Windscreen wiper woes

Rust problems and repairs, leaky sunroof... Battery, starter, lights, fuses, airco, heating unit, stereo... | Tuning: custom spoilers & bodykits, fiberglass parts...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
Vart

Windscreen wiper woes

Post by Vart » 09 Sep 2008 07:39 pm

more problems this time with the wipers.

there has been for a while a definate click when they start and finish their sweep on intermittant. this has now become and intermitted angrier click at start middle and end of all modes of screen clearing. it sounds like its from the fuse box. would i be right in thinking its one of the silver cubes that lives in there? is that the relay? would it be dying?
1986 1.4DL - 147,000 - C746 VRT

filthyjohn
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by filthyjohn » 10 Sep 2008 07:59 am

Clicking noise is the relay yeah. Can't tell you which one is the wiper one but someone with a clue will know. I think the wiper relay might be one of the ones lying around loose behind the speedo, rather than the ones in the fuse box.
'87 Nissan Sunny
'95 945 LPT
'90 340 3dr
'87 360 GLT
'87 765 TIC
'75 Manta A
'70 Rover P5 V8
'67 MGB GT
'62 amazon 2dr

Vart

Post by Vart » 21 Dec 2008 01:35 pm

thanks filthy john, i'm slightly concerned also because theres a new noise that sounds like a small spring being sprung (think flicking a weak spring against some tin-foil) that sometimes occurs over bumps and similar.

from playing with one of the silver boxes in the fuse box this sounds similar to rattling one of them. could a failing relay make such noises.

also - does anyone know what i should be looking for in replacing one of these? ive traced the haynes diagram but come up with its location relative to not a lot.

cheers

toby

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 21 Dec 2008 05:44 pm

if i'm correct the windscreen wiper relais is mounted to the steering collum, the large silver relais in the fusebox is from the headlights, it could be that the windscreen wiper relais is located at the other side of the fusebox, can't remember this to be sure though..

when a relais "flickers" (switched on and off a lot) there can be 2 causes, 1 is that the voltage for the relais is too low so the relais can't switch properly) 2 that the relais itself is faulty.

figure out wich relais clicks by putting your finger on it, then replace the relais, if that won't help check de wiring and it's condition.

good luck

pettaw
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by pettaw » 21 Dec 2008 11:59 pm

Is it making mechanical noises, like grinding? That couild be something catching in the wiper linkages. They're a real PITA to get to because they're right underneath the dash, but I suppose you might be able to get in and lubricate them. Mine sometimes make clunking noises but they always seem to go away again luckily.

The relay is indeed on the steering column, its one of the bigger black ones, but it only controls the intermittent wipe and also how many sweeps it does when you've squirted the screenwash. I don't think it actually controls the motor....I don't 'think it does anyway, when you're on full time. IIRC even with the relay removed the wipers will still work although they won't park properly.

Vart

Post by Vart » 23 Dec 2008 06:54 pm

it clicks when they reach the full sweep but only if they're on for a while. mine doesn't have integrated wash/wipe on the main wipers just on the headlamps. my old 1.7GL did however. i figured it was a bonus for not having a dl spec car.

i'll find a replacement and switch it.

cheers

toby

pettaw
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by pettaw » 23 Dec 2008 09:22 pm

I doubt its the relay at all then because I don't think you'd hear it at all whilst the wipers are running. Are you sure its not the linkages making grinding noises?

Vart

Post by Vart » 25 Dec 2008 12:55 pm

even at motorway speeds with the associated wind noise the click is audible - the odd noise is more like a weak spring being sprung. i'll take the dash apart and have a look at replacing the relay anyway. i'm only concerned as i don't want the wipers to fail in torrential rain at 70mph.

alf

Re: Windscreen wiper woes

Post by alf » 03 Dec 2016 07:25 pm

Hello! I will post here, because i don`t want to start a new topic: last year I took the windscreen motor wiper out from the engine bay without making a photo to the wires sm2 ( since then i`ve had just one speed of the wiper, without the intermittent function by connecting the white wires together). From the main loom there are 5 wires, from the motor there are 4...By connecting the wires blue- blue, white-white, i ended up by blowing the fuse. I don`t remember if i had dismantled the engine, i saw what pettaw sad onto another topic a few years back:
pettaw wrote:I'm 90% sure its the motor. One of the contacts has a permanent live and there is a cam in there that operates the motor until the cam closes the contacts. That ensures the wipers always park in the correct position. If you're getting operation by itself that's where I'd look.
Thanks.
Attachments
w1 (2).jpg
w1 (1).jpg
the early bird gets the worm
`87 B200E on LPG grey GLT aka Time Machine