WASHER ON IDLE-SOLENOID?

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
Justin

WASHER ON IDLE-SOLENOID?

Post by Justin » 11 Feb 2013 12:07 pm

I recently replaced my old (broken) idle-solenoid with a secondhand one. My old solenoid pictured below had a much thinner washer on it than the replacement one.

For some reason the washer on the replacement one was much thicker and had a slight recess in it to house a small rubber washer.

I put the original "thinner" washer onto the replacement solenoid as I figured that my car ran ok before my original solenoid packed up with the thinner washer in place so that must be the way its set-up?

It seems to me that having a thicker washer on the solenoid would stop it sitting so deep inside the carb?
Last edited by Justin on 13 Feb 2013 05:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1988 340 1.4 DL

(I suffer with O.C.D. which makes me obsessed with fine detail)

(Diagrams or photos are far more helpful to me when it comes to cars)

alf

Re: WASHER ON IDLE-SOLENOID?

Post by alf » 12 Feb 2013 10:43 am

Hello, take a look:
https://www.sucarb.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=31221

Some years ago i owned a Oltcit Club, a romanian version of Citroen Axel and that solenoid looks very fammiliar to me.
the early bird gets the worm
`87 B200E on LPG grey GLT aka Time Machine

Justin

Post by Justin » 12 Feb 2013 03:52 pm

Both my original solenoid and the secondhand replacement one came off a 340...
1988 340 1.4 DL

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 12 Feb 2013 07:05 pm

you need both, you should have: solenoid>thin washer>washer with recess> O-ring and that screws into the carb.

the recessed ring is to make sure the O-ring stays in the correct place to seal the port in the carb

Justin

Post by Justin » 13 Feb 2013 03:51 pm

volvodspec wrote:you need both, you should have: solenoid>thin washer>washer with recess> O-ring and that screws into the carb.

the recessed ring is to make sure the O-ring stays in the correct place to seal the port in the carb
Thanks, this is very valuable information indeed. My current solenoid has just the thin washer and then a rubber washer; my car seems to be running fine and was tuned perfectly by ear by a friend of mine who used to work for my main Volvo dealership back in the 80's. He wasnt sure of the washer set-up either.

I guess if I set it up as you've described it'll affect the carbs current tuning? Also, when you say washer with recess do you mean the thicker washer that the rubber ring sits inside? Im guessing the o-ring needs to be placed/positioned inside the washer with a recess?

My cars running like a dream with its current set-up and Im worried that if I do what you've suggested it'll seriously throw the tuning out; What will happen if I carry on driving my car as it is?
1988 340 1.4 DL