Hi, new member, pics inside. I'm back 9-7-12

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
STEVE

Re: Hi, new member, pics inside

Post by STEVE » 07 Jan 2012 07:21 pm

Yep mk1 gti duckbill spoiler

from here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260908029149? ... 1439.l2649

Can't wait to get it lowered now.

STEVE

Re: Hi, new member, pics inside. update

Post by STEVE » 16 Jan 2012 09:56 pm

Well got some bits last week,

Thought the blocks looked weak and basic when i got them but been told not one has ever failed so felt happier
Then the 75mm lowering springs didn't drop 75mm so had to mod them also all the other lowerinmg spring i've had still put pressure on the top plate so they can never move in the carrier even if the wheels are hanging but I'm happy with how it looks after doing this

Just need to sort the shocks as not happy with the ride so mite go for refilling the fronts with ep 80 -90 and defender shocks on the back.

only prob is I never took a pic once the front was cut.

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 16 Jan 2012 10:04 pm

New parts are always win! Personally Id avoid landy shocks. Unless you went all out and bought some fox racing fox with remote resivours :P

mat_91

Post by mat_91 » 16 Jan 2012 10:24 pm

the spring dislocating is a mot fail all i do is fix them in with jubilee clips little bit of a bodge but mine has just gone throw the new mot rules so its all good
and were did you get those springs from as ive got some the look very similar but they arent the right springs they dont sit in the spring cups properly all though mine was on when i bought it and they didnt go anywere but did make some bangs now replaced with correct fitting springs and no banging lol
the problem is the spring is flatterened off at the end on a 300 they dont have this

STEVE

Post by STEVE » 17 Jan 2012 07:27 pm

Evoman wrote:New parts are always win! Personally Id avoid landy shocks. Unless you went all out and bought some fox racing fox with remote resivours :P
I have heard that people say they are too hard or something what is your experience with them, I'm used to a hard ride from my subaru i had, at the min the volvo seems to boucey or something, the ride just isnt right.

need to do it the cheapest way as i've spent my budget on this car already as you know i've got more expence with my discovery.

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 17 Jan 2012 08:54 pm

Your springs might be too hard. If you've got uprated springs on shagged dampers, the dampers wont be able to control the spring, so you need some new dampers. If you have uprated springs with new dampers, then you need to uprate the dampers :) Thomas......................

Evoman

Post by Evoman » 17 Jan 2012 09:46 pm

I dont have any expeirence with them, however I wouldnt want to use dampers designed to control springs stiff enough for twice the weight. Like thomas says perhaps just new ones, or gas ones for volvo 300s would control the springs better. What exactly is your problem with the ride?

STEVE

Post by STEVE » 17 Jan 2012 09:54 pm

Dampers look good no oil leak and felt ok but as you said may not go well with the hard springs, want them hard for when i use it for drifting.

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 17 Jan 2012 10:15 pm

Ahhh sorry, i didnt read the whole of your last post, doh! If your going into drifting on the cheap, Landys are the best way to go. They stiffen up the back end to high hell, and make it very twitchy, and with a welded diff, if you go into a corner and give it some on the exit you will most definitely be sideways :lol: But if you want to do it the approved and correct way, you need another set of leaf springs to double them up or better buy some custom ones stiffened (but thats expensive so no good) and you need some of DAI's adjustable rear dampers. When you want to go drifting, turn them up woop woop stiff as nut, when your misses drags you half way over the country to the family gathering, turn them down and you get a nicer softer ride :) Or you could just 6 link the back but thats worth more than the car... lol :lol:

You say the cars 'bouncey' - front or rear?

Thomas.............

STEVE

Post by STEVE » 17 Jan 2012 10:16 pm

Evoman wrote:I dont have any expeirence with them, however I wouldnt want to use dampers designed to control springs stiff enough for twice the weight. Like thomas says perhaps just new ones, or gas ones for volvo 300s would control the springs better. What exactly is your problem with the ride?

It seems to keep bouncing after i've gone over a bump, so thought shocks but not sure if its to do with the hard front springs and standard rear, so was thinking the land rover shocks would stuffen the rear up to match the front.

Also would like to know if mine has the re-fillable front shocks or if inserts is the only way to go.

P.s. thought my posts look blank without a sig.

Attack2001

Post by Attack2001 » 17 Jan 2012 10:20 pm

STEVE wrote:
Evoman wrote:I dont have any expeirence with them, however I wouldnt want to use dampers designed to control springs stiff enough for twice the weight. Like thomas says perhaps just new ones, or gas ones for volvo 300s would control the springs better. What exactly is your problem with the ride?

It seems to keep bouncing after i've gone over a bump, so thought shocks but not sure if its to do with the hard front springs and standard rear, so was thinking the land rover shocks would stuffen the rear up to match the front.

Also would like to know if mine has the re-fillable front shocks or if inserts is the only way to go.

P.s. thought my posts look blank without a sig.
At a guess, because its a later mk3 car, they had converted to inserts by then, but dont hold me to that :P

Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by Chris_C » 19 Jan 2012 01:08 am

All had fillables, depends if anyone has ever done them before as to whether they will still be there. When I did Fake's at 230,000 miles, her's were still refillables :lol: :lol:
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

STEVE

Post by STEVE » 05 Feb 2012 06:27 pm

Well still waiting for the landy shocks to come but been out playing and got some good photos so thought i'd share, by the end of the night i was doing some snow ploughing with the splitter, which it now a bit loose :(

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 05 Feb 2012 10:49 pm

You do need to do something with the dampers. As you already know you can refill them with thicker oil for some inprovment

My adjustable front dampers have a short stroke and hold the springs in place. The other option is to clamp them but if you clamp them you also need to secure teh bearing in the top spring cup or the bearing will come out of teh cup when teh wheels come off teh ground.

To get the suspension stiff enough for the lower the springs need to be a lot shorter than original
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

STEVE

Post by STEVE » 11 Feb 2012 07:20 pm

Well happy with my landy shocks on the back, feels just right, a little hard on bad roads but this is what i'm used to and expected. next step refill the fronts and see if i can work out a way to shorten the travel.