PLEASE READ.

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
Hell Driver

Re: PLEASE READ.

Post by Hell Driver » 27 Aug 2012 09:29 pm

Exactly what I'm saying. Those of us of a certain age, and I it doesn't have to be of that great an age, can see a pattern developing here. The gradual erosion of civil liberties, freedom of speach and freedom to choose how to live your life.

Consider this:

Each time a small number of people do something to cause a ripple of thought across the population, those in control loose a lttle bit of that control.

New Age Travellers, Raves, peacefull protest against any cause be it environmental/political/humanitarian etc. all lead to tightening up of laws.
Look whats happening in America with the militatary style policing since the Occupy protests. In Russia there is the Pussy Riot clampdown - two sides of the same coin.
In 2000, with the fuel protests, the UK Government shat themselves and did so again last year with the riots, you can see that by the way they rushed through the cases...you never see that with the crime we suffer on an everyday basis.

Non everything in our lives is under the direct control of government and big business, but notice how everything is gradually going that way?

The UK in 2030 will be a different place that it is today thats for sure, just as it's not the place it was in 1990.

Just remember when people say 'you can't stop progress' in that brain dead way.......what progress do you want? At the moment technology is progressing, which is all very good and exiting for business and sceince but hows health care going? What about progress in the banking world? Quality of life for the ordinary people? Job prospects? Chances of buying a house for a 20 year old?

Progress for many people is only any good if it's in one direction.....the one that you want it to go in and that depends who you are, whos payrole your on, and how fast you can stuff the cash in you pockets while the goings good.

Politicians like to make out they are in the game of fairness, helping people, doing the right thing and sorting stuff out.
In my view there are 3 main types

1 Bumbling idiots who actually try to do some of the above but but fail manily due to being outwitted by No.2 below.
2 Outright crooks who are in it for the power and influence,
3 Born leaders of men with fire in their hearts.

We only seam to get 1 and 2, I can only think of one example of in the UK of number 3 in the whole of the 20th century.

Doesn't help with modified cars a lot..........but helps to explain how we get to where we are!

Could anyone who knows the reals effect of this legislation please enlighten us if and when they find out...
360 GLE Saloon (D 86)
360 GLS (A 84)
343 DL (W 80) :-)
340 GL 1.7 (G 89)
360 GLS (Y 83)
440 Turbo (J 92)
Transit Tipper 125 T350 (02)Alive Again!
Transit Tipper Smiley face Q reg
Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 (54)
R.I.P. 77 343 DL vario :-(

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 27 Aug 2012 10:47 pm

^ this man speaks truth

Recently I've read a few books like 1984, brave new world, farenheit 541 etc. etc. Scary how you can see stuff from them in todays world

There will be ways round it, same as people go for dodgy mot's now, the rules won't be enforced so strongly etc. but still the point stands that we are being controlled more and more.

UK 2030 - I shudder to think what it will be like
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'87 760 TDI (D24TIC) - sold
'04 V40 D sport (F9Q, decat, Remapped, launch control)
'89 740 SE (b230ft, 12psi, V-cam, headwork, 'remapped', banded steels)
'86 340 DL 1.4

Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 » 28 Aug 2012 07:27 am

I agree however there's no point getting all worried about the future. The truth is that there will always be people who lay down and comply, and then there are people like us who won't stand for it. We know in our heads what is right and we'll at least try and stand for it. Want to make me do something?

I don't know about you but if they really do ban modified cars I'll still be driving mine around.
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

sven360

Post by sven360 » 28 Aug 2012 11:17 am

People wonder why folk run beat up 70's pickups stateside................http://lewrockwell.com/peters-e/peters-e144.html

Very Orwellian.
Keeper of The Knights' of Bushido-lest we forget

Write it in your heart.
Stand by the code and it will stand by you.

Ask no more and give no less than honesty,courage,loyalty,generosity and fairness.

The code of the West.

Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 » 28 Aug 2012 12:08 pm

Here is the backdoor that will be used to effectively outlaw older cars, including antique cars – but also just older late-model cars. They won’t be prohibited outright, probably. Rather, they will be prohibited from being used for everyday transportation. You’ll be allowed to keep your pre-OBD III car. You just won't be allowed to drive it – except, perhaps, to the occasional old car show.
...is something that is already in motion.
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

Hell Driver

Post by Hell Driver » 28 Aug 2012 12:53 pm

Speedy88 wrote:I agree however there's no point getting all worried about the future.
I thought you said theres no point in worrying about the future :P That OBD III sounds very worrying :(

Unfortunatley the future comes to us all :?

The main problem is that the majority of the next generation is oblivious to the freedoms they've just missed having and accept the way things are. Some of them don't accept things as they find them and do change things for the better but that often involves a long spell in prision.
360 GLE Saloon (D 86)
360 GLS (A 84)
340 GL 1.7 (G 89)
360 GLS (Y 83)
440 Turbo (J 92)
Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 (54)

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 28 Aug 2012 06:29 pm

Long term goal of course is to kill all car enthusiasm as it does not fit to union's unisex model of vegetarians.

He is many things, but brings up some things that are tried to keep in quiet:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... gel+farage

For example, once there was banderoll in there congress room that was very much of pro vegetarian and all the big names were behind no meat day or something like that and were machining trough directives aimed to reduce meat usage in EU, he invited chairman and everyone else to grill party where he told to be lot of meat for everyone, poor big guys were almost face white and managed to say just something along lines, "you have of course right to do so".

Leaders there seem to purposely aim to destroy 'man culture' and at least here, media is now singing in choir how 'man culture' is so bad and cause of this and that, now everything should be something that seems unisex to me, tasteless odourless etc.

Now EU leaders then reminds me lot of that chairman in Sylvester Stallone featuring movie Demolition man and that future is quite bit of what they probably have in mind, we are probably those outcasts that in that movie live underground. Movie is perhaps not very good, but it has some scary things that are too near to be true.

Here insurance companies are lobbing GPS tracking for cars, some have taken that already, now think about when everyone has it, no long until they make law that allows authorities to look where you have been driving and at what speed etc.

I linked game earlier, even if not playing, it is worth to visit the site, youtube has probably some videos about that, it is not far fetch that Britain in 2027 would be like that, not far fetch that EU would be such too, 2040 at latest we look places like China and envy their freedom, I'm afraid.

They try to solve upcoming crisis with all kind of different sales talks which then relief us from our rights and freedoms, they could tell the truth too, people would then adapt, but nobody would not have gained control and power over people then.

I'm working towards being as much as possible independent from outside world at that time, only way to true freedom is when you get free from money as much as possible. Sadly I can't see way to continue driving or car hobby in long term, but I can have my private museum at least. Fishing goes quite well already, I drop hook, I pull fish up, repeat until desired number of fishes are caught. Sadly potatoes got frozen as cold came bit early this year.
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 28 Aug 2012 06:51 pm

jtbo wrote:Long term goal of course is to kill all car enthusiasm as it does not fit to union's unisex model of vegetarians.
They sound delicious!

I have visions of your little house being some day surrounded by black helicopters, SUVs and men in black suits and dark sunglasses holding guns............

Then you come out, throwing angry cats. :lol:

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 28 Aug 2012 07:15 pm

volvosneverdie wrote: They sound delicious!

I have visions of your little house being some day surrounded by black helicopters, SUVs and men in black suits and dark sunglasses holding guns............

Then you come out, throwing angry cats. :lol:
My Future O Vision 2000 has image for you:

Of course any man can build stone age defences which has not yet been banned, but probably soon is, however if you are harmless and rather invisible nobody will really care, especially at countryside.

Gov. hates this stuff, it hurts their constant growth impossibility if lot of people move to that way, but eventually their impossible constant growth will end and those that have downshifted don't face big chaos then:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downshifting

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 28 Aug 2012 07:58 pm

Pic doesnt work for me dude.
Sounds interesting though.

Downshifting sounds cool. But Im sure it takes a lot of work. And relies on the government allowing you to live as you wish.
Its surely more work than having a traditional job/consumer lifestyle. Which I suppose might be why the majority of people blindly follow the latter path.

Me as one of them of course.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 28 Aug 2012 08:45 pm

volvosneverdie wrote:Pic doesnt work for me dude.
Sounds interesting though.

Downshifting sounds cool. But Im sure it takes a lot of work. And relies on the government allowing you to live as you wish.
Its surely more work than having a traditional job/consumer lifestyle. Which I suppose might be why the majority of people blindly follow the latter path.

Me as one of them of course.
Quite bit less work actually, around 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, that is total. Now how much you spend time travelling to/from work, how much time you need to prepare for work add those to working hours and it is easily 10-12 hours a day, depending from your commute distance/traffic etc.

Also more independent you are, less you need to spend time at shopping etc.

For me it was leave at sunday, come back late friday/early saturday, several hours from weekend was preparing clothing, packing, planning first day schedule etc. for next week.

Hell Driver

Post by Hell Driver » 28 Aug 2012 10:14 pm

Just taken Mrs HDs car for M.O.T. and spoken to the chap that runs the garage/M.O.T. station. He races single seat racing cars and the're often working on old stuff. Said he's building a road going hot rod soon. Mentioned all this EU stuff. He's not heard anything about it, but will have a look. He rekons it's unlikely it will lead to the 'banning' of modified cars but then again, the Ministry have only just officailly told them about the relaxation of M.O.T.s for pre 1960 cars in the U.K. He said carry on as usual...
360 GLE Saloon (D 86)
360 GLS (A 84)
340 GL 1.7 (G 89)
360 GLS (Y 83)
440 Turbo (J 92)
Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 (54)

Speedy88

Post by Speedy88 » 28 Aug 2012 11:23 pm

Hell Driver wrote:
Speedy88 wrote:I agree however there's no point getting all worried about the future.
I thought you said theres no point in worrying about the future :P That OBD III sounds very worrying :(

Unfortunatley the future comes to us all :?

The main problem is that the majority of the next generation is oblivious to the freedoms they've just missed having and accept the way things are. Some of them don't accept things as they find them and do change things for the better but that often involves a long spell in prision.
What I meant was there's no point flapping our wings over it, calm and calculated action is needed. Worrying gets us nowhere.

As for the generations, I have to disagree. I usually see a higher percentage of younger people who don't agree with the powers that be. It's age that seems to turn people into willing, compliant drones once they loose their energy and enthusiasm. I mean - look at the 60s in the USA - where are all those young rebellious hippies now? Sure a few are still around but a lot of them just became what they at first hated. Basically 80% of the population can't think for themselves and will just go along with what they are told.

Just for VND:
unisex model of vegetarians.
...Pandaselecta?
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 28 Aug 2012 11:50 pm

Speedy88 wrote: Basically 80% of the population can't think for themselves and will just go along with what they are told.
Just for VND:
unisex model of vegetarians.
...Pandaselecta?
80% of me cant, or wont think for myself. But the other 20% is a renegade badass.

The ledgendary PS is NOT unisex. More accurate to say asexual vegetable sucking buttfiddler.

Logan360

Post by Logan360 » 29 Aug 2012 08:47 am

^^ ok now that made me laugh

but i still reckon that supposed law they are trying to enforce is shit. I'm from nz. stuff has to be certified and there are regulations etc over here but what the EU as proposing is just preposterous and way to radical.

Also known as f***ing ridiculous.
Own:
86 360GLT
97 S90
92 960S, Royal
01 Subaru Lancaster 6
96 Volvo 854R

Owned
E90 320 M-sport wagon
S60T -Mazda Familia
850lpt -AU Falcon
855T5 -91, 95, 97 960