Fail car

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
jtbo

Fail car

Post by jtbo » 23 Aug 2012 03:09 pm

I have not really used 343 at all, today I moved it a bit again to shelter, what did happen was that light switch failed, it rotates now quite freely without doing what it should be doing, I have used it under 20 times, I put parking lights on when starting the car as by default it has big lights on.

That is only 133tkm and already such important device fails, it of course still has emv issues as even that I repaired it it failed again, which was probably my fault as soldering is not my best skill.

I don't think that I have never had such break down with any of my cars, usually things have started to be worn first, but this failed just without a warning, it just was loose and before it was working properly.
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

Fuse

Re: Fail car

Post by Fuse » 23 Aug 2012 03:35 pm

Failed due aging probably. Though early 340s did have poor quality interiors.
Volvo R-Sport - Equipment for the car enthusiast.

“Buy land, they're not making it anymore” - Mark Twain

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games." -Ernest Hemingway

macplaxton

Post by macplaxton » 23 Aug 2012 04:49 pm

82MY isn't that old. light switch knob would have D shape spindle and maybe metal spring piece. Perhaps the plastic is cracked? Or is the switch itself faulty.

PM me your address Jani.
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 23 Aug 2012 07:15 pm

I need to study a bit how to properly open that up without leaving marks anywhere as interior is pretty much untouched. Will look tomorrow if it is not raining whole day (again).

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 24 Aug 2012 08:05 pm

Didn't do anything to this today, instead I wen't fishing and met a bear, which luckily seemed to ignore me and more importantly my fishes, for some reason after that I came back and had no inspiration of work with car, maybe next day then.

macplaxton

Post by macplaxton » 24 Aug 2012 10:46 pm

jtbo wrote:instead I wen't fishing and met a bear,
Like this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dspAa9NQ-c :lol: :lol: :lol:
72 DAF 44 Estate 78 Volvo 343DL Black BeautyImageImage
82 Volvo 343DL CVTImageImage 88 Volvo 340DL Diesel

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 25 Aug 2012 08:41 am

macplaxton wrote: Like this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dspAa9NQ-c :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, except no screaming and fighting, also fishes were lot smaller and bear lot further, but other than that :lol:

For next trip I must take camera with me, if there are more of such events I might even get some photos of such thing.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 22 Apr 2013 11:47 pm

Oh yes, it only took 'few' months to check the light switch, it is indeed broken, pulled knob out, switch is rotating without resistance, but is not loose from mounting, so something has gone broken inside the switch.

Of course car got more damage from last update, there is two large dent on roof, next to rain gutter and bonnet is very much deformed, thanks to snow and garage collapse.

EMV seems to be okay, not sure if there is something else wrong with the system. Waterpump leaks, there was something wrong with high beam, fan and windshield wipers too. Also tinworm seems to be biting quite hard. If I just could make it trough the MOT, then sell it for someone with more motivation, I would really need some cash soon.

Maybe I try to fix 360 too to point I could get that MOT and sell it also, not sure about that, but I have not much interest of working on cars really anymore. However I think that 1.4l manual 340 might be quite good daily ride. Easy to work with, roomy and one actually could afford to insure and drive it, also MOT would be lot cheaper than for a diesel.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 25 Jun 2013 04:20 pm

I finally got enough motivation to take light switch apart, or more like it had came apart by itself and of course dropped balls in process.

I had to take out wires from back plate section of switch so I could put balls back to proper place (after I found them) and also secure switch box well. I took a photo from wires before taking them out, but I could not make out from photo which wire should be wired to which connector, so now I don't know how to wire that many wires back again without setting car to a fire.

I try to find my books, there might be some electrical drawings, but not sure how well those are. Also I'm not sure if it was possible to put switch back together in wrong way, I did try to look connection surfaces and studs to proper position, but there is not knowing if that did succeed. Maybe tomorrow I can then put that together, it was way too hot to keep working outdoors.

Also there was some Volvo enthusiast that came visit and wanted to buy 360 and 240, I might told him too high price, but he planned to visit later day with better time as he had to go, maybe we can negotiate terms that suit both of us.

Anyway windshield wipers are not working in 343, they work only when I pull down from stalk, but when I push up to constant wiping position there is no movement or noise. I don't know if it is relay or switch, but I need to fix that too and then I need new waterpump too and some brakes need some service too, heater fan is not working either, only at full speed I think it was working, need to actually test it, some dents and rust would need doing, but not quite sure what I do to those.
Also door window seal is broken so that needs some sorting out.

Still don't know if variomatic works, EMV does all correct noises and it might work, or then not, I did pickup some firewood with trailer attached to 343 and variomatic does at least something, however I did not drive much past running speed, so not too sure if it is still operating properly.

