Idle Issues.. Vacuum?

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
RobST

Idle Issues.. Vacuum?

Post by RobST » 13 Feb 2013 12:38 pm

Hi guys, first post for info so be nice! :)

Most importantly, I have an F reg 360 gle..

I've read many threads on here about adjusting the carb etcc to sort out idle, but after having a look around the bay i have a vacuum hose coming out of the inlet manifold that goes to nowhere (pics to follow)..
When i cover this it drops the idle rpm slightly, but makes it 100x smoother.. So where it will usually stall when the choke is put in, it will now idle..
My question is does anyone know where it should go to? I can't work it out at all.. If not i will just blank it with a screw but want to do as much as i can to get it back to standard running before i play with the carb..

The car runs on after switch off and dies when coming off the power with no choke during driving.. It only started this week and has an MOT tomorrow.. Typical!

Here are the pics of the hose..

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Cheers,
Rob

340GLT
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: Idle Issues.. Vacuum?

Post by 340GLT » 13 Feb 2013 06:08 pm

Judging by the length of the pipe it seems as if it should go to the carb? Have a look to see if there is anywhere that it will reach.
Adam
F559 LFE - 340R 2.0 16v
C208 CTR - 340 1.8 16v
D300 LBO - 360 GLT 3 Door Turbo project!! (and restoration)
F706 RBX - 350R in process!!!

RobST

Post by RobST » 13 Feb 2013 07:49 pm

Thanks for the reply :)

I agree with it being so short it looks like it should go to the carb somewhere but i can't find any outlets that aren't being used..
To be fair though, i'm much more used to injection engines, so i could have easily missed something, just thought someone with a 360 may have some idea..
Will have another look but i was out there for ages earlier looking around and nothing jumped out at me.. Think i might just temporarily block the hose with a screw to be honest, and hope the MOT tester just doesn't notice and it doesn't affect emissions too much, although i think it will :(

Cheers,
Rob

pettaw
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by pettaw » 14 Feb 2013 07:44 am

It looks as though it might be the hose that goes to the oil separator in the PCV system. Under the manifold towards the back of the engine there is a large plastic housing with a large tube coming off it. There is a T-Piece which contains the flame trap and there shouid be a little stump on there which a small hose of that size would connect to.

Just a thought.

RobST

Post by RobST » 14 Feb 2013 06:28 pm

I did discuss the thought of a t-piece with a mate last night but only just got back from work.. Will go and have a look..
Thanks for the description of where it might be, very helpful :)

Update to follow...