful job. They destroyed all the previous wiring and bypassed all the protection sensors. 'Mechanically', the AC was supposed to be converted to R134. Compressor is a new R134 one but the dryer was not replaced and is still the original one. Obviously, AC went down many times with the previous owner, and Spain is not a great place to run around without AC in your car. Anyway, mechanical stuff is the second step for this repair.

I dismantled all the horrendous new wiring and now I'm tryin to recover the original one. I suppose there's also a fault somewhere that they were not able to troubleshoot. Moreover, the wiring does not colour-match the AC schematics I've found, so.... This is real fun!! (fun means NIGHTMARE).

I have taken appart the whole wiring column which was still tied up somewhere inside the engine hood (those guys did a real professional job) and I have to re-connect all the elements.

Here's some photos of the wire column, the schematic for the column and connector photos.

Any help will be highly appreciated, as I am completely lost for now. I have some logical ideas of where could some connectors belong to, but up to now I have not been able to figure a completely logical diagram.

Wiring Column:

Column Schematic:

The elements, according to the official wiring diagram, are:
  • Fuse-Junction box
    Compressor relay (I have two, the official diagram only specifies one)
    AC Switch button
    Evaporator thermal switch
    High Pressure switch
    Coolant hose thermal switch
    Radiator Thermal switch
    Compressor clutch
    Electric fan
    System pressure high/low switch
    Throttle valve
    Kick down throttle swtich (I'm pretty sure my car has never had it)
    Idle compensation valve (Not specified in the diagram; the engine B200E has it)
Thanks a lot!!! 340pw :360:
1989 Volvo 360 GLE Injection

My restoration:
http://www.volvo300mania.com/forum-uk/v ... =2&t=14718

José_Manuel

Re: 360 GLE B200E AC rewiring after destruction (super fun quiz inside)

Post by José_Manuel » 24 Jul 2019 12:54 pm

If anyone's interested, I found the solution and re-wired everything with the elements present in the electronics of my 360.

Here's it!

Evaporator swtich is wired in series with the dryer pressure switch, via a pair cables appart from the main wiring column.

J10 is a long pair of cables that were supposed to go to the radiator temp switch, but it's not present in my 360. I will probably add a relay for the Temperature 'T' Hose Switch ( J1 ) to activate the electric fan via the J10.

No idea where could J9 and J5 go, though, but there are no more unconnected elements and nothing else wolud make sense in my 360 according to the official Volvo wiring diagrams
1989 Volvo 360 GLE Injection

My restoration:
http://www.volvo300mania.com/forum-uk/v ... =2&t=14718