timong and mixture adjustment + other points

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
Nick-340GL

timong and mixture adjustment + other points

Post by Nick-340GL » 09 Sep 2014 07:53 am

I have an e reg 340 1.7, is it possible to adjust the timing with a timing light and twisting the dizzy or is it all done on the renex unit?

mixture: from what i gather i have a solex 28-34 twin choke, where's the mixture adjustment as i think the previous owners turnt the mixture right up.

pre heat chamber: i see its got some sort of water pipes connected to the carb, does it really need this as i beleive its for emissions isn't it, heats the fuel up, so can i disoconnect and join the pipes?

black canister type thing on slam panel? What is it? Some sort of swirl pot or something? I disconnected the fuel pipes that go from the pump into it and just put the pump straight into the carb and its improved my fuel economy no end. Before i could noticeably see the gauge drop but now it hardly moves?
1987 1.7 340 4 door saloon, 2" drop on 13s with a welder :D

macplaxton

Re: timong and mixture adjustment + other points

Post by macplaxton » 09 Sep 2014 09:22 am

Timing, all done on Renix.

Solex info: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=9289
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

Nick-340GL

Post by Nick-340GL » 09 Sep 2014 10:42 am

So u cant adjust it?

what about the mixture? And the heated carb bit?

LadbrokeOB

Post by LadbrokeOB » 09 Sep 2014 01:34 pm

I'm pretty interested to know about the fuel filter (swirl pot type thing) as mine has one, but my friends 1.7 340 from the same year (F reg) doesn't have one. We both have see through inline filters fitted before the fuel pump. Can anyone tell me why, should I not have an inline filter and just the slam panel type filter?

My fuel economy is pretty poor and i'm in the process of trying to sort it out, having changed the filters, fuel pump and delivery hoses in the hope it would get better (£20 @1.31 per litre just about gets me 85 miles if i drive like a granny, which is about 23mpg) so i'm now going to be getting a rebuild service kit for the carb. The fumes smell rich and sometimes I get a missfire/ hesitation. I know the mixture can be adjusted but is the missfire likely to be the renix unit playing up?
1988 1.7 340 Redline

Nick-340GL

Post by Nick-340GL » 09 Sep 2014 03:03 pm

I took that swirl pot thing off and put the pipe straight to the carb, its improved the mpg no end. Did a few flat out runs and the gauge hardly moved (probably dodgey sender tho :L) so id say try taking it out and run inline filters instead :)

andrew

Post by andrew » 09 Sep 2014 07:50 pm

LadbrokeOB wrote:I'm pretty interested to know about the fuel filter (swirl pot type thing) as mine has one, but my friends 1.7 340 from the same year (F reg) doesn't have one. We both have see through inline filters fitted before the fuel pump. Can anyone tell me why, should I not have an inline filter and just the slam panel type filter?

My fuel economy is pretty poor and i'm in the process of trying to sort it out, having changed the filters, fuel pump and delivery hoses in the hope it would get better (£20 @1.31 per litre just about gets me 85 miles if i drive like a granny, which is about 23mpg) so i'm now going to be getting a rebuild service kit for the carb. The fumes smell rich and sometimes I get a missfire/ hesitation. I know the mixture can be adjusted but is the missfire likely to be the renix unit playing up?
my misfire on idle was due to bad mixture (dirty carb, air leak) on idle
misfire in mid revs was cured by changing distributor, high voltage wires, plugs, cleaning contacts on renix coil and changing the flywheel sensor due to small crack