DIY fix for bad bellhouse mount?

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
fatuglypaapa1

DIY fix for bad bellhouse mount?

Post by fatuglypaapa1 » 18 May 2022 12:38 am

Noticed that the bellhouse mounts are bad on my b14, one has started to suffer from the other giving out entirely. I am not driving the car at the moment and I have ordered new mounts from Dai, but it seems like it can take some time to arrive since they need to go through customs.

Problem is I need the car in about 2 weeks, and I am beginning to doubt that the parts will arrive by then. Would I be able to make some DIY bellhouse mount? Maybe take some hockey pucks and drill some holes through them, or just retighten the bolts as the rubber has just split in two but it is still connected. I suspect the old owner didn't torque these to spec and the bolts have started to come undone and as a result it pulled the rubber apart.

Anyone who has any ideas? Do not want to risk destroying the prop so if there is no good DIY approach I'll just wait and hold my thumbs.

Cheers :340:

bogbasic

Re: DIY fix for bad bellhouse mount?

Post by bogbasic » 18 May 2022 02:30 pm

I would use Gorilla tape. Someone here made a gearbox mount with sellotape and it was fine till it rained. Gorilla tape should be mega-strong and waterproof.
1988 340 1.4 GL, 218k, 5 door (Grey Bess). Gone to CBA.
1991 340 1.7 GL, 64k, 5 door, petrol blue (Deep Blue).
1988 360 2.0 GLE, 140k, 5 door, ocean blue metallic (Blue Bess).
1989 340 1.7 GL, 108k, 3 door (Red Ness).
More info here!

fatuglypaapa1

Post by fatuglypaapa1 » 18 May 2022 03:10 pm

bogbasic wrote:
18 May 2022 02:30 pm
I would use Gorilla tape. Someone here made a gearbox mount with sellotape and it was fine till it rained. Gorilla tape should be mega-strong and waterproof.
Didn't think of using tape :)

I'll work on it this weekend so i'll see if the parts have arrived by then, otherwise I'll see if I can get my hands on some gorilla tape. Just as long as it lasts until the parts arrive i'll be good :)

fatuglypaapa1

Post by fatuglypaapa1 » 20 May 2022 01:46 pm

Got the bellhouse mounts so won't need a DIY fix at the moment. They look great.

fatuglypaapa1

Post by fatuglypaapa1 » 23 May 2022 02:58 am

Did not have time to install all new mounts, managed to get access to a workshop but only for a few hours so I only changed the broken one and changed oil + filter.

Question is, how do you guys do the alignment? After having raised the engine in order to fit the bracket back with the new rubber I handtightened the engine mount nuts, and proper fastened the bracket. Thereafter, I lowered the engine so the loose hand bolted nuts would "fall down" in those two strips on the bracket. After the engine was lowered and everything looked in order I torqued everything. Will this do?

I also assume that it is OK to drive this even though I only changed one mount, as this mount was split in two. The remaning mounts seem to be in good condition, but will change them in the coming month.

Cheers 340pw

Also if veterans of this forum thinks I'm being a bit of a nuisance with my constant barraging of posts and comments, I am sorry.