CVT problem - gear up

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
foka

CVT problem - gear up

Post by foka » 18 Apr 2016 01:36 pm

Hi there
I have this problem: my 340 vario suddenly revs high.
I did the electric as good as I can and I followed manual, this is what I found:

- the pressuere in pipes seem to bo fine
- good suction in B
- no suction in A above 1800
- when I opperate the switches without engine on the coil is clicking
- when engine on and the revs above 1800 no click on the coil but ok with other 2 switches
- i have overhauled EMV last year
- i have removed throttle switch and the spring seem to be ok
-

Any help much appreciated.
I'm not a mechanic though :)

I' more than happy to provide more info if needed.

Thanks

volvodspec

Re: CVT problem - gear up

Post by volvodspec » 19 Apr 2016 06:20 pm

do you only have suction in B with one of the switches applyed (kickdown, low gear hold, brake pressure switch) or at all times?

when it only sucks if you apply one of these switches, you'll probably need a new transistor in the Tachometric relay and diode for the EMV

foka

Post by foka » 19 Apr 2016 08:10 pm

volvodspec wrote:do you only have suction in B with one of the switches applyed (kickdown, low gear hold, brake pressure switch) or at all times?

when it only sucks if you apply one of these switches, you'll probably need a new transistor in the Tachometric relay and diode for the EMV

Hey
Yes, that is it. Suction in B when brake applied and when low gear switch applied. No suction in A when foot down.
I have replaced diode last year in EMV. Shall I just do the transistor?

By the way I think the suction was there in A randomly - once there, once not - cannot be sure though as I was a that point when annoyance is taking over :)

F.

Havin-a-tug

Post by Havin-a-tug » 07 Jun 2016 03:26 pm

Can you hear whether the EMV is opening and closing as you reb the engine? The plunger in there often has the end brake off and even if the valve is operating the little bit of rubber stays suctioned into place therefore not opening in affect.
Volvo 340 CVT 1986. Daf 66 SL variomatic 1974.

foka

Post by foka » 11 Jul 2016 01:09 pm

I have checked throttle kickcdown switch and it's always sticking - there is no infinite reading from the meter when the full throttle is on.

Shall I try to replace throttle cable with the switch?

Can I fix the switch itself?

Or is there something else I could do?

Thanks