Starting issues.

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
Dan91

Starting issues.

Post by Dan91 » 21 Feb 2015 03:53 pm

Ok so my 340 1.7 has been struggling to start sometimes, but always fired up no matter what, and once it was going it was a dream, drove spot on.

Here's what usually happens, i turn the ignition, two good pumps of throttle, turn over and add choke, it usually fires up, then dies, then i do the same again and it fires up and runs on the choke. I put this down to it not liking the cold very much recently.

However, i went out and washed it this morning, went back inside for a few hours, came out to pop to the shops and it wouldnt start, turned over healthy just not firing up?

So i went troubleshooting, tested the fuel pump by turning it over with coil hd lead off and pipe disconnected from carb, it was spitting fuel out so that seemed good, plugs and leads looked fine, didnt take dizzy off to look because its a bitch of a job when you have no worthwhile tools at home.

After head scratching and playing i gave up, but before i went back inside i gave it another go, full choke out and pumped the throttle, it started up, hey presto.

But now im wondering what caused this, would i have flooded the carb and then had to wait for it to disperse? and im right about the other starting issues just being the cold?

Or could there be a real problem? Fuel pump is weak or something?

I know the carb is good, Mac did a very good rebuild of it and once the car is running it drives absolutely spot on

Plugs/leads/dizzy are about 8 months old at most. I had about half a tank of fuel so not low/crap fuel.

The good news is its working now, but if this is a potential problem obviously id like to head it of.

Any suggestions chaps? My brains thinking weak fuel pump or restricted fuel (Filter?) I will order a filter and change that if somebody could link me one, for the sake of it as i dont know when it was changed. :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Filter-W ... 3395311f78 - is this the correct filter? If so i will order, as would not surprise me if that was causing it, i may be wrong though

Cheers in advance, Dan

bogbasic

Re: Starting issues.

Post by bogbasic » 21 Feb 2015 04:36 pm

I would be interested to know since my 1.7 doesn't like starting when hot.... It starts after a few goes and then dies and then restarts perfectly with no problem thereafter...
1988 340 1.4 GL, 218k, 5 door (Grey Bess). Gone to CBA.
1991 340 1.7 GL, 64k, 5 door, petrol blue (Deep Blue).
1988 360 2.0 GLE, 140k, 5 door, ocean blue metallic (Blue Bess).
1989 340 1.7 GL, 108k, 3 door (Red Ness).
More info here!

Dan91

Post by Dan91 » 21 Feb 2015 04:38 pm

bogbasic wrote:I would be interested to know since my 1.7 doesn't like starting when hot.... It starts after a few goes and then dies and then restarts perfectly with no problem thereafter...
Mine does exactly this on the first start of the day, or if its been left for a long time and is stone cold! Its usually spot on during a hot start.

Ride_on

Post by Ride_on » 23 Feb 2015 09:30 pm

You might have flooded it, carb engines are difficult to start and usually need a technique to start reliably. You can try turning over on no choke and no throttle to help clear excess fuel. But sensitivity to excess fuel can be a weak spark. Is there any hesitation when reving or choking on applying power?

the 1.7 can have weak spark issues from oil leaking into and evaporating onto the cap. There can be a wear lip on the cam and the seal should be positioned to avoid this.
1980 345 DL_______1987 360 GLE (project car restored to GLT spec and B230FT'd)
1984 360 GLT______1987 360 GLT
1983 360 GLS______1989 360 GLE
1985 340 GL_______1986 340 1.4
1985 360 GLS______1995 940 SE 2.3 Turbo Estate (daily)
1987 340 GL 1.7

Dan91

Post by Dan91 » 26 Feb 2015 06:27 pm

Ride_on wrote:You might have flooded it, carb engines are difficult to start and usually need a technique to start reliably. You can try turning over on no choke and no throttle to help clear excess fuel. But sensitivity to excess fuel can be a weak spark. Is there any hesitation when reving or choking on applying power?

the 1.7 can have weak spark issues from oil leaking into and evaporating onto the cap. There can be a wear lip on the cam and the seal should be positioned to avoid this.
I could be wrong but im fairly sure i didnt flood it. Like i said i can start it everytime bar that one, it nearly always fires up, dies down, then i fire it up again and it's fine from then on.

There is no hesitation other than you feel it opening the second flap in the carb when you full throttle, no choking. Carb was rebuilt recently and is good.

The leads/plugs/cap are less than 8 months old and no signs on oil nearby.