360 Idle solenoid valve pics inside. Help please.

B14, B172, B19/200, D16 engine, ignition, cooling, fuel & exhaust system, gearbox, variomatic, final drive... | Tuning: engine swaps, welded diff, clutch upgrades...
NO parts requests here, please use our V3M BUY & SELL corner
OapEM

360 Idle solenoid valve pics inside. Help please.

Post by OapEM » 17 Nov 2009 12:42 pm

I have a few niggly problems at the minute with the car. Nothing half a day won't sort out though.

Two in particular concern and/or annoy me though!

The first is a whirring from the torque tube when the clutch is disengaged. This is pretty loud and makes the car sound like some kind of enviromentally friendly electric thing. It becomes more apparent with speed.. :/ I've been advised it may be the thrust bearing or engine-torque tube bearings which makes sense I suppose, but damn if it isn't pissing me off! :lol:
The noise has only made itself known since I removed the diff the second time and fitted a Volvo diff-g'box gasket and one of Macs kits for the diff cover. Strange that it should be heard now? I'm wondering if the OEM gasket is too thin maybe? Also, I just remembered, one of the grommets wasn't refitted to the torque tube. I guess some mechanical sound could be escaping, but surely that would be minimal? - I have been reading up on whining torque tubes on a Porsche site and they say tube bearings at fault too.

The second is equally strange but not as annoying (I can make a tune with this one) When travelling at >50/60mph (usually in 5th but I doubt it matters) I can hear a high pitched whistling from the engine. The pitch changes with a touch more revs and add a bit more and it goes completely. To make it disappear you have to press the accelerator a little harder than required though, so the noise always returns as soon as I slow.
My guess is the carb is causing it, as it seems to be related to RPM/air intake. Also, the noise seems to be just behind the bulkhead.

Short of lifting the rear end on axle stands with the engine running and engaging 5th gear I do not know how to spot/solve the problem.
AFAIK there are no loose/split hoses or any damage etc. There is the 'valve' on the inner wing which has something to do with the carb. This was never connected though, I asked about it on here last year and didn't get much info.

Any ideas people?
Much appreciated, Liam.
Last edited by OapEM on 26 Nov 2009 04:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Get rich or die tryin'!

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: Annoying noises! mk2 360

Post by volvosneverdie » 17 Nov 2009 01:56 pm

Columbo wrote:Just one more thing ma'am, have you tried just preessing the accelerator a little harder where ever you drive? its just a thought ma'am.

Ronnie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Ronnie » 17 Nov 2009 06:22 pm

OapEM wrote:The first is a whirring from the torque tube when the clutch is disengaged. This is pretty loud and makes the car sound like some kind of enviromentally friendly electric thing. It becomes more apparent with speed.. :/ I've been advised it may be the thrust bearing or engine-torque tube bearings which makes sense I suppose, but damn if it isn't pissing me off! :lol:
All 3 of my 360's did this to some extent - and I quickly stopped worrying about it. Sounds like yours is a bit worse if it becomes more apparent with engine speed, I've generally only heard it on idle.
'85 360GLT Mk2 3 Door B19E - SOLD
'94 L400 Mitsubishi Delica LWB

http://www.filterfeeder.eu

SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by SteveP » 17 Nov 2009 07:23 pm

Sounds very much like a thrust bearing sound under them circumstances, heard a couple of cars do it when I went to look at some 360's but neither of mine did it - must've been lucky!
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

OapEM

Post by OapEM » 17 Nov 2009 11:22 pm

Cheers gents. 340pw I much prefered the car withouth this character trait!
Get rich or die tryin'!

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 18 Nov 2009 10:53 pm

OapEM wrote: The first is a whirring from the torque tube when the clutch is disengaged. This is pretty loud and makes the car sound like some kind of enviromentally friendly electric thing. It becomes more apparent with speed.. :/ I've been advised it may be the thrust bearing or engine-torque tube bearings which makes sense I suppose, but damn if it isn't pissing me off! :lol:
The noise has only made itself known since I removed the diff the second time and fitted a Volvo diff-g'box gasket and one of Macs kits for the diff cover. Strange that it should be heard now? I'm wondering if the OEM gasket is too thin maybe? Also, I just remembered, one of the grommets wasn't refitted to the torque tube. I guess some mechanical sound could be escaping, but surely that would be minimal? - I have been reading up on whining torque tubes on a Porsche site and they say tube bearings at fault too.
there is a minimum thickness specified to that gasket in the manual; that is more to make it functional as a proper seal than in forcing the prime gears into a certain position, only joint affected by this is a spline connection from the gearbox to the differential crownwheel, in other words; this can't be causing it.
one of the grommets missing can get extra moisture into the tube that could affect the bearings; those run on engine rpm all the wey to the redline, so if those bearings run dry or get attacked by mother nature yes they will start making noise.

remember that noise comes first, if you drive around with it long enough the axle in the tube will get enough play to start resonating making it even more annoying.

OapEM wrote: The second is equally strange but not as annoying (I can make a tune with this one) When travelling at >50/60mph (usually in 5th but I doubt it matters) I can hear a high pitched whistling from the engine. The pitch changes with a touch more revs and add a bit more and it goes completely. To make it disappear you have to press the accelerator a little harder than required though, so the noise always returns as soon as I slow.
My guess is the carb is causing it, as it seems to be related to RPM/air intake. Also, the noise seems to be just behind the bulkhead.
is that noise also pressent at idle?
OapEM wrote:There is the 'valve' on the inner wing which has something to do with the carb. This was never connected though
if we are talking about the same thing, this is the idle solenoid "controller", the box has an input RPM signal and a ground signal for no throttle; as soon as you are above 1800 rpm and you let go of the throttle, the box switches the idle solenoid off making the engine run a slightly more economic. as soon as one of these 2 conditions are broken; it swithes the idle solenoid back on.

OapEM

Post by OapEM » 19 Nov 2009 01:35 pm

Volvodspec, cheers for the replies mate. I will be giving the car a good going over this weekend so I will source the sound of the first noise. As for the second, whistling noise. It is only present when moving, and I have only ever noticed it at more than 50mph which is strange.

I will try and get a pic of the idle solenoid that you mention. The part I mean is bolted to the chassis leg on the inlet side.
Do you have a pic of where the pipes should connect to on this? IIRC there is 3.
Fixing this could help a great deal too I guess!

Thanks mate, Liam.
Get rich or die tryin'!

Ride_on

Post by Ride_on » 20 Nov 2009 12:57 am

If the rear diff/gearbox gasket is too thick the gearbox tends to whine when you slow down on the gearbox in 2nd and first. It will not affect tickover in neutral.
1980 345 DL_______1987 360 GLE (project car restored to GLT spec and B230FT'd)
1984 360 GLT______1987 360 GLT
1983 360 GLS______1989 360 GLE
1985 340 GL_______1986 340 1.4
1985 360 GLS______1995 940 SE 2.3 Turbo Estate (daily)
1987 340 GL 1.7

OapEM

Post by OapEM » 23 Nov 2009 12:06 am

Cheers Ride_on.

I've done a good few jobs on the car this weekend and I can now 100% confirm the whining is coming from the torque tube. As for the whistling when on the move, hopefully I shall have an aswer for that too as I am taking the car to an old skool krypton tuning place tomorrow to have the carb setup/checked over.

See below for another head scratcher...

