cvt clutch adjustment, and new kit

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
thejackal01

cvt clutch adjustment, and new kit

Post by thejackal01 » 03 Feb 2013 09:05 pm

please can someone advise on shims for the clutch?? not too sure3 about this and whjere i can buy a new cvt vario clutch from if i need one.

many thanks.

macplaxton

Re: cvt clutch adjustment, and new kit

Post by macplaxton » 03 Feb 2013 09:39 pm

Rewind a bit.

Have you checked the clutch gap you have at the moment. If not, then it's probably best to do that first and work out what you need in the way of shims. Measure the gap first, then we'll know what we need to find.

Clutch sets (that is cover, friction plate and release bearing) come up on ebay, but not very often. Prices between £60-180 depend on luck. Other than that, it'll be a remanufactured exchange, and it's likely to be more than that.

Clutches can last 100k+ if looked after. Anything more than idle in "P" and it'll soon be toast. DO NOT REV ENGINE IN P.

Whilst we're discussing CVTs, the belts are about £160 a pair.

I almost never put the car in P when the engine is running. I start and finish in "N". "P" is there to stop my car rolling away until I get may handbrake fixed :oops:
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel