PLEASE READ.

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

PLEASE READ.

Post by volvosneverdie » 22 Aug 2012 12:55 am

http://www.the-ace.org.uk/armageddon/#more-901

Read this if you havnt already.

This is not a drill.

Speedy88

Re: PLEASE READ.

Post by Speedy88 » 22 Aug 2012 05:18 am

For those who don't know, the ace are a very very reliable source who do not post speculation and will fight to get facts before rumours turn into panic.

This is not one of those instances. Everyone should panic.
'88 340 Williams (Sold)
'85 360 GLS - Drift project (Sold)
'77 Colt Sigma
'96 940 Drift project

Nimminz

Post by Nimminz » 22 Aug 2012 06:56 am

the end is neigh.
'88 360 +T LSD - sold
'87 760 TDI (D24TIC) - sold
'04 V40 D sport (F9Q, decat, Remapped, launch control)
'89 740 SE (b230ft, 12psi, V-cam, headwork, 'remapped', banded steels)
'86 340 DL 1.4

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 22 Aug 2012 10:23 am

I agree with you both. Unfortunately.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 22 Aug 2012 11:47 am

Of course your modded cars are used for civil protection and you have formed a neighborhood watch where your vehicles have active role:)
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 22 Aug 2012 02:09 pm

jtbo wrote:Of course your modded cars are used for civil protection and you have formed a neighborhood watch where your vehicles have active role:)
The legislation is EU, not UK dude. So when it becomes law I think your mpg mods on the dailly may have to go. Or it will be judged unroadworthy at next mot equivalent.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 22 Aug 2012 03:28 pm

Oh, we have had that for over 10 years already, welcome to club 8)

nvdw

Post by nvdw » 22 Aug 2012 06:22 pm

Just to get some things straight.

The EU proposal is aimed at the harmonization of all member states' MOT equivalents. This is important and actually necessary: when I buy a car in Germany with 2 full years of MOT, and want to register this car in another EU state, I don't have to hand it to a local MOT station before the original German MOT date is expired. This system however is very prone to irregularities as some member states are more lenient than others in terms of testing, conditions and MOT intervals.

From what I read, it seems the EU has taken some leafs out of the books of countries that require type approvals for added extras, such as Germany, France and Belgium. Even in this case, a lot of modifications can be made. Accessories such as Hella foglights or aftermarket wheels usually come with an EU-wide type approval already. This also goes for certain electric power steering columns retrofitted to classics or brake upgrades. Cheapskate xenon sets usually do not, but I consider that a good thing.

The Ace seems to confuse two things: the bit about the EU-wide MOT proposal and the new definition of the 'historic vehicle'. A heavily modified 1977 car (modern engine, modern brakes, modern suspension setup) might not count as an historic vehicle but it may still be a very legal car...

Fuse

Post by Fuse » 22 Aug 2012 07:01 pm

True and country specific vehicle classes, which differ from a standard registered road going car would still exist as usual.

For example in Sweden you can register a vehicle as a single production car/hand built car if it has a specific amount of parts (percentage) which are not from an original production car. Then you'll do a single production vehicle registration MOT for it where everything is listed and checked and the car is registered as a single production vehicle. This kind of a vehicle has a lot more freedoms modification wise, than a normally registered road vehicle.

Norway has similiar laws too which allow quite free builds in some cases. There has been some discussion to introduce similiar "enthusiast/single production" vehicle class in Finland too, but it hasn't gained much attention yet.
Volvo R-Sport - Equipment for the car enthusiast.

“Buy land, they're not making it anymore” - Mark Twain

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 22 Aug 2012 09:40 pm

We have the SVA for kit cars etc here where they do not retain enough original parts for the 8 point system.
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

Ride_on

Post by Ride_on » 25 Aug 2012 07:49 pm

volvosneverdie wrote:
The legislation is EU, not UK dude.
Not sure what you mean there, but the UK is part of the EU.

This is a directive to EU member states, that they have to write it into their laws, then it becomes law. In some cases they are allowed some flexibility in what they have to enter.

