Battery connections queries

Rust problems and repairs, leaky sunroof... Battery, starter, lights, fuses, airco, heating unit, stereo... | Tuning: custom spoilers & bodykits, fiberglass parts...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
TasMan

Battery connections queries

Post by TasMan » 02 Feb 2020 10:42 pm

Hi All,
Continuing service and tidying jobs to my recently acquired GLT, I noticed the battery to starter terminal was needing remade as a few of the strands had snapped and my OCD was getting the better of me!! :D I have a new length of cable ready to fit but noticed there is a black double connector crimped onto the original cable as per pics. There are also three smaller cables connected direct to the terminal (red/black&white/black) which head through the bulkhead along with a larger red cable which heads straight into the loom which I assume is possibly the main fuse box feed ?
Image Image
Image Image

The black crimped double connector doesn't seem the best way of taking off a supply and I wondered if this was a standard setup, and also to what this was feeding - the cables coming off the connector appear to connect to wiring associated with the cabling at the aux. fuse box and I wondered if this was the supplies for the fuel pump and fog lights ?
The other three smaller cables direct at the battery I am unsure - the car had an aftermarket alarm fitted which the previous owner removed, and it also have an 80s aftermarket radio. I wondered if these were to do with these fittings.
I have studied the wiring diagrams and am struggling a bit. I have the Electrical manual downloaded from here and I am not sure if there is a discrepancy with the aux. fuse box detail or probably I have it wrong...
On page 5 it states the aux fuse box has fuses for Fuel pump (8A), Fog Lights (8A) and Oxygen Sensor (16A). But the original box has only two fuse positions ? Elsewhere I thought the aux fuse box was just fog lights and fuel pump.
On Page 10 it quotes the Fuel pump as an 8A fuse, but now says the Oxygen Sensor is also 8A ?

None of the cables look like bodges or poor wiring alterations as they all head off either to the loom or separate sleeved routes. I thought some sort of junction box with one feed from the battery may be better to tidy things up rather than everything heading to the battery terminal, or crimped off the main cable ? Anyway, before I decide how best to remake the connections at the battery I was hoping for some feedback which might help with tracing cables etc.
Many thanks Dave
1987 360 GLT

bogbasic

Re: Battery connections queries

Post by bogbasic » 03 Feb 2020 03:20 am

You haven't got electronic power steering by any chance? I had to connect a big red cable just like yours when I fitted the Easysteer EPS. I guess it's all standard stuff as I don't know GLT's very well at all, sorry. There's a high-pressure electric fuel pump somewhere. The big black connector which you have opened is original but those little blue crimp connectors aren't! Apart from the corroded battery connector, everything else looks pretty good. You've got some fancy strut-top bushes.
1988 340 1.4 GL, 218k, 5 door (Grey Bess). Gone to CBA.
1991 340 1.7 GL, 64k, 5 door, petrol blue (Deep Blue).
1988 360 2.0 GLE, 140k, 5 door, ocean blue metallic (Blue Bess).
1989 340 1.7 GL, 108k, 3 door (Red Ness).
More info here!

SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by SteveP » 03 Feb 2020 01:48 pm

I can check when I'm nearer my GLT but that might not be for a couple of days, but some of those connections look to be non-factory additions, perhaps as you say for an alarm/audio equipment.

Don't worry about the aux fuse box, UK market B200E GLT's do not have an oxygen sensor, but in other markets they got the B200F engine, which did. You'll just have front fog lights and electronic fuel pump wired through the aux fuse box behind the battery.
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

TasMan

Post by TasMan » 03 Feb 2020 05:22 pm

Hi Jon, No power steering but a good point for sure. Yeah, there is definitely a fuel pump involved and likely the fog lights are tapped off this black crimped connector, nice to know its original. If I replace the cable it would be good to replace with something similar but I think I will have to make up a junction box with ring terminals instead. The end of the cable at the battery terminal might possibly tidy up but otherwise I will have to replace the cable... Yeah, those blue crimp connectors have been done by a previous owner to bypass the dodgy aux. fuse box, they have wired in 10A inline blade fuses. I am replacing this with a proper 2 way blade fuse box, will post a pic later.
The strut tops were fitted by the last owner, Classic Swede I believe, they seem pretty neat. I have the originals also which came in the boot! I need to find out the greasing intervals for these from Dai, they seem like a good improvement.

Steve, any help appreciated, and thanks for confirming about the oxygen sensor, that now makes sense. As I say the old aux. fuse box has been bypassed and I think the black terminal must be the feed for the fuel pump and fog lights, would be good to see your setup when you have a chance.

I will update on the other three cables heading to the bulkhead, would like to get them removed if they are a left over from an old alarm system.
Cheers
Dave
1987 360 GLT

TasMan

Post by TasMan » 16 Feb 2020 04:28 pm

Managed a bit more cable tracing today and the three unknown positive terminal wires have been staring me in the face the whole time....didn't I forget that my car has a Volvo towbar with twin socket!!

So the three cables seem to run to the back of the car and look like they feed the white caravan socket. There are a couple of scotchlock joints which I need to check out but that seems the solution. Also, the 'standard' socket is wired into the RHS lights, typical 80s style wiring to joint in towing sockets.

So my plan now is to get the battery re-connected and omit these three cables and see if everything still works with the lights etc. I won't be towing with the car so no need to have these connected.

I assume there is a good reason caravan sockets have three positive supplies direct to the battery...? Anyone a caravanner ?! :)
Cheers Dave
1987 360 GLT