Erratic running when cold and during warming-up period

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
karoliens

Erratic running when cold and during warming-up period

Post by karoliens » 06 Jan 2013 02:05 pm

Hello,

So according to manual I should check:

auxilary air valve;
N.T.C. air mass meter;
inductuion system, air leakage.

My auxilary air valve looks like this when -2°C:

And fully closes when engine is warm.

So could someone confirm that auxilary air valve is working and I can move to the next step? I also know that it can be adjusted with that 7mm bolt. When cold what RPM it should be when started? Engine is 2.0 injection.

karoliens

Re: Erratic running when cold and during warming-up period

Post by karoliens » 06 Jan 2013 02:59 pm

N.T.C. air mass meter looks OK. It shows 50ohms at 20°C. Checked for air leakage and everything seems fine no cracked hoses. But one vacuum hose is blocked with bolt. Should it be connected somewhere?

It comes from two nipples connection from engine head. You could see it through 1st and 2nd cylinder inlet manifold gap:

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 06 Jan 2013 05:34 pm

that blocked hose is for the EGR, the valve that is near that

i would suggest you check if the cold-start injector is leaking, spray around the inlet manifold with brake cleaner or similar flammable substance to check for air leaks when cold
there's a steel pipe on top of the inlet manifold wich is also for the EGR, that can be leaking too

karoliens

Post by karoliens » 06 Jan 2013 08:14 pm

Where EGR is located. Perhaps you have a photo? Because I can't see any loose nipples.Yes my next check is 5th injector.