Barn find

Put here your advertisements to sell cars and parts
Welham101

Barn find

Post by Welham101 » 19 Jun 2015 02:19 pm

Hi Guys, I'm new to the forum and site but used to have an 88 340GL when I was 18 which I loved and always wanted another. I have just been offered an 88 360GLE which has been in a barn for 12 years untouched. Before I move it what should I do to try and avoid damage. For instance, put redex down the spark plug holes? Fresh petrol and a new battery obviously. Any advice would be appreciated as I would like to get her back on the road if it doesnt need too much.

CBA

Re: Barn find

Post by CBA » 10 Jul 2015 04:11 am

A LOT.

Change/Replace:
Axle greasing - check the manual and do the 60,000 mile lube job.

Oil, coolant, probably fanbelt, definitely cambelt. You might be lucky and have most of the hydraulics work - best to change the brake fluid and then stress test the brakes in a safe area and see if the ancient seals/flexis fail or not - if fluid comes out of it, or it bulges or doesnt work -> replace/repair it.

Probably need a master cylinder for brake or clutch (is it hydraulic clutch?) but they are resilient.

Tyres are toast, replace.

Fuel upto 10 years will 'work', over 10 years will probably damage the engine (it 'shortens' and prone to detonation which is badddd) expecially in the early high compression engines- it could blow the head off. sm2 Drain it.

Soak the carb in carb cleaner, douse the thing. Take off dizzy cap and clean up in there. remove the plugs and gap+clean them.

No particular order - just do ALL the engine things before cranking it and it will probably go first time.

Cambelt is a doddle on this engine :mrgreen: - but check the tensioner and idlers turn smoothly and silently :!:

CBA

Re: Barn find

Post by CBA » 02 Aug 2015 12:19 am

If you havent fixed it yet I'll buy it off you for good price. :idea: