some problems

A global place for general discussion (Volvo, V3M or non-Volvo related topics).
Please introduce yourself here, your Volvo 300 hobby...
NO technical support, parts requests or car advertisements here
tim-andre

Re: some problems

Post by tim-andre » 28 Nov 2012 09:05 pm

classicswede wrote:I have engine mounts and all the bushes.
for the b19a?
War isnt about who is right, but who is left

classicswede
*** V3M DONOR ***

Post by classicswede » 29 Nov 2012 11:18 am

The 360 mounts are on the way with a couple of other projects this winter.
Dai

Please email me directly on dai@classicswede.co.uk

http://www.classicswede.com

phone/text 07824887160

Web shop http://www.classicswede.co.uk/

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 29 Nov 2012 10:19 pm

classicswede wrote:The 360 mounts are on the way with a couple of other projects this winter.
sweet!
think i might place an quite large order on bushings after new year :lol:

Ride_on

Post by Ride_on » 01 Dec 2012 01:46 pm

Yes, Camber is not adjustable, so you are looking for bent parts/worn bushes/incorrectly assembled items. The lower ball joint can get bent if you wack a curb, for example.
1980 345 DL_______1987 360 GLE (project car restored to GLT spec and B230FT'd)
1984 360 GLT______1987 360 GLT
1983 360 GLS______1989 360 GLE
1985 340 GL_______1986 340 1.4
1985 360 GLS______1995 940 SE 2.3 Turbo Estate (daily)
1987 340 GL 1.7

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 03 Dec 2012 11:38 pm

Ride_on wrote:Yes, Camber is not adjustable, so you are looking for bent parts/worn bushes/incorrectly assembled items. The lower ball joint can get bent if you wack a curb, for example.
no bent parts (as i can see anyway) some worn bushes, but looks like changing the steering rack balljoint helped alot, have not had the tracking done, but seems like it goes straight now, and no abnormal tyre ware (yet!)

thanks for all the replies :)

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 03 Dec 2012 11:55 pm

new problem seems to have shown itself in the cold thou, with the heater turned to max it almost blows cold air, changing thermostate and coolant seemed to help a bit, but it is still kind of cold, im now trying an rad cleaner, but it has not helped so far
anyone know what to do?
the 2 vents in the middle of the dash just blows cold air btw, but im guessing this is normal, since the other 360 i had also did this

the heater blows warm, but not warm enough, also gets colder the faster i go
and for you that may wonder, its almost minus 20 degrees out

volvomania

Post by volvomania » 04 Dec 2012 09:03 am

Does the heatervalve still open fully?
What I would do is to let the engine warm up and follow the heating hoses through the engine bay feeling the temperature along the way. Do this also under the dash and you will probably feel where the problem is.
Life is a journey, so sit back and enjoy the ride!

Born Built Beauties: Parts keeping our cars on the road!

http://www.Born-Built-Beauties.eu

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 04 Dec 2012 07:51 pm

volvomania wrote:Does the heatervalve still open fully?
What I would do is to let the engine warm up and follow the heating hoses through the engine bay feeling the temperature along the way. Do this also under the dash and you will probably feel where the problem is.

i dont know, how do i find out?
only felt for heat from the vents so far, and around windows for air coming in the car
will have to try feeling for heat from hoses in engine bay and dash

thanks for the tip :)

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 05 Dec 2012 11:08 am

Heater valve is in engine bay from my memory at least, just follow heater hoses, those thick black ones that go to heater box, it is attached to one of them hoses.

It can get clogged or it can be that cables moving it are not operating very well.

How is your engine temperature after replacing thermostat?

We have -30C days now, so people are putting cardboard covers to their car fronts.

Summer diesel in french crap's tank is not in liquid form anymore, so must wait spring to drive again :lol:
Volvo 360GL -88 -under restoration-
Volvo 343DL vario -81 -running- Image
Volvo 240 Diesel -83 -undecided-
Citroen ZX Dturbo -97 -daily- ImageImage

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 05 Dec 2012 10:31 pm

jtbo wrote:Heater valve is in engine bay from my memory at least, just follow heater hoses, those thick black ones that go to heater box, it is attached to one of them hoses.

