Volvo 340 1.7 Carb Problem

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
TeH_Jamie

Volvo 340 1.7 Carb Problem

Post by TeH_Jamie » 23 Mar 2014 12:05 pm

Hi all,

I took my car to the local garage after noticing a fuel smell most of the time and wanted to make sure
I didn't have a fuel leak.

I was told that the carburettor was on it's way out. Yesterday I turned the car off and it gave out a loud hiss. I took the car out for a drive a bit later on to make sure all was ok, and the car was running really rough - revved at 2000 for a while on idle but would then drop below 1000 and felt like it wanted to stall. The top left dial on the instrument cluster has also stopped working.

Any advice please? If the carb does need replacing I can't find anywhere that sells them!

Thanks,
Jamie

Joris

Re: Volvo 340 1.7 Carb Problem

Post by Joris » 23 Mar 2014 12:07 pm

Is the top left dial a vacuumgauge? Then the problem could be the vacuumhose from the intake manifold to the gauge is broken. Resulting in rough/bad running

TeH_Jamie

Post by TeH_Jamie » 23 Mar 2014 12:22 pm

I'm not sure to be honest. I thought it was just an economy gauge?

CBA

Post by CBA » 23 Mar 2014 03:02 pm

You're leaking vacuum.

Carb "on its way out"... That isnt any condition I'm familiar with.

You have a really simple common fault there, don't worry :)

The highly knowledgeable and less-inclined-to-cut-corners members will be here shortly to advise. But if you look in the green books for the vacuum pipes assoc. with the carb/manifold+econ gauge you'll know where to look for your leak.

With engine running spray water(mr muscle gun) around the places it could be leaking, you'll hear the engine suck the water into the gap etc and pinpoint your leak.

Seeing as theres NO vacuum recorded at all on the dial, it's going to be a big, easy to find leak.