My volvo 340 valver

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
yetis340

Re: My volvo 340 valver

Post by yetis340 » 05 Apr 2011 10:10 pm

na i wish i took it to a local metal place which i found out a old friend worked there which he did for a good price:)

can you lay any help on the speed sensor and where the wire goes from the ecu to the starter as i dont wanna fry the ecu lol if i connect it wrong to starter?

340 been of the road for a bit of tlc then? southhampton nice 2 hour drive lol

valman

Post by valman » 06 Apr 2011 01:48 am

good to see my car going to a good home! good luck with it
ImageImage

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 06 Apr 2011 11:22 am

Valmen will you bring a 300 to wales? When u move join www.midwalesmodified.co.uk there is at least 2 300 owners and another memmber is looking for one

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » 06 Apr 2011 04:27 pm

When the F7's go they like to do it properly :lol:
Mine was bought with (an unknown) broken cambelt and near enough 16 bent valves, but Adam rebuilt it for me so all was well.

The speed sensor is from a 400 series, it sits it the back of the rev counter with two wires coming from it, sorry i can't be much more help than that.

Keep up the good work though, lloks like you'll have it on the road soon enough.
89 3dr 340DL in Battleship grey with Ultralights and Williams power
Whats the matter with the car i'm driving can't you tell that it's out of style?

yetis340

Post by yetis340 » 07 Apr 2011 06:16 am

well i have spent a couple more hours working the wiring out so i think i know what will go where :) so all i have to do is wait for the engine to be built by me and put in the volvo by me lol thanks for the tips peeps helps a lot :)

so after getting back from getting my mullet cut lol i thought id finish off stripping the engine as it has to be done anyway

but whilst stripping the engine i came across this :shock:

no worries though ill get a new one :D

whilst working on the engine i thought i would take one off the big end caps off to look at the bearing which i can say is a ok :D so im happy:)

its no that bad at all as the picture made the lines a lot worse than it actually is so im not worries :D

well thats as far as i got other than finding these wires i the 340 which i have no clue to where they go lol there circled in yellow

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » 07 Apr 2011 02:39 pm

For peace of mind wouldn't it be worth changing the bearings anyway as you've gone to the hassle of stripping it down to check. The score marks are only small but they are still marked. Just think it would be a shame to go to all that hassle only for it to die coz the bearings weren't changed when the chance was there.
Whats the matter with the car i'm driving can't you tell that it's out of style?

yetis340

Post by yetis340 » 07 Apr 2011 05:46 pm

yea i know but i dont have the funds to do that i know it will probably come back to kick me in the arse but i just afford it right now as im hoping the car will be better mpg than my 200sx s13 which is doing 20mpg atm lol if that lol so i would climb out of the over draft lol

magnumpi

Post by magnumpi » 07 Apr 2011 06:02 pm

Fully understood, petrol prices aren't even slighty amusing anymore!

My fuel gauge doesn't work, but with my F7R when put petrol in (usually £30-36) i'll get 180miles out of the tank happily, i don't fancy pushing my luck much futher as i reckon thats as good as empty. Wierdly i find i'll always get the same amount of fuel in wether i just drive normaly round the shops etc or giving it a thorough thrashing :D .

volvodspec

Post by volvodspec » 07 Apr 2011 06:29 pm

yellow: watertemp sender
red/blue: idle solenoid (this is a 8A feed that switches on when the ignition is on)
black: ground signal, this is part of the fuelcutoff system won't be any use on your conversion.

nice project and progress, i'm following this one :D

yetis340

Post by yetis340 » 08 Apr 2011 09:40 pm

That's skews good to know :)

Cheers for that all I need us the temp sensor wire :D

yetis340

Post by yetis340 » 09 Apr 2011 07:39 pm

well friday came and i finished work at 2 good but the shift work sucks lol but i did i spend thursday collect the bits i.e gaskets etc

i trimmed the plastic baffle plate in the bottom end so it would take the volvo sump and proceeded to fit it.

then turned it round, gave it a clean,blowed out the holes with compressed air and fitted the new head gasket.

picked up the freshly skimmed head and fitted it to the block with new head bolts all torqued up to specifications.it was all the head needed as it was pressure tested. as my saying goes "if it ain't broke don't touch" :D

then fitted the camshafts in all torqued up,fitted the cambelt and camebelt cover along with the inlet and fuel rail then that was that for friday as it was 8pm and the sun was vanashing lol

Friday came and it was time to take then old lump out:D

so the engine was out after couple of hours fooking around with all the niggly bits.
my engine i had built had engine mounts already so i jumped in and took the ones that where there.

i started to prep the valver lump for fitting which started with a new flywheel crank shaft seal as the old one was leaking when i bought the engine and fitted the spigot bearing which i sourced :) oh and a nice shiny new clutch too :D

fitted the bell housing which took a while as i didnt have the bolts with it so i was back and forth between shops until i got what i needed lol but i sorted it in the end :mrgreen:

now it was time to fit the engine which i thought would be easy peasy but boy was i wrong lol as trying the line the prop and all the engine mounts was the biggest pain lol took couple of attemps but its there and looking good sm4

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 09 Apr 2011 08:22 pm

nice work dude. working fast! :wink:

jon-ovlov

Post by jon-ovlov » 09 Apr 2011 10:15 pm

What he said! Wish i could do mine that fast! :lol: nice work, should be doing mine next week, cant wait to start finally. How'd you get on with the loom in the end?
Speedy88 wrote: Leave choke on, idling obnoxiously until neighbours peer out windows at the noisy exhaust
Give neighbours thumbs up
Rev engine to 7K
Exit street sideways
Win at life.

yetis340

Post by yetis340 » 10 Apr 2011 07:29 pm

cheers guys but it will be slow for a week now as the inlet is right in the way of the rad and i havnt even fitted the throttle body yet so look like i will have to get it modified again but will have to wait a week as my friend who did it is in spain for a week now sm2

well i found the simplified wiring diagram off here which was a great help but a few things wernt labled and a speed sensor wasnt included in the diagram.but i have added them to the drawing and worked out what it all does now.

the wiring side as you saw i started on the wiring but gave up as it was a pain and my mother didn't appreciate it being on the living room floor lol so my plan is to cut it at the ecu plug and plug everything in with the wiring as i can make it to suit the engine and lengthen it or shorten it if need be and then rewire it to the plug.

im doing it this way as its going to be a lot easier well for me anyway lol i will post up the diagram if it works though :D

Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 » 11 Apr 2011 10:26 am

Good work. And kudos on the flipped manifold, you won't regret that 8)
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project