Clutch fixed!

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
christern

Clutch fixed!

Post by christern » 02 Nov 2017 09:07 am

Hi.

Since I bought my 343 I always have been modest with handling the gearshaft!
Always waited a few minutes before driving away and so on...
One cold morning I started the engine and forgot to swich from P to N.
I wanted some heat in the coupe...
After maybe 5 minutes I came back and of course it smelled inside the car!
SHIT, I thought. The clutch is messed up... It was no longer possible to switch the gear.

I talked to my local Volvo-man and he told to me what to do.
The electrical was no problem. I heard a click from the vacuumvalve.
The valve is not possible to repair so I bought a new one and changed the hoses to new.
When I pressed the button on the gearshaft I heard a sound that I´ve never heard before...
The clutch was working!!! Now I can swich the gear even if the engine is cold and choke is on.

benji1985

Re: Clutch fixed!

Post by benji1985 » 04 Nov 2017 09:56 am

christern wrote:Hi.

Since I bought my 343 I always have been modest with handling the gearshaft!
Always waited a few minutes before driving away and so on...
One cold morning I started the engine and forgot to swich from P to N.
I wanted some heat in the coupe...
After maybe 5 minutes I came back and of course it smelled inside the car!
SHIT, I thought. The clutch is messed up... It was no longer possible to switch the gear.

I talked to my local Volvo-man and he told to me what to do.
The electrical was no problem. I heard a click from the vacuumvalve.
The valve is not possible to repair so I bought a new one and changed the hoses to new.
When I pressed the button on the gearshaft I heard a sound that I´ve never heard before...
The clutch was working!!! Now I can swich the gear even if the engine is cold and choke is on.
Hello, got to love the cvt, I have spent a month tracking down an issue.
The "valve" you talked about is indeed not able to be serviced yet, I am working on a new design so the valve can be serviced, when it is ready it will be reviewed by born built beauties and if successful hopefully new version will be available.

As a side note, at idle with choke the centrifugal clutch does clamp on the clutch disc, but once idle and no choke the prop should be disengaged.
In P and N there is power sent to the de-clutching servo valve thus having the effect of putting your foot on the clutch in a manual car.

There is a wealth of experience and knowledge on the forum with the cvt I have learnt so much.

Ben