confused and getting to the point of failure

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
thejackal01

confused and getting to the point of failure

Post by thejackal01 » 06 May 2013 06:18 pm

guys if you can help me out I would be in debt to you.....

I am stil having problems with my 1.4 vario.

revs to 3-3500 at 30 mph again!!!

done the complete ccheck list on the manual supplied on this site and checked all electrical connections.

fitted new transistor on board with new vac kit and the car seemed to work as it should. ....

the car now revs on take off..sometimes it drives normal from take off....sometimes it can be crusing at 30mph fine and then the revs just pick up to 3500rpm and them maybe drop back to normal, or it may stay high until the end of the journey.

I am getting fed up with this car trying my best to get it sorted out. had I looked at my a couple of people now and they know nothing about these varios.....

please can anyone think of anything I could have missed before I loose my temper with this beast. thank you guys :evil:

macplaxton

Re: confused and getting to the point of failure

Post by macplaxton » 06 May 2013 06:30 pm

thejackal01 wrote:fitted new transistor on board
What's your soldering like? Perhaps a dry joint?

Sticking/sticky throttle?

Sorry can't help much at the minute, brain fried, been up too long. :(
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

thejackal01

Post by thejackal01 » 06 May 2013 06:33 pm

I have cheked the dry joints etc. just lubbed the cable to see if that makes any differene but now stuck in over drive like it was when I first bough it.

will have a look again tomorrow,,, but I am loosing the plot with this car for tonight...

macplaxton

Post by macplaxton » 06 May 2013 06:47 pm

Probably best to sleep on it.

thejackal01

Post by thejackal01 » 08 May 2013 05:55 pm

slept on it/.......... went at it again going over the complete cvt manual on here......

at close inspection of the circuit board.. and cleaning bit of dirt off it, I noticed a little tiny brown fleck from one of the pins to the board itself..

followed the line that goes to the transisitor that is known for blowing ( which I changed few months ago went I first got it.) chznged it again anyway, added the extra diode I got from maplins and found this brown speck is a break in the circuit

cleaned it up.... soldering iron out with small piece of wire.. joined the connection and went on test drive!!!

RESULT!!!!! 340pw

ALL WORKING .. OVER THE MOON!!! alittle drop of wee nearly stained my drivers seat. thanks for the help of the manual guys on here.. without this I would have given up and probably lost it with this car....many thanks

macplaxton

Post by macplaxton » 08 May 2013 06:09 pm

340pw

Glad you traced the fault. Sometimes you can't see for looking, then you spot it straight away when you look at it again later.

As you can see from some of photos, you can find some right dodgy joints/circuit board tracks/pads inside that tacho relay. Thankfully they didn't pot the lot in!

thejackal01

Post by thejackal01 » 08 May 2013 06:36 pm

it was the pictures that made me look that little harder.

from working through the manual from this site, and going slowly taking time to look I got there...

I do have a short fuse and this was testing me... but I love this car and knew it was I good condition as the mot tester commented on it when he looked over it and was supprised howgood it is for its age.... this made me more so to find the fault.. everyone at work comment on it when its parked in the depo asking about it... especially when I say its variomatic....then theystart with....''oh god, yeah, I used have one of them as my first car etc etc.. love it!!!!