Windshield is also leaking a bit, or I should say a lot, there is a lot of rustwork needed around the windshield, but I might not do that, as I might sell that one too, depends how much I get from other two and french crap, might keep 343, just not perfectly sure about that yet as I think I need to raise around 2000 with sales, need to build some buffer and get a scooter for transportation, might be that I give up with cars completely or not, nothing is certain :)

MCHUDD
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by MCHUDD » 25 Jun 2013 05:06 pm

Hi Jani.
I have a spare light switch if you need one.
Its from a latter modol. 83 dash on.
Cheers Mark.
sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 25 Jun 2013 06:01 pm

MCHUDD wrote:Hi Jani.
I have a spare light switch if you need one.
Its from a latter modol. 83 dash on.
Cheers Mark.
sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69 sm69
Thanks from the offer.

I have earlier dash, I think that switch is different, but it really was quite simple construction to repair, for some reason it was just not enough tightly closed so two sections got separated, it is good now if I did put it together properly, if not, I just need to open it, turn one part around and put it back together. Connecting the wires might be bit of work, but I guess nothing impossible, we see that when I get around to find my books and start connecting the wires, hopefully it takes bit less than a year or so.

mac

Post by mac » 25 Jun 2013 10:28 pm

Jani,
If you have the earlier switch you should find the terminals are numbered 30, 58, & 56.

1978/79
The red wire (12v+from fuse) goes on 30 (bottom terminal)
The lilac wire (parking lights) goes to 58 (top terminal)
The yellow wire (to headlamp relay) goes on 56 (middle terminal)

1980 on
The white/red wire (12v+from fuse) goes on 30 (bottom terminal)
The blue/red wire (parking lights) goes to 58 (top terminal)
The white wire (to headlamp relay) goes on 56 (middle terminal)

Good luck!

Mac.
88 5door Redline 1.7 52k - 19 XC60 Momentum Pro D4 AWD 17k
1950 pair of legs that don't work very well.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 26 Jun 2013 03:25 am

mac wrote:Jani,
If you have the earlier switch you should find the terminals are numbered 30, 58, & 56.

1978/79
The red wire (12v+from fuse) goes on 30 (bottom terminal)
The lilac wire (parking lights) goes to 58 (top terminal)
The yellow wire (to headlamp relay) goes on 56 (middle terminal)

1980 on
The white/red wire (12v+from fuse) goes on 30 (bottom terminal)
The blue/red wire (parking lights) goes to 58 (top terminal)
The white wire (to headlamp relay) goes on 56 (middle terminal)

Good luck!

Mac.
Thx from these!

I wonder now if it really is earlier style switch, there are 5 or 6 connectors at back of the switch, also I found two wires near the area of switch that were not connected at all, can't quite make out texts from haynes book's wiring diagrams, everything is so horribly small in that :o

Here are some bad quality phonephotos I took from the book, this is 81 b14 which is impossible to make out:

This is 81 b19 which is somewhat readible:

This is 82 b14 and b19, which I can make out the best.

I have no idea if first one is different from the rest as It is just smudges of ink, but I doubt those have changed a lot between models.

This is best I could make out from numbers:
S (maybe 15?) is green
58 is Blue-red
30 is blue-yellow
87a is blue-red
another 30 has white-red (why there would be another?)
56 is white

Might try with better camera, maybe I get it readable then and having numbers and colours while holding the switch might clear mysteries a bit too.

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 26 Jun 2013 12:05 pm

I did do some work with car and now low beam and high beam works, but there is some odd error someplace.

Rear right cluster, there is two red lights lit when switch is at position 0, 1 or 2, but right most red light is not quite ok, it gets killed when I press brake pedal, when switch is position 1 or 2, but it does lit brake light when switch is at position 0, also there was something else odd, but can't remember too well.

I'm pretty sure that I did connect wires correctly as there was simple enough numbering which I could find from wiring diagram and now even high beam works which did not work before, I think there was some wrong wires connected, even windshield wipers work now, also I learned that it was intermittent wiping when pushing up and when pulling more down wipers do actuate, stalk is bit stiff as it is pretty much unused, but now all modes work.
However I think that I need to solve rear lights so that there are parking lamps and brake lights working on both side, it does not matter if only one parking light is lit at one side.

It has been so hot that my brains are melting, so I could not diagnose that properly.

Then there is heater fan issue, it works only at speed 1, but not at any faster speed, I can hear relays click, so I guess that fault is in resistor pack, however I could not access it even I found it, there is plastic rain cover at top of heater box and it is attached with some sort of metal clips that I can't see too well and even Haynes book does not explain how that part should come off.

Water pump, oil change, rear light issue, heater resistor pack, not sure if much else, brakes, shocks and rust holes can of course be big surprise, but well see, I try to do some brake testing relatively soon, hopefully.

pettaw
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by pettaw » 29 Jun 2013 10:35 pm

Rear light issue is the earth bar in the cluster. The earth for the combined stop/tail light bulb isn't working and its finding its ground through the other bulb.Just give the contact a good clean and all should be well.

The other stuff i'm not sure. When the resistor pack fails, usually all speeds fail. If its a fuse, then usually either speed 1 and 2 will both fail, or speed 3 on its own, but the other speeds should work. Of course the early resistor packs could be wired differently......To get the box open, you need to unclip the top cover, it should just winkle out, and then the pack should be underneath.

Hope that helps.