CVT transmission Protective Cover

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
PeterVuggles

CVT transmission Protective Cover

Post by PeterVuggles » 27 Feb 2013 12:01 am

Hello all,

does anybody know where one can obtain the two parts that make up this item?

Alternatively can you run without them as mine are so cracked they vibrate and make a whirring noise that makes you think that a panel on the vehicle is about to drop off? My 343 is in the Canaries. This may influenc your reply. No salt on the road, very little rain but a pleanty of dust from the rough roads here and sometimes in the air when the wind is blowing off the Sahara.

thanks in anticipation

Peter

macplaxton

Re: CVT transmission Protective Cover

Post by macplaxton » 27 Feb 2013 04:18 am

Well it's likely to be in the same state from a donor vehicle, give or take a few cracks. Given the bulk of the outer U-shape and the chance/expense/time of finding a NOS one, how about welding the cracks on the existing one?
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

thebear54

Post by thebear54 » 27 Feb 2013 12:38 pm

Alternatively, you can run without them.
The covers are there to protect against road objects (sticks, rocks, dogs, cats) getting into the Vario area. I personally have taken a few of my covers off and have never replaced them.

John
DAF CLUB of AMERICA Director & DAF MUSEUM-USA Director

macplaxton

Post by macplaxton » 27 Feb 2013 02:00 pm

Yeah John, but you don't go out when it's raining. :P
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

Hell Driver

Post by Hell Driver » 27 Feb 2013 11:02 pm

Running without is not advisable long term as at the very least gravel will get in, not good for the pully surfaces and belts. The car won't stop working but damage could build up. Dust will get in anyway but I wouldn't like the idea of anything bigger going in!

Be carefull with those pullys, fingers could easily be crushed. I've changed belts/units a couple of times years ago. It's not difficult with the correct tool which I once borrowed. I once made a homemade device (2 threaded rods with a detachable wooden block in the middle which worked well although more work than the proper tool.

Make sure there is alway a small gap between the pullys (secondary) and that the distance adjustment between the primary and secondary always has the belts running with a ring of silver showing at the outer edge of the secondary.

This is to allow for the belts bedding in. Adjust again after a few hundres miles. Failure to allow for this and checking of the gap is a major casue of belt failure from what I remember.

IMPORTANT:

Is you whirring vibrating noise the belts drumming on the cover? If so check belt adjustment/condition.
360 GLE Saloon (D 86)
360 GLS (A 84)
343 DL (W 80) :-)
340 GL 1.7 (G 89)
360 GLS (Y 83)
440 Turbo (J 92)
Transit Tipper 125 T350 (02)Alive Again!
Transit Tipper Smiley face Q reg
Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 (54)
R.I.P. 77 343 DL vario :-(

thebear54

Post by thebear54 » 06 Mar 2013 12:36 pm

macplaxton wrote:Yeah John, but you don't go out when it's raining. :P
Sometimes, unavoidable Richard. :wink: When it happens it can be a fun ride...LOL

Seriously though-If the car is used as a daily I would recommend repairing the shield and putting it back on to avoid daily road hazards.

John
DAF CLUB of AMERICA Director & DAF MUSEUM-USA Director