Daily 300's?

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
340lex
Posts: 15
Joined: 27 Jul 2012 05:27 pm

Re: Daily 300's?

Post by 340lex » 13 Aug 2012 04:08 pm

Done 3k in my 340 1.7 since june!without many issues :) gunna waxoyl the shit out of her and keep the use minimal as the winter draws in! Could do with some hose replacements i reckon as shes been off road for 11 years :s
'87 340 GLE Limited Edition 1.7 B172

Attack2001
Posts: 1015
Joined: 05 Jun 2011 03:45 pm
Location: Rochester, Kent
Contact:

Re: Daily 300's?

Post by Attack2001 » 14 Aug 2012 01:04 am

Mines my first car, and my daily car, i've got noting else to use as the insurance is MAHOOOOOOSIVE on my 'standard' 1.4dl :roll: The only bummer being that i have no idea what diff is in it (i think its a 1700 one?), i have tiny wheels with even tinier tyres, the fuel economy isnt that great on it anymore :( But hey ho its all fun and games, getting all the looks driving it around 8) Miles, i have no idea? been driving it about a month or so now and im into around 1.2k i think?

Image

Thomas......................
Image

User avatar
SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 7848
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Coventry, UK

Re: Daily 300's?

Post by SteveP » 14 Aug 2012 02:32 pm

Well good news so far is I can insure a 360 for 15k limit a year for under £300 with wheels and suspension mods declared....
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 9143
Joined: 11 Nov 2008 04:22 pm
Location: Newcastle Upon Toon

Re: Daily 300's?

Post by volvosneverdie » 14 Aug 2012 05:21 pm

SteveP wrote:Well good news so far is I can insure a 360 for 15k limit a year for under £300 with wheels and suspension mods declared....
Can you afford 15Ks worth of juice man?
My maths is cest terrible, but I work that out @ about:

£3000

:shock:
Get a diesel.
Image

User avatar
Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 9571
Joined: 18 Jun 2004 11:53 pm
Location: Southampton and Isle of Wight, UK
Contact:

Re: Daily 300's?

Post by Chris_C » 14 Aug 2012 06:03 pm

There is a £800 difference between insuring a 1.7 300 and the corset for me. If it wasn't for the fact I'd just start making Fake2 I'd have done it.
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 9143
Joined: 11 Nov 2008 04:22 pm
Location: Newcastle Upon Toon

Re: Daily 300's?

Post by volvosneverdie » 14 Aug 2012 06:07 pm

Chris_C wrote:There is a £800 difference between insuring a 1.7 300 and the corset for me. .
How on earth can that be possible dude?
The 1.7 is £800 more to insure than a Corsa?
My 360s have only ever been about £600 fully comp???!

You got mega points or big recent claims man?
Image

User avatar
SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 7848
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Coventry, UK

Re: Daily 300's?

Post by SteveP » 14 Aug 2012 07:40 pm

Well I'm currently using the T4 for the journey and I can get between 28-42mpg on my commute, depending on how relaxed I want to take it. If anything a B200K 360 should equal that (it's all country roads/dual carriageway/motorway at 50-70mph). The T4 cost around £700 to buy and hasn't needed any work, a diesel that I would want to drive would cost in excess of £2000. Kinda buys a lot of fuel... plus it's likely to need potentially more expensive repairs such as flywheels, injectors, blah blah. I figure I could 'save' £80 a month buying something that'll do 50mpg, but in that case it'll take nearly 2 years to work out as a saving at the moment... I might just stick with the T4 for now, but mega want for said 360 and I don't wanna use the GLT for mega miles.
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 9143
Joined: 11 Nov 2008 04:22 pm
Location: Newcastle Upon Toon

Re: Daily 300's?

Post by volvosneverdie » 14 Aug 2012 07:48 pm

SteveP wrote:Well I'm currently using the T4 for the journey and I can get between 28-42mpg on my commute, depending on how relaxed I want to take it. If anything a B200K 360 should equal that (it's all country roads/dual carriageway/motorway at 50-70mph). The T4 cost around £700 to buy and hasn't needed any work, a diesel that I would want to drive would cost in excess of £2000. Kinda buys a lot of fuel... plus it's likely to need potentially more expensive repairs such as flywheels, injectors, blah blah. I figure I could 'save' £80 a month buying something that'll do 50mpg, but in that case it'll take nearly 2 years to work out as a saving at the moment... I might just stick with the T4 for now, but mega want for said 360 and I don't wanna use the GLT for mega miles.
Interesting reasoning man. I'd never thought of it in those terms before.
Image

User avatar
SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 7848
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Coventry, UK

Re: Daily 300's?

Post by SteveP » 14 Aug 2012 08:00 pm

Ofcourse, my theory doesn't work if I bought a cheap diesel! :D But most cheap diesels are either horribly slow, bland or break regularly. Saying that, I'd take a 309 as clean as yours no problem :)

There's also another factor.. A £2k car soon becomes a £1k car. A £500-700 car if you buy smartly will rarely lose much money if you keep up the maintenance and nothing drastic goes wrong, if anything fixing a few problems might make it worth a bit more.
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 9143
Joined: 11 Nov 2008 04:22 pm
Location: Newcastle Upon Toon

Re: Daily 300's?

Post by volvosneverdie » 14 Aug 2012 08:26 pm

SteveP wrote:Ofcourse, my theory doesn't work if I bought a cheap diesel! :D But most cheap diesels are either horribly slow, bland or break regularly. Saying that, I'd take a 309 as clean as yours no problem :)
.
Well if you will insist on being a fancypants big shot, and insist on a GOOD diesel.
Not tempted by a 405 man?
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-moto ... /108572808
Retro execubarge with uber-thrift. And a bit power. And XUDs should be compulsary for dailys.

Right, im gonna stop talking up pugs on this Volvo forum now............ :lol:
Image

User avatar
SteveP
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 7848
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 12:45 pm
Location: Coventry, UK

Re: Daily 300's?

Post by SteveP » 14 Aug 2012 08:39 pm

I had a 405 petrol 1.6 pre cat for a very short spell (a month!), it drove really nice and was faster than the GLT, but it broke and felt pretty fragile. However, heard the diesel ones are a lot better but it'd have to be under 120k miles and be the top of the range for me to really consider one, most of them are pretty ropey now :(

EDIT: Your link looks like a tidy one, but non turbo?! - do you want me to kill myself? :lol:
1989 - Volvo 360 GLT
1985 - Volvo 360 GLS
2008 - Volvo S60 SE Lux

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 9143
Joined: 11 Nov 2008 04:22 pm
Location: Newcastle Upon Toon

Re: Daily 300's?

Post by volvosneverdie » 14 Aug 2012 08:56 pm

SteveP wrote:I had a 405 petrol 1.6 pre cat for a very short spell (a month!), it drove really nice and was faster than the GLT, but it broke and felt pretty fragile. However, heard the diesel ones are a lot better but it'd have to be under 120k miles and be the top of the range for me to really consider one, most of them are pretty ropey now :(

EDIT: Your link looks like a tidy one, but non turbo?! - do you want me to kill myself? :lol:
My mate has an estate with over 250k on, thats a GLTRXTRLX top of the range job, and thats still tight as a ducks arse. they do more miles that the Mars Curiosity Rover.
But like you say, youd have to find a good one.
I didnt really have a good look at that red one man, youre right though. Fuck an n/a in something that heavy! :lol:
Image

User avatar
Chris_C
*** V3M DONOR ***
Posts: 9571
Joined: 18 Jun 2004 11:53 pm
Location: Southampton and Isle of Wight, UK
Contact:

Re: Daily 300's?

Post by Chris_C » 14 Aug 2012 09:27 pm

volvosneverdie wrote:
Chris_C wrote:There is a £800 difference between insuring a 1.7 300 and the corset for me. .
How on earth can that be possible dude?
The 1.7 is £800 more to insure than a Corsa?
My 360s have only ever been about £600 fully comp???!

You got mega points or big recent claims man?
Other way bud... I have the GSi engine in my corset. It's worryingly pacey for what it is. That's the other reason I havn't swapped, not sure I could deal with the 1.7 slownesses.
'89(G) 340 GLE B172k
'03 S60 D5 SE, '91 (J) MX5, 1954 Cyclemaster
Ex:
'89(F) 340 GL F7R (ex B172k) - Fake -> SBKV 300 Runner Up 08, 12; '91(H) 340 GL B14.4E - Kar; '88(F) 360 GLT B200E - Jet -> BKV 300 Runner Up 09; '89(G) 360 GLT B200E - Beast

Evoman
Posts: 1688
Joined: 15 Sep 2010 10:47 pm
Location: Mid Wales

Re: Daily 300's?

Post by Evoman » 14 Aug 2012 09:34 pm

My 360 has been my daily for 2 years nearly, but only about 6k miles a year. Being uni i use alot of pedal power. I find it ok for feul but the lanes around mine really cause it to drink feul. Insurance is cheap, £450 with all the extras and 9 points, I dont know of anything so fast or fun for such little insurance cost
Image

Nimminz
Posts: 1669
Joined: 11 Jun 2010 10:56 pm
Location: Durham City, NE England, UK
Contact:

Re: Daily 300's?

Post by Nimminz » 14 Aug 2012 10:08 pm

my 1.2 16v corsa b is £1280 a year, whereas the GLT is £800
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'87 760 TDI (D24TIC) - sold
'04 V40 D sport (F9Q, decat, Remapped, launch control)
'89 740 SE (b230ft, 12psi, V-cam, headwork, 'remapped', banded steels)
'86 340 DL 1.4

Post Reply