New owner looking for some advice

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
AirZero365

New owner looking for some advice

Post by AirZero365 » 02 Jun 2020 04:48 pm

Hi all I'm new to owning a 340, I'm 17 and bought a 1988 1.7 as my first car which was probably a bad Idea but at least its interesting :D. That said there are a number of issues with the car, predictably, which I'm ill equipped to deal with, the thinking behind buying it was that it was a lot cheaper than something newer and I could spend that saved money (and probably a lot more) on parts thus teaching myself some useful skills. Sadly due to Corona I still dont have my license and the car has been sitting since February.
Basically the idle is very high and uneven, its clearly burning a very rich mixture, the engine has some nasty run on and the radiator has a leak. I'm not completely useless at fixing things but I'd rather not mess with the carb, especially if it is leaking air, I don't mind trying to adjust it but I dont have much experience fixing carbs (other than on mowers :lol: ) i have bought a new air filter but was sent a £3 oil filter because I was dumb and bought it from a random place online, that said if anyone knows where to get one legit that would be great, otherwise I'll try my luck on Ebay, also the climate control fan dosent work which is anoying, it looks like it might be down to the heater solanoid? Anyway if anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it, thanks in advance, stay safe

TasMan

Re: New owner looking for some advice

Post by TasMan » 04 Jun 2020 10:51 pm

Congrats on your new purchase. I am new to 300 ownership as well but thought I would say hello. Its fairly quiet on this forum but there are still a lot of helpful users who might come along with advice, sadly I have little assistance to offer as I haven't worked on a 1.7 340.
I have found many of the answers to my numerous questions via the search facility on here....many of the issues will have been covered before as I have found out.
There is a lot more activity on the Facebook group of the same name but the forum stands the test of time.
My only advice would be to download the various greenbooks from the tech section on here and invest in the Autodata and Haynes manuals for the 300 series.
For parts check out Classic Swede and also Skandix. I have also bought various service items direct from my local Volvo dealer and the prices can be competitive.
Good luck...!
Cheers Dave
1987 360 GLT