CVT warning lamp & buzzer service bulletin

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
macplaxton

CVT warning lamp & buzzer service bulletin

Post by macplaxton » 04 Nov 2013 09:20 pm

(A bit of, ahem, copy 'n' paste from the VOC :oops:)

I'm looking for the service bulletin on the above subject.

I know that later cars are fitted with this intermittent buzzer and flashing warning lamp that are activated should the selector detent button be pushed down.

I have an 1982 car with one that was presumably retrofitted by a dealer (as the spare blanking plate removed to fit the light was loose in the oddment tray).
DSCF0908 by macplaxton, on Flickr

I also have a 1978 car which appears to have one missing. The wiring loom for it is there, but the warning light is missing from the hole by the selector lever, along with the flasher relay and buzzer.
2013-11-01_12-16-26_311.jpg by macplaxton, on Flickr
2013-11-01_12-21-16_878.jpg by macplaxton, on Flickr
I wish to re-instate the system and want to know what the lamp assembly that fits the hole looks like. The service bulletin might be helpful in identifying it, or any other information would be gratefully received.

Some additional info from The BoL says:
During 1983 the gear selector mechanism was modified to improve gear selection. The modification includes an audible and visual signal when a selection is not properly engaged, improved tolerances, and an extra drive position indicator to the right of the selector lever.
As can be seen, this newer selector has been fitted to the MY78 sometime in its life. It has a squarer top button, as opposed to the rectangular top one of that MY78 onwards type. It's more textured the finish too. Here's the early one, with orange letters.
This modification can be fitted to all models from 1978, although it is best fitted by your Volvo dealer on models up to 1983.
A bracket and clips are supplied with the modification kit for fitting of the buzzer and relay
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

baron_matt

Re: CVT warning lamp & buzzer service bulletin

Post by baron_matt » 05 Nov 2013 03:49 pm

On a similar topic...Any idea where the warning buzzer is located on a 1986 vario? I have the flashing red light but no buzzer sounding. Where is this buzzer usually located?

macplaxton

Re: CVT warning lamp & buzzer service bulletin

Post by macplaxton » 05 Nov 2013 05:47 pm

Behind the centre console in front of the selector. There's a wee bit about it in the green book. The wiring isn't all that long. According to the parts book for 85> there are two devices, one buzzer and one flasher, both with the same metal clips that attach to the relay cases. So I assume that they are clipped onto a flat edge somewhere round there?
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel