Alternators on the 1.7

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
ratdog

Alternators on the 1.7

Post by ratdog » 21 Jul 2013 04:50 pm

My alternator left me on the side of the road this week, when I did get it home on a jump start and tested it was giving out just 2.5 :(
I was wondering if anyone knew what the replacement options were.
I took this one out and its an A13N Valeo 12V-60A YH1652A.
There is one of these for sale on ebay but it looks just as old as mine. Is there a more modern equivalent? There seems to be a fair bit of variation in the 340 world, 50A, 55A and 60A. Will any of the 60A replacements do or will they have different mountings?

Cheers

mac

Re: Alternators on the 1.7

Post by mac » 21 Jul 2013 06:52 pm

You will need a replacement specific for the B172k engine (1.7) - not only are the mountings specific but the 1.7 unit is the only one to have a multi groove drive pulley.

The probability is that it is the regulator rather than the alternator that has failed (the regulator is the black box bolted to the rear of the main casing and includes the brushes, which wear quite rapidly). I have recently completely rebuilt the alt. on my 1.7 and all parts I needed were available from Wood Auto.

They also supply a replacement rated at 70A.

http://www.woodauto.com/Component.aspx?Ref=ALT14021

Mac.
88 5door Redline 1.7 52k - 19 XC60 Momentum Pro D4 AWD 17k
1950 pair of legs that don't work very well.

ratdog

Post by ratdog » 21 Jul 2013 07:48 pm

Interesting, I quite fancy a go at rebuilding my alternator but have never done one before. I have seen a few of your photo guides, did you ever do one for that? Just leafing through the Haynes there is a set of instructions. Which parts were needed for the rebuild?

mac

Post by mac » 22 Jul 2013 12:35 pm

There is nothing intrinsically difficult about refurbing an alternator, apart from the usual tools you would need to be able to solder (to separate the rectifier pack from the stator windings) and would need a good multimeter for general resistance checks and to check the rectifier diodes.

I haven't produced a photo guide as such but have a few pics of the rebuild on my 1.7

The main components separated and cleaned

"my" unit was in good shape but I decided to change the slip rings, regulator brushes and both bearings - in the event I didn't use the new slip rings but "refaced" the original ones.

The cleaned rotor with refaced slip rings and new rear bearing, and the front cover with new drive bearing installed.

The stator coils cleaned and prepared for reassembly

Reassembly and ready to solder the stator tails to the rectifier

Main casings reunited,

Rear view of same,

The regulator ready for its new bushes,

Regulator remounted - job done!

Mac.

ratdog

Post by ratdog » 22 Jul 2013 08:31 pm

Thank you Mac

That's some inspiring stuff, I'll order some bits. On a side note, what product do you use for your cleaning/resurfacing?

mac

Post by mac » 22 Jul 2013 09:02 pm

Nothing exotic, nothing magical. (The mug is tea (black Russian caravan) not a cleaning product)

Cleaning - generally White Spirit and a range of brushes, wire brushing, bead blasting if necessary.
Small stuff - ultrasonic cleaning tank.
Refinishing - obviously depends on what, but the alloy alternator parts I used "alumablast" an Eastwood product from Frost auto restoration. The stator winding segment ring is Satin Black aerosol from Holts.

If you decide to have a go and want to pick my brain PM me.

Mac.