360 LSD.

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
Van Hoof

Re: 360 LSD.

Post by Van Hoof » 06 Jan 2012 10:45 pm

True, but combined with Driftworks there might well be enough interest for one to be honest. There's a couple of powerful 360 builds for the 2012 season including a 350+bhp sr20 powered saloon, Nev @ Drift-Moto is always interested in making his 16v do more interesting things and I'm considering chopping in my M3 for a turbo powered saloon this season too. That'd be 3 or 4 right away potentially.

miniswift

Post by miniswift » 06 Jan 2012 11:16 pm

Hi,

I have a contact who can make one for £650-ish. It will be Helical/Torsen LSD and I'm sending my spare diff as a sample.
Let me know if any of you out there would like to buy one.

Cheers
Atchi

clitti

Post by clitti » 08 Jan 2012 06:45 pm

I don't suppose anybody has looked into transplanting a Ford english diff unit into the 340/360 casing and having a crownwheel made to suit the pinion.I'm not trying to sound like a know it all but would'nt it be cheaper to manufacture a crownwheel rather then a whole unit.They are the same size CW after all.Only big trouble i can forsee is that they don't take too kindly to a bit of oommff going through them,up to 160BHPish.(IIRC)I've considered looking at the possibility of doing it but have been rather busy of late. :( Waddayallreckon!!!!

EDIT:Just Googled it and it looks like they'll take 250-300Bhp max.And its mainly the shafts that snap.Oh yeah.Shafts!!!!Probably have to make them too. :oops: :lol:
Gad i ganu.....?

miniswift

Post by miniswift » 08 Jan 2012 10:29 pm

Hi,

You will find that they are still very expensive.
Then you have to mod it to fit to our gearbox. So idea is there but if we can get one made for not so bad cost then... I think it will be better this way.

Cheers
Atchi

clitti

Post by clitti » 08 Jan 2012 11:32 pm

I'm all for making more parts available for the 300 and good on you for taking the initiative and doing it. :D I'm old school,so TORque SENseing differentials are,in my belief a waste of money. If you lose total grip with one wheel,i.e:- the wheel comes off the floor,or an exessively slippery patch of oil/ice/diesel,snow,the diff multiplys the torque of the wheel with the least amount of grip.If the grip,or torque of the wheel is zero you lose all drive. :( Anything multiplied by zero is zero! I've never driven a car with a torsen diff but i have driven many a car with salisbury/plate/clutch type diffs,including Group A rally cars, and they've all been the most fun you can have with ya pants on TBH. :lol: Maybe i'm just an old fart and i'm stuck in my ways but i'm interested to see what you think of it, once you have it up and running.
Good luck mate and keep us all posted with the progress and i will do likewise. :wink:
Gad i ganu.....?

miniswift

Post by miniswift » 08 Jan 2012 11:45 pm

Hi,

I have clutch type LSD in my other project...'68 Mini with Suzuki Swift Gti engine.
I have driven Type-R civic, Integra type-R, Accord type-R and my mate's Justy with Suzuki Sports AWD LSD with welded VC racer. All of them is clutch type made by Cusco.
I have never driven Torsen/Helical LSD myself especially with RWD cars. So I take your advice gratefully.

I think I need to get a Guniea pig... I mean tester :lol: once I get one made!
I'm sending standard one to supplier tomorrow, so wish me luck.

Cheers
Atchi

clitti

Post by clitti » 08 Jan 2012 11:52 pm

I belive that we could be pioneers in 300 differential modifications. :lol:
Good luck.
Gad i ganu.....?

foggyjames
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by foggyjames » 09 Jan 2012 08:36 pm

I like the idea of clutch-type LSDs, but I also know a significant number of people with Quaife ATBs, and they love them to bits. Mainly FWD applications, mind you, and I think the desired effect is a little different...

I've also heard rumours of the english axle being weak, but rumours are rumours for a reason...! :)

cheers

James
VOC 300-series Register Keeper
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'85 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
...and some modern FWD nonsense to get me to work...

wolfpack

Post by wolfpack » 10 Jan 2012 12:56 pm

I would be very interested in one at that price but iam not used to a torsen diff how would it drive in a drift car ? Do that lock both wheals or simply direct the power to the wheal with the most grip ? If so what happen when both wheals let go ? Were will the power go ? And what kind of power can you pit throw the diff with out braking it ?

Van Hoof

Post by Van Hoof » 11 Feb 2012 11:03 am

wolfpack wrote:I would be very interested in one at that price but iam not used to a torsen diff how would it drive in a drift car ? Do that lock both wheals or simply direct the power to the wheal with the most grip ? If so what happen when both wheals let go ? Were will the power go ? And what kind of power can you pit throw the diff with out braking it ?
This is the reason why people weld the stock locking diffs in the mx5's etc (or ditch them completely in s15 Silvias) as, after a very short amount of time, torsen diffs wear out with drifting and just become open. Also, as you state, you get some quite interesting handling characteristics when the power moves almost randomly from one side of the car to the other.

If I were going to put my money towards a 300 fitment LSD it would be a clutch pack. Realistically anything sub-£1000 is quite cheap for what that kind of kit actually is (not that £1k is a small amount of money to be throwing around!). If I were to put an aftermarket lsd in my M3 it'd cost me a grand, just shy of a grand to uprate my stock diff with off the shelf parts so that it was properly set up and gave around 80% locking instead of the stock 25%. That makes putting a group buy together of units around the £650 mark very cheap as things go. Effectively puts them in the same price range as buying a new Kaaz 2-way or 1.5-way for Nissan S- or R- bodies and that's about the cheapest aftermarket diff you can buy.

miniswift

Post by miniswift » 22 Feb 2012 09:50 pm

Hi,

I heard that Mazda MX-5 uses torsen type as a std LSD diff fitment.
We all know that they are so called good handling car, so it may work OK.

What does people think?

Cheers
Atchi

sven360

Post by sven360 » 25 Feb 2012 09:25 pm

If you rear wheel steer clutch.

Torsion 4 tuggers.
Keeper of The Knights' of Bushido-lest we forget

Write it in your heart.
Stand by the code and it will stand by you.

Ask no more and give no less than honesty,courage,loyalty,generosity and fairness.

The code of the West.

miniswift

Post by miniswift » 04 Mar 2012 12:39 pm

What do you mean by that?
If you rear wheel steer. Is this mean drifting?

What's tugger?
I'm not very good with these special terms.
I just want to have going side way for fun... sometime.

Cheers
Atchi

Van Hoof

Post by Van Hoof » 18 Apr 2012 05:14 pm

I'm assuming that's the difference between RWD and FWD to be honest.

miniswift

Post by miniswift » 10 May 2012 10:20 am

Hi,

I got e-mail from supplier and told me it will be ready soon.
They even made rapid prototype to see if it works!

When I get it, I shall take a lot of pics and show it to you boys and girls.

Cheers
Atchi