1990 360 GL B200

Rust problems and repairs, leaky sunroof... Battery, starter, lights, fuses, airco, heating unit, stereo... | Tuning: custom spoilers & bodykits, fiberglass parts...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
blackVolvo

1990 360 GL B200

Post by blackVolvo » 08 May 2023 08:08 pm

Proud new owner of 360 here. B200 E/F ( what does that mean? I know B200 E and B200F)

Got it from first owners son, 178 000 km. And already problems:

The odometer and trip just stopped working on test drive. Confirmed working on test drive, but suddenly they just stopped rotating? How hard is it to take the dash out and what could could be the cause?

Radio seems to work intermittently. It has power, and finds station to listen, but nothing comes from the speakers. When i took the radio out, it blasted full volume. when put it in, nothing. It seems to have corrosion or intermittent failure somewhere. Any help?

Lights should be "automatic" as to when ignition is on, lights go on, per the owners manual. But they do not work like that. I have to put lights at 2, to make headlights work, and when ignition is off, lights stay on, if I don't put them to 0 again. Is there a way, maybe swapping a relay that could make them "automatic" and the switch can be at 0 all the time?

Also, could I get the radio to get power from dash lights ? Don't like it that i have to turn off radio when ignition is off, it should be automatic too.

Second gear seems to be too hard to put on, and there seems to be a play in the gear shifter. Can that be adjusted or maybe some bushings swap to stiffen the gear lever and also fix the hard second gear?

is the B200E/F interference engine? Timing belt has been changed in 2010 and after that it has 35 000 km. How bad of a job it is to change it? I know that 200/700 series is a breeze but this has significantly less room.

Anyone have working and intact door outer handle? Drivers side outer door handle has broken. Also the radio outer plastic frame is in pieces, if someone has intact one, please contact me.

Also the central locking seems to work, but not with boot. That has to be locked with a key. Is that afeature? And passenger side front door when locked, can be opened from outside. The locking tab just pops up when opening the passenger side door from outside, even when it is locked, what could be the cause of that?

whev, so many questions, hopefully some answers please :)

bogbasic

Re: 1990 360 GL B200

Post by bogbasic » 11 May 2023 12:47 am

The odometer and trip just stopped working on test drive. Confirmed working on test drive, but suddenly they just stopped rotating? How hard is it to take the dash out and what could could be the cause?
I have had this trouble and it's very hard to fix the internals of the speedometer so replacement is probably the best plan if you can find one with about the right mileage or wind it to the right mileage. Replacing the whole console is easier. The radio problem - lordy, it must just be a connector or something?
Lights should be "automatic" as to when ignition is on, lights go on, per the owners manual. But they do not work like that. I have to put lights at 2, to make headlights work, and when ignition is off, lights stay on, if I don't put them to 0 again. Is there a way, maybe swapping a relay that could make them "automatic" and the switch can be at 0 all the time?
This sounds like the normal behaviour. I was not aware that the lights were ever automatic on the 300 series. When you leave the headlights on and turn off the ignition, they should go off but the 'sidelights' should stay on.
Also, could I get the radio to get power from dash lights ? Don't like it that i have to turn off radio when ignition is off, it should be automatic too.
That sounds like normal behaviour.

I think the 360 engine is OK if the cambelt goes. It sounds like yours is quite new still. Changing it is not too bad - it is one of the first things I did in my blog (jbc.me.uk).

The facebook V3M page is quite useful for parts like locks, etc, and there are suppliers you can find on the web like classicswede.org but you need to keep nagging them sometimes as there isn't much business with Volvo 300's these days, I think ;-0
Also the central locking seems to work, but not with boot. That has to be locked with a key. Is that afeature?

That's normal.

It sounds like your passenger side door lock mechanism needs repairing. It's just a lot of fiddling about I am afraid and there may be some clues in my blog as I had similar problems.
1988 340 1.4 GL, 218k, 5 door (Grey Bess). Gone to CBA.
1991 340 1.7 GL, 64k, 5 door, petrol blue (Deep Blue).
1988 360 2.0 GLE, 140k, 5 door, ocean blue metallic (Blue Bess).
1989 340 1.7 GL, 108k, 3 door (Red Ness).
More info here!

blackVolvo

Re: 1990 360 GL B200

Post by blackVolvo » 19 May 2023 10:48 am

So changed timing belt, oil, spark plugs and diff and gearbox oil.

And discovered new problem. Radiator leaks on two places on top half.

Where could I get working radiator? used one could be ok, just that it does not leak.

Cas is manual and has no AC.