I have not read the details and have no intention of doing so, generally only the economic actors have such a say, and the UK certainly has a large aftermarket modification industry so they would be the best placed to oppose such a directive. However this group may be able to sway opinion.

It could be a simple mistake, there is alot of problems in the wording of some these directives and certain reading from certain angles can lead to totally unintended requirements, such that the recent WEEE directive updates proposed to prevent waste disposal companies exporting WEEE as 'reuse', but ended up prevent selling of spare parts or items intended for refurbishment/repair. Unfortunately the writers often do not live in the real world, and certainly they do not consider how or if such things can be policed.

There is an enormous regulatory force in the EU, with standards and regulations now being updated for the sake of it. It is a farce and they are not policing the ones they have already, it seems to be just there to keep a load of bureaucrats in jobs.
1980 345 DL_______1987 360 GLE (project car restored to GLT spec and B230FT'd)
1984 360 GLT______1987 360 GLT
1983 360 GLS______1989 360 GLE
1985 340 GL_______1986 340 1.4
1985 360 GLS______1995 940 SE 2.3 Turbo Estate (daily)
1987 340 GL 1.7

volvosneverdie
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by volvosneverdie » 25 Aug 2012 08:27 pm

Ride_on wrote:
volvosneverdie wrote:
The legislation is EU, not UK dude.
Not sure what you mean there, but the UK is part of the EU.
I understand that.

When read in context, I was warning jtbo that it will affect him in Finland also.
Though it seems that their regulations are already rather stringent.
Certainly moreso than ours.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 25 Aug 2012 09:40 pm

It has been so that if you wanted to put turbo to your car, it was ok with -86 or older, with cat + some power documents etc. it was ok with cars ranging from -87 to -93 from my memory, but to get it done -94 or newer car would be needed to be tested in approved test center and it costs thousands.

It might be that with older cars things might get easier here, however our politicians tend to read EU directives bit funny way, they result laws here that are usually much more demanding than directives and always costing more for car builder.

It is really stupid this banning everything that law makers seem to do, there certainly would be better ways that would even help economy too, but do they spend even 5 minutes to think about alternative ways for banning? Of course not.

Maybe in Cuba there is soon more freedom than here...

Hell Driver

Post by Hell Driver » 26 Aug 2012 10:55 pm

Just got back from a week away and it appears the sky has fallen in, just been on their website to research.

Looks like the sickening reality of the future is begining to seek out all areas of our lives. Conspiracy theorists are largely exagerators but I am begining to belive they are generally on the right track.

There are increasing forces out there who seek to control every aspect of our lives to benefit the few, those involved in running the mega corporations and those who prop up their own cushy jobs and empire build in Europe.

It's about time ALL pissed off parties from ALL walks of life/interest groups got together and cracked a few heads of state together.

If all this euro trash nonsense is proven to not affect us then all well and good but in my experience when something is too complicated to read and make sense of, someone somewhere is very likely to rip you off.

Rant Over
360 GLE Saloon (D 86)
360 GLS (A 84)
343 DL (W 80) :-)
340 GL 1.7 (G 89)
360 GLS (Y 83)
440 Turbo (J 92)
Transit Tipper 125 T350 (02)Alive Again!
Transit Tipper Smiley face Q reg
Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 (54)
R.I.P. 77 343 DL vario :-(

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 27 Aug 2012 06:32 pm

Conspiracies? Nah, but think about this.

Based on over 500 scientific studies, there is report that says we will produce more oil than ever around 2030-2050, but oil consumption increase is so high that around that time there will be major shortages of oil supply.

There has been already great fluctuation of oil prices, middle east crisis is blamed and who knows what each time.

Why all of sudden around 10 years ago they started to push very hard new laws that make it possible to have more control over people, why it has been that anything that can harm others has all of sudden become so dangerous that that must be banned?

I think that it is because those in power know shit will hit the fan in next 40 years and they try to sell control in name of safety so that they can control people when things start to be real bad, or then not, there is not much we can do about it.

However everyone should have a play at this game, that is pretty much where EU is going to, my opinion:
http://www.thecurfewgame.com/