Electronic fuel pump

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
scamparoo

Electronic fuel pump

Post by scamparoo » 19 Jan 2013 06:39 pm

Just wondering how you wire in a an electronic fuel pump into a Volvo 340 fitted with a f7p with twin 40 Dellorto's?

Cheers

Dean

Re: Electronic fuel pump

Post by Dean » 19 Jan 2013 10:06 pm

scamparoo wrote:Just wondering how you wire in a an electronic fuel pump into a Volvo 340 fitted with a f7p with twin 40 Dellorto's?

Cheers
See mine is just wired straight to the battery by a switched live, though considering its a fuel pump it probably should be a bit better.... Use some decent wire and a relay and there wont be any fires :lol:

Line coming out of the tank to a pre-pump filter to the pump > carbs

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 19 Jan 2013 10:15 pm

ideally you want to the fuel pump to automatically shut off if the engine dies and not possible to activate it with the ignition off, mainly for safety reasons.. you don't want to be K.O. in a car with fire and a fuel pump that's still running..

i have acces to 8sec delay relays from my work, so i can use the D+ wire (12V only if engine is running) to switch the fuel pump relay, as soon as i flip the ignition on i have 8sec to get the engine running after that it keeps the fuel pump off automatically. if engine stalls/dies or ignition is switched off the pumps are too. that's a safe, easy and reliable way of wiring it in, but it does require the correct relay..

same thing can be done with the ignition switched relays (like the LE-Jetronic's system on a 360 for example) but i didn't bother to go there

Dean

Post by Dean » 19 Jan 2013 10:19 pm

volvodspec wrote:ideally you want to the fuel pump to automatically shut off if the engine dies and not possible to activate it with the ignition off, mainly for safety reasons.. you don't want to be K.O. in a car with fire and a fuel pump that's still running..

i have acces to 8sec delay relays from my work, so i can use the D+ wire (12V only if engine is running) to switch the fuel pump relay, as soon as i flip the ignition on i have 8sec to get the engine running after that it keeps the fuel pump off automatically. if engine stalls/dies or ignition is switched off the pumps are too. that's a safe, easy and reliable way of wiring it in, but it does require the correct relay..

same thing can be done with the ignition switched relays (like the LE-Jetronic's system on a 360 for example) but i didn't bother to go there
I had mine wired to the switched live, but if I stopped and wanted the radio on it would flood out the overflow. I never knew there was a live that was only live when the engine was running. That's a pretty good idea.

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 20 Jan 2013 12:43 am

You could use a LPG safety car relay. That does the same thing. If you loose RPM signal it switches the power off.
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

scamparoo

Post by scamparoo » 20 Jan 2013 01:38 am

Yeah I heard about the LPG relay working, so how exactly would I go about wiring that in?

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 20 Jan 2013 01:18 pm

Dead easy to wire in. Pick up ignition live from fuse box. RPM signal from renix or dash. Power out to fuel pump and earth.
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/