Where to go for old parts?

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
min

Where to go for old parts?

Post by min » 30 Sep 2010 11:04 pm

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but would like to be cheeky and jump straight in to ask a question about parts. (Oh, I should say... I've just joined another Volvo forum too, where I have posted this same message. I hope this is OK?).

Anyway... I've just bought a (very cheap) 1988 340 GLE; I've always wanted a Volvo, but could never afford one until this bargain came along. However... it's an MoT failure. My garage man says the parts that it failed on are no longer available. He will fit the parts if I can source them - and here is my problem: where can I/should I go? Are there any recommended suppliers? Any tips on where to go/web sites to visit?

These are what I need:

[ ] MacPherson struts and support bearings
[ ] Handbrake ratchet mechanism
[ ] Driver's door handle and mechanism

Is there a tried-and-tested alternative to the MacPhersons if I can't find secondhand ones?

Thanks. - Diana.

tommysb

Re: Where to go for old parts?

Post by tommysb » 01 Oct 2010 11:26 am

Hi Diana,

Welcome to the forum.

McPherson Strut is the front suspension strut. It's not a 'Brand' of strut, but more a 'type' of strut. You will have to use Volvo struts.

All the parts can be sourced from here(the parts wanted section) a breaker's yard (ring some up from the Yellow pages).

I dunno what garage rates are around your area - but I'd imagine that by the time you've bought all the parts and added a few hours labour you could be looking at a few hundered pounds.... Just keep in mind that if you're not doing the repairs yourself that it MIGHT be cheaper to buy a 340 with a year's MOT from someone on these boards.

Sorry I'm just in a situation where I've poured a lot of money into a 'cheap' car and it's worked out not 'cheap' in the end! Haha.

However if the rest of the car is solid then it's probably worth putting the cash in. I may even have a drivers door handle knocking about on a car I was about to scrap.

min

Post by min » 01 Oct 2010 12:45 pm

Hi, thanks for this. I'll have to have a think. Maybe I acted too quickly when I saw the 340 up for sale! Still, if it comes down to it I could always just sell it as-is (as scrap?) and not lose too much money.
Thanks again - Diana

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 01 Oct 2010 12:52 pm

All the parts you mentioned crop up on ebay, its just a case of waiting and hunting.
Or try Europarts.

Itd be a shame to scrap it if its a good clean shell.

How about popping some pics up?

Oh and welcome. :D

MCHUDD
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MCHUDD » 01 Oct 2010 02:49 pm

Hi mate and welcome.
I have a good hand brake lever if thats the part you need.
If your car has a good solid shell,it might be worth spending a few quid on it.
Our cars last a long time.The youngest 300 is now nearly 20 years old,the oldest 34.
If your shell is solid, you should get maney happy years out of it.
Cheers Mark. sm4

Ride_on

Post by Ride_on » 01 Oct 2010 06:08 pm

It would be unusual to need a complete set of struts and support bearing. Are you sure you don't just need shocks and bearings? Really they need to be stripped down to find out what's needed. Shocks are easily available and you should buy new (or nearly new). If its just the spring cups, new ones can be welded on cheaply. If they think you need bearings, you might need the top spring plate aswell or instead. I have some parts here in N.Ireland, the smaller ones (bearings, plates etc) could be posted. The struts do get a hard life so 2nd hand parts should be suspected, outright replacement may lead to other problems unless you know the history of the parts.

Handbrake, again unusual to need this but plenty available from people breaking cars.

Drivers door handle, a common breakage, but still should be easy enough to find spares on here. Might be possible to weld the aluminium, but I've never tried.

You might want a second opinion on the requirements, you really need a trustworthy mechanic, most here DIY to some degree at least.

The real killer is chassis rust, on the seams and sills, small visible patches will be large ones once uncovered. As many have said if you have a solid chassis repairs are nearly always worthwhile along with rustproofing (internal wax injection).
1980 345 DL_______1987 360 GLE (project car restored to GLT spec and B230FT'd)
1984 360 GLT______1987 360 GLT
1983 360 GLS______1989 360 GLE
1985 340 GL_______1986 340 1.4
1985 360 GLS______1995 940 SE 2.3 Turbo Estate (daily)
1987 340 GL 1.7

dubweiser666

Post by dubweiser666 » 03 Oct 2010 11:28 am

I found these guy's very helpful, best to phone them, e-mail a photo of parts you need!

http://www.classicvolvoparts.co.uk/
Don't own a Volvo atm, might be looking another?
1988 Volvo 340GL, 1.7, 3 Door Hatch (SOLD 2014)
1990 Volvo 340LE, 1.4, 5 Door Hatch (SOLD 2013)

cabbage340

Post by cabbage340 » 31 Oct 2010 09:16 am

Google findapart the site will post to a number of breakers and they will e-mail you back - postage can high, and you need to be sure you are getting the right bits, but its relly useful when stuck
Volvo 340 - 'G' 1990 (No.1)
Volvo 340 - 'F' 1989 (No. 2)