People in Finland

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
tommysb

People in Finland

Post by tommysb » 08 Apr 2012 01:40 pm

I've not been around in a while.....Since I've not been with my car!

I remember some members being in Finland....well, I'm moving to Tampere in May...

Perhaps I'll get a RHD 360?

Can the Finnish members please raise their hands!

Thanks

Speedy88

Re: People in Finland

Post by Speedy88 » 08 Apr 2012 03:06 pm

Glad to hear you're still alive Tommy :)
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 08 Apr 2012 07:21 pm

Fuse and JTBO are Fins. (I think).

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 14 Apr 2012 01:56 pm

VND is right, there might be others too, but perhaps we two are most frequent ones.

LHD 360 might be something you can buy here at silly expensive price and very poor condition :mrgreen:

Stay away from Nekala and Tesoma, those have higher than average amount of issues, Hervanta is perhaps okay nowdays, it used to be one of the bad areas earlier.

In Tampere you really don't need a car, it is quite easy to go around with bicycle or in a bus, when I visit there I keep car at hotel and walk around, but if need to go further then bus is quite good option. Traffic is not that bad there, sure at few places one hits stop and go traffic, but problem is parking, there is so little parking places unless you go outside of city to big markets.

Mostly I try to avoid whole place, way too much people in way too small area for my liking, but I guess if one is used to UK bigger cities it might look even deserted place :lol:
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

macplaxton

Post by macplaxton » 14 Apr 2012 05:26 pm

jtbo wrote:but I guess if one is used to UK bigger cities it might look even deserted place :lol:
Yeah, I'd call it a tiny hamlet. :lol:
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 15 Apr 2012 02:46 pm

http://g.co/maps/8qtt8
This is busiest street at sidewalk that I have noticed in there, also there is Hesburger (that red H symbol) which is like Mac Donalds, but I think it is better, but that shop has given me many times wrong order and also few times they have forgotten my order even that I had waited near cash register, usually I don't stay there to eat as it is too noisy and too much crowd.

That street I dislike perhaps the most as there are also constantly those noisy buses and sometimes you have to even change your path of walking because so many people, now you probably laugh to that as there are not many people to european city standards. There is Celtic house (sort of pub, but we don't have pub culture, only drunken culture) if you go along that street, but it might be horror for you, I don't really know.
http://g.co/maps/znyd4

Anyway because there are constantly buses going on that street, you probably can go almost anywhere from there, also railwaystation is near there, which might be useful to know http://g.co/maps/m9hv5.

If you bring missus too, then you should know that those signs you see in street view, signs that say ALE are discount sale, so that you know to be aware of such, there is Stockmann (I don't know if there is something that is similar in UK, but it sells all kind of stuff missuses go bit crazy about, there might be also some other stuff too, but I have never dared to enter) on that street too, also a shoe shop is on that street called Andiamo, there are also several bookstores, kirjakauppa in finnish, which might be useful. So now you know why it is one of busiest streets, shoes, books and some stuff that missuses go crazy about, so be careful on that street, there are those shopping frenzy types that can't see anything else than discount sale sign or shoes on some window :lol:

If you continue east to that street, to the tunnel and up the hill, there is two daily stores to south from hill, there is small opening more pubs that are not like pubs in UK and two small shops where one can get food if staying on hotel on that area, but of course if you are moving in, then area might be bit different, I know mostly that central area and Area to south of tampere where are bigger hypermarkets car parts store and other such stores, like Motonet (car parts and other technical stuff, tools etc), Hong Kong (cheap rubbish from one end to another, something useful too), Verkkokauppa.com (computer stuff) Those all are in here http://g.co/maps/bx733
Biltema shop is bit further from those other ones, bit too long to walk, imo, but it is at same area http://g.co/maps/5p3hx

In our city infrastructure there is such problem that most bigger shops are made outside of city area, so often you need a car to go there, but I think there was bus lines that did go there too, but I have never used those. In central city area there is only small shops, well mostly. Then there is area half way out half way in city, the suburbs of sorts, that have their own shops and services, so often it is not needed to go into central city or big shops area, but if one likes to buy for example tools for humane price, then one must go to big shops area.

There are bus lines going even to Lempäälä, where there is very large shopping center called Ideapark, it is way too large, my feet did hurt when I tried to find place where I could eat there, also I found R/C shop there once, but never I have been able to find it again :lol:
Ideapark is big complex that contains many smaller shops inside of it, also some very large shops.
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage