Whats the best/fastest car you've beaten in your 300???

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
Speedy88

Re: Whats the best/fastest car you've beaten in your 300???

Post by Speedy88 » 19 May 2011 11:09 pm

Stupidly aggressive driver in a Jag XF cut me off. On dual carriageway I kept up with him from roundabout up to 110 (on my private dual carriageway :oops: ) But realised anger and speed usually lead to crashes so eased off. Was proud that she was still pulling though.

I actually have this on video somewhere...
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 19 May 2011 11:14 pm

2004 Merc SLK 200 - everyday down a twisty country road on my way to college. if i'm behind they cant get away from me, if i'm infront they soon dissapear out the rear view nevero be seen again... till the next morning haha
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'87 760 TDI (D24TIC) - sold
'04 V40 D sport (F9Q, decat, Remapped, launch control)
'89 740 SE (b230ft, 12psi, V-cam, headwork, 'remapped', banded steels)
'86 340 DL 1.4

germ
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by germ » 20 May 2011 02:15 am

a memorable one for me was a merc 190 down a french bumpy road was just on the point of overtaking just over the brow of a hill and my prop shaft came loose in excess of 80-90 mph, scary horrible noise + swearing and embarrassment and a lovely tow home from a french mechanic that had no idea how 300's are laid out, i said the gearbox is at the back! and he still ran the engine to try and ruin it.. it was a simple fix i should of fixed it road side but did it at home - this is what happens if the prop is not as far back as possible.

beaten a 318i just! and many a shopping toy car, but a corsa 1.2sxi totally put me to shame on the carriage way from stevenage to hitchin! and yet my mates 1.4sri couldn't keep up on the same road from the traffic lights. suspect driver skill to some extend though!
Volvo 340 Image 1988

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 20 May 2011 01:19 pm

Anyone happened to meet a horsie on b-road?

They seem to have a video about it, but where is high revving, I never saw much past 3000?:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNzmvVan35I
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 » 20 May 2011 01:34 pm

I'm usually good around people on horseback but I have met many wild horses down in the forest. Usually when doing stupid things at night. I don't drive there at night anymore because they are a bit dim. Stand in the middle of the road etc. Usually leave a nice number 11 up to about 4 feet from the horse, it still doesn't move :lol:
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

L14MNP

Post by L14MNP » 20 May 2011 01:36 pm

^Yep jtbo!
I was doing 60-70 mph on a national speed limit B road (60 mph) once in my Nissan. I came to the crest of a hill that drops steeply on the other side and is good for 'getting air' or just generally dicking about, only to find a horse and rider on my side at the bottom of the dip and a combine harvester with a few cars behind it about to trundle up the bank on the other side. No time to really brake, I just kept my foot in and probably closed my eyes lol.

Made it, without throwing the rider off or clipping anything. The horse wasn't best pleased though. My thoughts? Pay some road tax. :lol:

BTW, your link won't load for me dude.
STREETO WITHDRAWL
INTO BURNOUTSsince1982

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 20 May 2011 02:22 pm

L14MNP wrote: My thoughts? Pay some road tax. :lol:
And pull into a lay-by for a sh!t!

Thats the worst kind of littering!

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 20 May 2011 02:50 pm

L14MNP wrote: BTW, your link won't load for me dude.
That is because link checks and they determined you as hopeless, so not worth to waste a bandwidth :lol:

It works fine, but if you are at work/school, they might have blocked youtube off.

You have probably seen in from telly though, it is one of those TH!NK campaign videos (probably paid from your tax money), horse road safety thing, which for me looks like not so well thought out/carried out.

I think this must be one of the silliest ones, all of those events would happen without speeding, if granny drives 30 at 60 limit road and one overtakes granny at 50, still dog can appear from nowhere and all such would happen, only those in cars would have better chances, but I guess I'm missing a point again :lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foE3ZdVgnEk

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 20 May 2011 02:56 pm

^ Fake, you can see the air cannon fire when the car flips. :lol:

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » 20 May 2011 09:33 pm

Doesn't the highway code say to hit the animal rather than make a dangerous braking/swerving manouver? I'm probably talking BS though :lol:

I'm only a green light warrior, as far as i'm concerned if i "do" them off the line and up to the NSL (sometimes a bit more) i class that as a win.

A bodykitted but nice looking new 350z got a suprise as i stayed with him up to *** then my crap gear ratio meant he pulled away. At the lights he did give me the thumbs upthough as i turned off the other way.

Lexus GS300 driven by a business man, next set of lights "bloody hell thats quick, you don't expect it from a Volvo"

Mini Cooper (Non S) + canon fodder

S2000 most recently, about two weeks ago, poser boy with roof down and shades on. Lights go green, boom, both trying hard i get the edge in second (yeah wtf?), then pull ahead, by 4th he had the legs on me.
89 3dr 340DL in Battleship grey with Ultralights and Williams power
Whats the matter with the car i'm driving can't you tell that it's out of style?

CBA

Post by CBA » 20 May 2011 10:03 pm

they are quick off the mark.. think it just us old schoolers actually know how to use the gears and clutch - even 25 year-old gears and clutch :lol:

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 02 Jun 2011 10:11 am

last night was fun, a M3 (the 95-98 saloon model) got next to me in my 340Turbo and we both braked for a red light just before we came to a stop the lights went green and we both floored it; it was head to head and to my own surprise i was even slightly quicker up to 60mph, he caught up on me after that and overtook me but couldn't leave me far behind up to 120mph. i got a big thumbs up from the guy at the next set of lights and we had a open bonnet chat after that, the guy was quite impressed with what the 1.4 could do :mrgreen:

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 02 Jun 2011 01:29 pm

I was naughty, ok it was not in 300, but story is like this:

There was traffic lights, left lane ends after the lights, so some think they can 'get first' by taking left lane (in UK that would be right lane that ends), but so it happens that I happened to be on right lane, I see he nudges and as I did knew lights from memory, waited until those turning got yellow which I could see from reflection from traffic sign, when they get red instantly lights I was stopped at get green, so I did open it up, bit of wheel spin at first, few feets at 2nd and then tossed it to neutral as I was already bit past legal limit, I always stop at speed limit as it is the law we all should obey more or less.

I did see that cars behind me had moved half length of car and one trying to get 'first' had managed to move about car length at that time, that is tuned turbo diesel for you :lol:

There is roundabout just some 300 meters from that place, where everyone have to wait anyway, so there is absolutely no point trying to overtake in such place, but they do come really really quick on tail around mid way to roudabout, doing a lot more than speedlimit, it is silly, stupid, idiotic, but that is the way most drive around here.

My french crap is not quick, but there is no standard 300 series car that would be match for it, that has to be given to 'modern' tech.