How's this for a list of annoying BS lol (copied from the reminder list on my desktop)

Main beam (change stalk and solder earth) DONE
Replace rear brake pipe DONE [flattened from loose back box lol]
Align headlamps DONE [these have only been (seriously) on the piss since I got the car!]
Fit new back box rubbers DONE
Fit choke cable clip DONE [Mine snapped last year - Ben, the mole grips are no more!]
Refit airbox DONE
Oil leak (check fuel pump) DONE [Less than 1 year old pump had cracked]
Clean block
Sort washer jet DONE
Unblock headlamp washer pipe behind bumper DONE
Change coolant DONE
Paint inner arches where 14's have rubbed on lock
Paint brakes
Fit fuel filter DONE
Set idle
Refit grommet in torque tube DONE
80/90w in front shocks
Wiper stalk (worn out - change) DONE [was donor part, turns out I didn't need it in the 1st place]
Mod door pins
Fit alarm
Service @ 67,400 (oil, filters etc) DONE

Whirring when clutch disengaged
Whistling on partial throttle when driving (air leak?)
Brakes sticking/squealing DONE
Squeak from O/S/F
Door mirror rattle
Door rod rattle
Cracked front number plate
Leaning to RHS - lights??

Broken/wanted bits:
RV mirror
Ash tray
mk1/2 tail light

Before yesterday, I had no main beam, piss poor headlight beam pattern, no intermittent wipe, a back box that twatted the valance/axle, a crushed rear brake pipe and mole grips holding my choke cable on. :lol: These little jobs have a habit of catching up with you!
Feels like a different car now. :roll: :lol:

I thought the car appeared to be leaning to the RHS, but everything is as it should be underneath, blocks are tight, new LR 90 shocks, air pressure/tyre size/profile etc is all correct so it had me wondering what it could be. Then I noticed this:
Excuse the huge/crap quality pic.
Ignore the non matching lights - the mk2 light is sitting too low it seems, it is as good as touching the top of the bumper. The mk3 has a huge gap at the bottom. As we know, they can only be adjusted for height on the inside (nut and bracket) and the outsides of them are fixed in position as the bolt holes are circular.
Short of elongating the holes I don't know how to sort this out.
I need to measure the car to see if it's possibly the bumper at fault. Can't see it though.

Advice and opinion from those in the V300 know is greatly appreciated.
I'm all car'd out, having stripped, rebuilt, stripped and then rebuilt a mazda 323 GT-R yesterday to replace a faulty oil pump I'm in no kind of mechanical mood right now lol! 340pw
Get rich or die tryin'!

340GLT
*** V3M DONOR ***

Re: 360 wonky tail lights :/ Post edited so now in wrong forum

Post by 340GLT » 23 Nov 2009 01:41 am

Measure the two clusters are the mk2 ones taller? They look it as the gap between quarter is roughly the same.
Adam
F559 LFE - 340R 2.0 16v
C208 CTR - 340 1.8 16v
D300 LBO - 360 GLT 3 Door Turbo project!! (and restoration)
F706 RBX - 350R in process!!!

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 23 Nov 2009 07:48 am

Ah maaaan. Ledgendary mole-grip 'bodge expires.
A sad day.

Good working man.
Looks like you've put some propper shifts in.

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 23 Nov 2009 09:46 am

340GLT wrote:Measure the two clusters are the mk2 ones taller? They look it as the gap between quarter is roughly the same.
Adam
smaller

OapEM

Post by OapEM » 23 Nov 2009 12:25 pm

Will measure them. I'm almost certain they are the same size though, as my hybrid tail lights fit OK a few days ago lol.

Oh yeah, the main beam has gone off AGAIN! MOT time this week too.... I wonder if the relay is at fault, it is in the fuse box isn't it?
Get rich or die tryin'!

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 23 Nov 2009 12:53 pm

yep, large silver one

lights are different though, i have a rear deflectorplate and was trying to get it fitted on a car with new lights and ended up dissapointed :lol:

kds19

Post by kds19 » 23 Nov 2009 10:25 pm

my 340 also makes the strange whi ning driving bulkhead noise
and my car also does it while idling but i cant see it being a carb air leak as it has just had new carb gaskets
can anyone shed any light on this?
cheers
kev
85 360 GLT drift beast
clutch kicks ahoy!!!!
"volvosneverdie wrote: Fred Dibnah was running after me on the scuttling legs of a crab. in a tophat."