Burning oil smell?

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
williswoody

Burning oil smell?

Post by williswoody » 01 Oct 2012 09:34 am

Hi there,
I've had my car fixed a couple of times now, and only a few months ago I can smell oil or something whenever I accelerate. I've been told it smells stronger from the passenger side, but I can also smell it when my 360 is running and I'm standing outside next to it.

I've taken it to the mechanic since for a service, I told him about it, but he couldn't find anything. I check the oil around once a week and there's always plenty in there. Should it be something I worry about? The car IS from 1984... but I couldn't smell it when I first got it.

Anyone else had similar experiences? Thanks :)
1984 VOLVO 360 GLT HATCH Owner. First car. Aussie. Uncertain of it, after it's started playing up lately :/

Fuse

Re: Burning oil smell?

Post by Fuse » 01 Oct 2012 12:49 pm

A (partly) clogged PCV system could cause the smell. PCV system's oil separator box is at the intake side of the engine so the stronger smell at the passenger side would also point that way.

Here's a thorough guide for checking and cleanin the PCV system. It's written for 700-series cars, but it's the same system as in 360. http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/EngineS ... A_Treatise

Worn valve guide seals are also very much likely to cause burning oil smell when accelerating. Do you get any blue smoke from the exhaust when accelerating? If there's any blue smoke from the exhaust when accelerating, the culprits for the smell (and smoke) are quite likely worn valve guide seals.

-Marko
Volvo R-Sport - Equipment for the car enthusiast.

“Buy land, they're not making it anymore” - Mark Twain

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway

Ride_on

Post by Ride_on » 02 Oct 2012 12:53 am

You should not get a sudden smell from general driving unless there is a breather leak, an exhaust leak under the car or oil really pissing out onto something hot.

I'm not sure what a PCV system is (positive crank vent?), crank case should have a slight vacuum. Undo the oil filler cap and leave it sitting there with the engine idling, then try to lift it with light finger tip pressure. You should feel an initial suction which releases one you get it off the surface.

The flame trap can get blocked and a coiled filter is replaced with a holed plastic type in later spares/engines. If pressure does build up the plastic cap at the back of the bead will pop out and soak your engine bay in oil. The oil flame trap (seperator?) is in the pipe above the black plastic module beside the starter, its about 1" diameter and is a friction fit in the pipe, easy to remove by hand without any tools normally. There is also a little pipe that comes out, make sure that is connected to the manifold or carb, isn't blocked (or the nipple).
1980 345 DL_______1987 360 GLE (project car restored to GLT spec and B230FT'd)
1984 360 GLT______1987 360 GLT
1983 360 GLS______1989 360 GLE
1985 340 GL_______1986 340 1.4
1985 360 GLS______1995 940 SE 2.3 Turbo Estate (daily)
1987 340 GL 1.7

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 02 Oct 2012 08:48 am

PCV (positive crank case ventilation) term with redblock engines usually includes the whole breather system, it's all explained in the FAQ article posted above.
Volvo R-Sport - Equipment for the car enthusiast.

“Buy land, they're not making it anymore” - Mark Twain

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway