360glt B230f swap help needed

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
pigdog85

360glt B230f swap help needed

Post by pigdog85 » 31 Mar 2019 09:07 am

Hey guys i havent had a chance to intoduce myself yet ive been flat out with this little nugget since i got it .
My name is Dave im from australia and the car is a 1987 360glt 2.0l fi 5 speed ...
now a brief run down : i bought it non running with a dead fuel pump fixed it all up got it running perfect got it registered and 1 week later it blew the head gasket ...

Now i had a b230f with k cam sitting here from my last 240 and figured i would drop that in , after scouring the net i came up with the 360 system would run the 2.3l but it may need some tweaking ...
the motor is in the car with new clutch kit it starts but that's about it haha
atm its running very rich, is smoking and stinks , it sounds like theres an air leak there's a high pitch whistle but after going mad looking for it its coming out the intake if you put your ear near the amm its clear as ... the car will idle around 1000rpm but you cant rev it it just dies ..
the b230f has the 240 intake manifold with 360 throttle body, 360 fuel rail, 240 injectors, 360 fuel pressure reg , i swapped coolant temp sensors i haven't done thermal time switch yet but i plugged it in out of the engine and had no change .
had a few issues figuring out where to run vacuums as there's no longer an egr and pulsair system but a very knowledgeable volvo guy walked me thru where he thinks they should go im confident hes right but thats an option we dont really play with 360s here
haven't figured out/ looked into how to upload pics here yet ill sit down later and work it out

im still learning and this may be a little over my head haha ive done a couple manual conversions and swapped in a bigger motor to an old mitsubitshi sigma but this is abit different there's a hell of a lot i don't know and how to figure it out myself ...
any help would be greatly appreciated
cheers
Dave .

360beast

Re: 360glt B230f swap help needed

Post by 360beast » 01 Apr 2019 10:48 pm

I would cure the air leak first then see what it does, amazing how much an air leak can affect running.

What colour is the smoke?

pigdog85

Re: 360glt B230f swap help needed

Post by pigdog85 » 02 Apr 2019 02:18 am

360beast wrote:
01 Apr 2019 10:48 pm
I would cure the air leak first then see what it does, amazing how much an air leak can affect running.

What colour is the smoke?
yeah that was the first thing i attacked im going to go right over everything and double check all my work make sure i havent missed something stupid ive currently got it idling around 900-1000 but cant rev the car it just stalls out .. smoke is black its just running extremely rich .
i also have to install the thermal time switch as i missed that first time round..

i have a spoken to a couple people and i have a list to work through ill keep this updated incase anyone has some input or needs the information later on