"first" snow of the year

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
jtbo

Re: "first" snow of the year

Post by jtbo » 07 Dec 2011 09:11 am

tim-andre wrote:only places i notice slippery roads are on small roads, bigger ones i dont notice anything

ive heard about the continental viking, they are pretty good from what ive heard :D

kinda shock to was when i got home there was no snow outside my door, and half an hour later when i let out my cat it was white :lol:
Sneaky that white stuff :shock: :lol:

I live on such rural area that there is no big road within 60km, we have only these narrow, twisty contry roads, one day there was snow and ice on road, but even when trying I could not get wheels to slip, Michelin MXT summer tire seem to be working rather well.
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 07 Dec 2011 04:33 pm

oh yes, found that out on my way to work, skidding through corners wasnt any problem, but turning in to another road was a problem, especially when you dont see it, so i ended up in a ditch, luckily i was going 3 km/h or something so no damages on the car or me :lol: but stood there for 45 mins without anyone passing helping me, wich was really anoying
yes, it snowed again tonight, about 10 cm im guessing

i live about 2 km from the E6, but its quite rural there too
today i wasnt even trying and my car slipped, i expected it to do it, so alot of fun :lol:
but i have crappy studded tires, got to get some new ones soon
War isnt about who is right, but who is left

mat_91

Post by mat_91 » 07 Dec 2011 10:00 pm

these studded tyres you lot use are they rubber studded so you can still use them on non icey roads

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 07 Dec 2011 10:13 pm

Studs have hard metal core and alloy surrounding, they are shot into tire's rubber with special gun.

I don't know if image is much helpful, but here:

Perfectly illegal in UK and many other countries, I believe.

We have those in bicycles too, had once similar like these, was great, smooth ice that had water on top of it and I could drive like it would of been summer :P :

Stud in whole looks something like this:

mat_91

Post by mat_91 » 07 Dec 2011 10:21 pm

oh right i knew they was illegal over here when the volvo stops i just jump in range rover haha nothing stops that
and thanks for the info was just interested

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 07 Dec 2011 11:43 pm

the studs are hell to get out btw, and quite dangerous, might poke an eye or two out :lol:
why are they illegal?

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 08 Dec 2011 08:37 am

tim-andre wrote:the studs are hell to get out btw, and quite dangerous, might poke an eye or two out :lol:
why are they illegal?
They are quite easy to take out really, you just need small screwdriver, push it in then kind of nudge it under the base of stud, then twist a bit and they come off cleanly without drama.

Or then get car stuck into mud and use bricks and planks, then get bit of wheelspin and most of them drop dead immediately, damn tires were almost new still :(

Problem here is that they put so much salt on most roads that studs wear from one side which makes them then cut after a while, so you are left good amount of thread but no studs, which makes tires unusable. That is also one of the reason I try to seek smaller roads where they don't put salt on. With good tires and sensible driving there is no really much difference in driving if there is snow and ice or wet salty tarmac under the tires.

At some countries studs are illegal because of their higher wearing of roads and that in those countries they try to make artificial autumn weather to whole winter by salting the road so heavily, but it really is worse than dark autumn as windscreen is always dirty no matter how much one cleans it, also everything is constantly wet and rather black, ice is much better, there you can at least see and it is no problem to adjust driving to conditions then.
Anyway in such places where studs are banned there is not many days of snow and they think they can salt it all away.

I don't know how long those are allowed here either, at current amount of salting it is not too long I guess, it would be better to accept that at winter roads are covered with ice, but it is in road maintenance plan that big roads should never really be icy, which is rather ridiculous from my opinion considering what is location of country...

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 08 Dec 2011 04:34 pm

didnt go that easy when i tryed :lol:

around here they use salt everywhere, wich kinda pisses me of, because they started salting the roads when it was 15 degrees outside, some of the trucks also has the salt sprayer thingy wrongly adjusted, wich caused my windscreen, bonnet and roof to be full of the shit on several ocasions

ahh, some places around here we got to pay extra if we have studded tires, like in oslo

best thing about the salting here is that it gets more slippery, theyve said it them selves

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 09 Dec 2011 08:10 pm

Here they won't admit that salting causes road to become slippery, but there are studies, also there is studies about how mooses are lured to salted road and good % of moose car collisions are because of this, traffic safety department remains silent...

Today they had broken a law again, road near me is not allowed to be salted because of enviromental issues, but they had salted it, lot of slush, everytime car comes from opposite direction windscreen is full of salty goo which is really difficult to remove needs multiple times more washer fluid than normal water spray you get from roads, also lights get covered on that salt water because oncoming traffic, so can't see much of anything, have to stop every 10km to clean lights and windshield, I carry similar brush thingy that there are on petrol stations so cleaning is quite easy, but it is really annoying.

Slush is most dangerous thing, if one needs to drive bit closer to side of road because big truck coming against almost middle of road, then there is 5cm of slush and grip is gone immediately when you hit that, even driving 70kph, much more dangerous than ice.

So I have to call department responsible of contolling salt usage and make a complaint again, last time when I did that caused snow plowing company to be changed, there was lot of other ones complaining about it too.

Only reason why they salt roads is to support those transport companies, so they can use too big trucks and save on tires, slush does not affect those. Also it is cheaper to put salt on road twice a day than plow snow 10 times a day which sometimes is needed because of constant snow fall.

Last winter was good in there that it was too cold for salt most of time, it does not work when it is close to -20C, what was noted is that there was lot less accidents last winter :D

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 10 Dec 2011 08:41 pm

around here they send out some to plow the snow away, and some to poor salt over it

ive noticed the slush, lots of fun when meeting a big truck, one moment you see, moment after you dont see a thing

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 11 Dec 2011 03:33 pm

We have now around 30cm of snow, most of that came in today and yesterday. There is now around 1.7m tall wall of snow on my yard as I cleaned some of yard again from snow.

Here one big truck tipped over after losing control because of that slush, thanks to salting and not plowing the roads and driver not being able to evaluate capabilities of his vehicle correctly.

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 19 Dec 2011 10:59 am

here it is more rain than snow again, but some snow is still left

because of the rain and cold weather it is real slippery ice on the roads around here, even the cops managed to end up in the ditch, but not me :wink: yet :lol:
i really hope it snows a bit more before christmas though, or my christmas plans on winter drifting will be out of question

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 19 Dec 2011 11:06 am

Last night around 10cm, night before that aroun 15cm of new snow and is probably going to be more at next days, however temps are bit under, bit above zero so snow is not building up, if it would there would be more than half meter of it already. It is wet snow, I don't like from that stuff.

Someone had again used my yard as personal storage space, next time that happens, I'm going to put stored stuff in pieces and burn it in fireplace, that should teach them to respect other one's property!
Snow is good in there that tracking is rather easy.

macplaxton

Post by macplaxton » 19 Dec 2011 01:37 pm

jtbo wrote:Snow is good in there that tracking is rather easy.
*except in my other chariot:

:mrgreen:

(Having driven it in the snow about 20 years ago, handling is "interesting".)
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 19 Dec 2011 03:17 pm

Tracking like we do it here...