Potential mayor damage to engine - really need help

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
fatuglypaapa1

Potential mayor damage to engine - really need help

Post by fatuglypaapa1 » 14 Jul 2022 05:31 pm

Hi. Long story short.

Rented out car to movie production. Showed them how to drive the car. Stuntman said OK and said he liked it.

I come to pick it up, they have driven it for 11km.

Car is now incredibly jumpy in first gear, can barerly start from stopped position.

There is a lot of oil on/near:

the crankcase ventilation hoses
the oil sump plug
the clutch cable where it is nearest the engine (also got a fresh new hole in it)
from under the distributor cap
and potentially from the oil plug

Now what the hell happened in those 11km? The clutch works better now after a night of cooling down. But there are still potential oil leaks everywhere.

What would you guys do in this situation? Spontaneously it feels as if they seriously overreved the engine resulting in the crank case ventilation just clogging up after doing this for hours and hours, resulting in overpressure and the oil just seeking every possible way out.

The leaks have stopped as far as I can see, haven't been a drop yet actually but the oil has gone from being at MAX to almost in the middle, so 0,5dl-ish has been lost either to dripping or burning.

Will this need an engine tear down to replace gaskets? I fear the head cylinder gasket has blown but no coolant can be seen leaking.

Really need help here boys, have no clue as to what to do. They only agreed to pay for a new clutch cable and my insurance is ripping me off on this one.

bogbasic

Re: Potential mayor damage to engine - really need help

Post by bogbasic » 15 Jul 2022 02:38 am

Hello, I am so sorry to hear about that. Did they have the car at a steep angle? Maybe there is oil in the clutch?
1988 340 1.4 GL, 218k, 5 door (Grey Bess). Gone to CBA.
1991 340 1.7 GL, 64k, 5 door, petrol blue (Deep Blue).
1988 360 2.0 GLE, 140k, 5 door, ocean blue metallic (Blue Bess).
1989 340 1.7 GL, 108k, 3 door (Red Ness).
More info here!

fatuglypaapa1

Post by fatuglypaapa1 » 16 Jul 2022 04:34 am

Does not seem to be oil in the clutch.

After having looked more at the car Ive just come to the conclusion that they properly overworked the engine.

Before handing it in the oil looked new, as I just changed it. Now it is dark and full of soot.

I have not seen any more oil come out since that day. Coolant levels are the same as well.

Seems that oil was pushed out wherever it could be pushed out, pretty much all hoses and O-rings. I have kept my eye on these locations for any leakage and it is difficult to tell if it is leaking or not but the oil level has been the same after each drive and no spots on the ground.

I am praying to god right now that the only damage they did was to the clutch cable, and luckily enough they have bought a new one for me. How they managed to destroy this is beyond me as it had no signs of wear before hand sm2 .

If I am unlucky I will need to change some O-rings and perhaps some tubing.

However, if I am really unlucky I will need a whole new distributor and change a cylinder head gasket. Cant do anything but just keep driving and checking everything. The whole ordeal just got me riled up as they swore and promised they would take care of the car after I showed them how to drive it and told them to watch out for overheating it due to broken temp gauge. All the time I spent into the car so it would run without problems only to be ruined by a southerner who thinks it is a good idea to hit the revlimiter in first and second gear for an entire day.

Still really odd tho that the clutch acted like it did the first day, and after a night it was back to normal to never get bad again. Sorry for the long post but I feel like I have to vent as all my mates are just telling me its due to me owning a shitty 340 sm2

bogbasic

Post by bogbasic » 16 Jul 2022 01:37 pm

I am so sorry to hear of all these issues. I am glad the car is better and hope that the new clutch cable sorts the problem. Any idea of the type of filming they were doing would be useful, e.g. street, country lanes, rolling road even maybe ? ? I have read that film work is essentially guaranteed to cause damage, which is probably why your insurance Co. is being a pain. I think most classic policies exclude wedding use, too. I remember being surprised by all these exclusions when I started driving classics about 35 years ago, but I can understand it now!! I was also told that whenever there's a track day at a race course, the insurance companies film all the cars taking part as someone can enter with a n x £100,000 Ferrari, write it off and then claim it was damaged in a road accident. People have been caught faking accidents for this purpose.
1988 340 1.4 GL, 218k, 5 door (Grey Bess). Gone to CBA.
1991 340 1.7 GL, 64k, 5 door, petrol blue (Deep Blue).
1988 360 2.0 GLE, 140k, 5 door, ocean blue metallic (Blue Bess).
1989 340 1.7 GL, 108k, 3 door (Red Ness).
More info here!

TasMan

Post by TasMan » 17 Jul 2022 11:09 am

Sad to hear of this potential damage to your car.
Sounds like they have been revving the engine severely and with the clutch cable damaged, maybe abusing the clutch doing spins etc.
Keep us posted with your findings, all the best.
1987 360 GLT

fatuglypaapa1

Post by fatuglypaapa1 » 21 Jul 2022 03:23 pm

bogbasic wrote:
16 Jul 2022 01:37 pm
I am so sorry to hear of all these issues. I am glad the car is better and hope that the new clutch cable sorts the problem. Any idea of the type of filming they were doing would be useful, e.g. street, country lanes, rolling road even maybe ? ? I have read that film work is essentially guaranteed to cause damage, which is probably why your insurance Co. is being a pain. I think most classic policies exclude wedding use, too. I remember being surprised by all these exclusions when I started driving classics about 35 years ago, but I can understand it now!! I was also told that whenever there's a track day at a race course, the insurance companies film all the cars taking part as someone can enter with a n x £100,000 Ferrari, write it off and then claim it was damaged in a road accident. People have been caught faking accidents for this purpose.
You won't like what I'm typing now. But the movie is called "The last race" and it was filmed on an old abandoned air strip that is 5km long. They def did some racing stuff with it.

Again updating to say that no further problems have been found than the clutch cable, and the new one has arrived but I will wait on changing.

Still no oil leak anywhere, the o-ring in the distributor seems fine and so does all other parts. Can only tell the rest by opening up the engine which I wont do.

fatuglypaapa1

Post by fatuglypaapa1 » 21 Jul 2022 06:00 pm

Man I think I am getting into this whole mechanic thing. Car battery started hissing as I was letting engine heat after cleaning the cooling system and etc.

I remembered that the old battery did the same thing before it spewed acid (boiling battery). I changed that one because I thought it was old and broken, the new one was bought weeks ago. Measured voltage off and on. Noticed the voltage from the generator was starting at 17 volts and went up to above 20v so I instantly knew the volt regulator was broken.

Took the volt regulator from a used generator I had, installed it and it fixed the problem instantly. Now getting stable 14.7 volts-ish. Only problem was that the new regulator is 12v instead of 14v like the one that was installed. But man if you asked me to do this 5 months ago I would have thought it had no fuel or something 340pw