Baffling fuel problem.

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
andy_h

Baffling fuel problem.

Post by andy_h » 14 Dec 2020 05:37 pm

I’m getting proper annoyed with my GLT as I need it sold and moved but there is a problem with fuelling.

It’s been in storage for 4 years, I got it running no problems then the next day it wouldn’t start but turning fine.

I took the line off the fuel rail , turned the ignition and no fuel. So took the pump off completely, connected it to a battery and it was fine . I reassembled everything and the car started . Thought it was a blockage .

I leave it 48 hours and again, same problem. I check the relay - works fine , check the fuses, fine , check the connections to the fuel pump , fine.
Take the pump off fully again and connect it to a battery and it’s fine. Reassemble and the car starts up And runs fine for the rest of the time I’m working on it.

24 hours later and it’s dead again.

I disconnected the power from the pump, leave it on the fuel lines and connect directly to a battery and nothing.

I think faulty fuel pump so get a new one with new fuel line and filter . Fit all those and the car runs , it runs after 24 and 48 hours gaps.

I had to move it today after nearly 2 weeks and it’s fucking got the same problem. 🤦🏻‍♂️ I just don’t get it.

Anyone had the same issue ?
I checked the relay and fuses , they’re fine.

It’s weird how taking the pump off completely , emptying it of fuel, then reinstalling it seems to work but not a direct power feed when on the lines.

I’m not sure if there’s a blockage because I drained the fuel tank and put on a new filter.

It’s strange and doing my head in.

SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: Baffling fuel problem.

Post by SteveP » 16 Dec 2020 03:41 pm

Sounds bloody frustrating, cars hate being sat though - is the pump/filter definitely free of gunked up fuel each time?
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

andy_h

Re: Baffling fuel problem.

Post by andy_h » 16 Dec 2020 07:10 pm

I drained the tank before I put the new filter , pump and lines in . There was A bit of very dark fuel residue in the last few drips . The old Braided fuel line had perished quite badly But thought that would be flushed taking all the old kit off.
I put 5 litres back in and ran it for 20 mins on 3 occasions over the week i put the new pump in .

It’s such a bloody faff where it’s located but I’m going to have to drain it again and flush it I suppose. See if that brings out more sediment