It can get clogged or it can be that cables moving it are not operating very well.

How is your engine temperature after replacing thermostat?

We have -30C days now, so people are putting cardboard covers to their car fronts.

Summer diesel in french crap's tank is not in liquid form anymore, so must wait spring to drive again :lol:
temperature goes to about halfway, where the lightbulb is, dunno how hot it is then
is the heater valve easy to un-clog?

people do that here around minus 20 :lol:
but i think i would have had a problem if it got that cold, my lungs dont work when its that cold :lol:

a friend of mine already has some problem with his french diseasel, wont start anymore, volvo keeps on going thou!

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 06 Dec 2012 12:50 am

tim-andre wrote: temperature goes to about halfway, where the lightbulb is, dunno how hot it is then

but i think i would have had a problem if it got that cold, my lungs dont work when its that cold :lol:

a friend of mine already has some problem with his french diseasel, wont start anymore, volvo keeps on going thou!
I don't think it is worth to un-clog it, probably just starts to leak next, but new one should not be very expensive and I think those are still available from parts shops. I have image in my head that it would be easy to swap, but it can be wrong image, anyway I think it was below heater box above bellhousing, somewhere there that valve, but indeed my memory is not too great and can be wrong on this one.

Too cold to go look, also there is snow on top of 360 as it is not in garage, because there is house related project going on at the garage, so can't check now.

Most annoying bit is perhaps those cables, especially on cold, one can't use warm gloves either on that job and generally very annoying cold, tiny, hard, sharp cables that are probably tight, so in addition of freezing hands there will probably be some cuts too, then if engine is hot also some burns to exhaust manifold too, that is usually what happens to me, not difficult really, just annoying :lol:

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 06 Dec 2012 09:04 pm

jtbo wrote:
tim-andre wrote: temperature goes to about halfway, where the lightbulb is, dunno how hot it is then

I don't think it is worth to un-clog it, probably just starts to leak next, but new one should not be very expensive and I think those are still available from parts shops. I have image in my head that it would be easy to swap, but it can be wrong image, anyway I think it was below heater box above bellhousing, somewhere there that valve, but indeed my memory is not too great and can be wrong on this one.

Too cold to go look, also there is snow on top of 360 as it is not in garage, because there is house related project going on at the garage, so can't check now.

Most annoying bit is perhaps those cables, especially on cold, one can't use warm gloves either on that job and generally very annoying cold, tiny, hard, sharp cables that are probably tight, so in addition of freezing hands there will probably be some cuts too, then if engine is hot also some burns to exhaust manifold too, that is usually what happens to me, not difficult really, just annoying :lol:
maybe haynes will have the answer, when i figure out what heater valve is in swedish (i got a swedish haynes manual)
and i think that its a good thing that i can stand inside at work and do this :lol:

jtbo

Post by jtbo » 07 Dec 2012 11:10 am

Värmare ventil, not too far from varmeapparat ventil, but I'm not sure if that is bokmål, nynorsk or kvääni, however I think kvääni was northern language?

That is just what translator spite on me.

Jeg får værmeldingene fra yr.no, so I know only few words and very little swedish, should learn more actually as there are some things I have not been able to read because of this limitation.

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 07 Dec 2012 09:36 pm

jtbo wrote:Värmare ventil, not too far from varmeapparat ventil, but I'm not sure if that is bokmål, nynorsk or kvääni, however I think kvääni was northern language?

That is just what translator spite on me.

Jeg får værmeldingene fra yr.no, so I know only few words and very little swedish, should learn more actually as there are some things I have not been able to read because of this limitation.
okay, you got me, im lazy, i have not opened the book yet :lol: its in bokmål, samisk i think is kvääni?

ahh, yr.no and storm.no i use, then i get some picture of what the weather is, none of them is usually right anyway

google translate is good most of times

tim-andre

Post by tim-andre » 08 Dec 2012 03:56 pm

have not found the heater valve in the haynes manual, but found bleed nipple, can the heater blow cold if its not properly bled? always thought these cars where self bleeding when it came to this