F7P Thermostat connections

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
Alex Laidlaw

F7P Thermostat connections

Post by Alex Laidlaw » 05 Sep 2011 10:22 am

Hi guys

Will post up a thread for my F7P conversion sometime soon. I've got a quick question regarding the thermostat connections in the mean time.

I've got a Renault 19 thermostat and was pleasantly surprised to find both the 1.7 radiator hoses fitted straight onto the engine, which I don't think was the case for other people (maybe the Clio thermostat is different?).

Anyway I'm now a bit confused as to what to do with the other connections. I've got a small diameter outlet on the top left of the thermostat housing which I believe was the expansion tank connection and a larger diameter hose which goes into a T piece which I assume is for the heater.

Do I need to run the expansion tank outlet to the expansion tank (and drill out the second conveniently placed connection on the Volvo tank or do I blank it off, or should I blank the original Volvo radiator expansion point off and just use this new one?

Similarly what do I do about the heater hoses, do I just put them into this T piece and stick the flow restrictor valve into one of the pipes going into the heater matrix or do something else? I'm not sure if there will be any flow if I stick both heater hoses on the one T piece?

I've attached a picture of my thermostat.

Alex Laidlaw

Re: F7P Thermostat connections

Post by Alex Laidlaw » 11 Sep 2012 06:48 pm

Bit of a bump here!

I've worked most of it out but I'm left a bit stumped about the heater matrix. I've got a small outlet from the R19 thermostat to use on the control valve side and the bits to replicate the 1.7 setup with the bypass pipe.

I can't see any sensible place to route the heater matrix return pipe to, what have others done? The 1.7 block has a metal pipe that goes to the water pump inlet, however, the F7P doesn't have this and looking at a few photos of other cars it seems that people aren't returning the heater matrix down here.

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 12 Sep 2012 12:57 am

Transfer the T piece and pipe across. You need to drift the T piece out carefully though

http://www.flickr.com/photos/c_cardwell ... 4229120615
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

Alex Laidlaw

Post by Alex Laidlaw » 12 Sep 2012 10:08 am

Cheers for that Chris. I think I might just blank off the last thermostat connection for now to save faffing about swapping that over now the engine is in the car!

Alex Laidlaw

Post by Alex Laidlaw » 05 Apr 2014 01:38 am

Another big bump. DPG is now back on the road with F7P power, is a tad faster and noisier than before, proper thread to follow...

For now though I would like to plumb up the heater matrix (currently blanked off), as I didn't fit the T piece that Chris posted before fitting the engine to the car I will just fit a T piece adaptor to the bottom hose.

As it is now all in the car and I don't want to drain the coolant yet if someone has one of these to hand could you measure the pipe ID of the lower hose at the block connection?

Alex Laidlaw

Post by Alex Laidlaw » 12 Apr 2014 02:55 pm

Found that I had actually saved this T piece from my donor engine. For anybody interested the sizes (so connecting hose ID) are 30 and 20mm.